OT: - The Grass Isn't Always Greener for Transfers | The Boneyard

OT: The Grass Isn't Always Greener for Transfers

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two decisions over the past couple of years by the NCAA to allow all 2020-2021 college athletes 5 years of eligibility along with the rule granting 1st time transfers immediate eligibility has led to an explosion of transfers throughout college sports. This is especially the case in WBB, where opportunities to play professionally are limited at best. While many transfers have found happiness at their new schools, (think Dorka :) and Lou :)) it has hardly been the case for every transfer.

Players transfer for many reasons: better environment, better coaching, more PT, closer to home, opportunity to play for a championship team or “all of the above.” Last season, the two most noteworthy transfers in all of WBB left the University of MD’s perennial top-10 program for greener pastures. Angel Reese has thrived as “Bayou Barbie” for Kim Mulky’s LSU Tiger team. But Reese’s former teammate, Ashley Owusu has floundered at VA Tech.

When star shooting guard and AA Ashley Owusu announced her decision to join forces with dominant 6’6” post and ACC POY Elizabeth Kitley at VA Tech, many pundits felt that the Hokies would win the ACC and make a deep run in the postseason. As it is, VA Tech finished a game back of ND during the ACC regular season, subsequently winning the ACC Conference Tournament convincingly. But VA Tech’s accomplishments have little to do with Owusu.

Owusu started her first 7 games at VA Tech, putting up decent numbers against primarily a cupcake schedule. But unfortunately, Owusu broke her pinky in December, and missed a bunch of games. During that period of time, Kayana Traylor stepped in for Owusu as the #2 guard, putting up similar numbers against better, in-conference competition, while playing much tougher defense than Owusu.

When Owusu returned in late January, HC Kenny Brooks tried to work her back into the rotation, but Owusu’s performance was lackluster at best. At the same time, VA Tech began to look like a dominant WBB team, winning their last 11 conference matchups including the ACC tournament. To add insult to injury, in 4 of the last 5 VA Tech games a fully healthy Owusu didn’t play a single minute.

Coach Brooks has been diplomatic, indicating that Owusu’s injury prevented her from fully integrating with the team. But the underlying message in his comment is that the Hokies are a better team without Owusu in the lineup, something that is stunning when you consider that she was one of the very best one-on-one scorers in all of WBB at MD. While Owusu still has a 5th year of eligibility, she has indicated that she will forego the extra year and make herself available for the upcoming WNBA draft.

I don’t mean to pick on Owusu. She seems like a nice young lady with a strong work ethic. Of all the transfers after last season, she was the one I most coveted to become a Husky. I’m sure the BY can come up with dozens of transfers who met with similar disappointment at their new school. It is a reminder to all of us that in sports, as well as life, nothing is guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Two decisions over the past couple of years by the NCAA to allow all 2020-2021 college athletes 5 years of eligibility along with the rule granting 1st time transfers immediate eligibility has led to an explosion of transfers throughout college sports. This is especially the case in WBB, where opportunities to play professionally are limited at best. While many transfers have found happiness at their new schools, (think Dorka :) and Lou :)) it has hardly been the case for every transfer.

Players transfer for many reasons: better environment, better coaching, more PT, closer to home, opportunity to play for a championship team or “all of the above.” Last season, the two most noteworthy transfers in all of WBB left the University of MD’s perennial top-10 program for greener pastures. Angel Reese has thrived as “Bayou Barbie” for Kim Mulky’s LSU Tiger team. But Reese’s former teammate, Ashley Owusu has floundered at VA Tech.

When star shooting guard and AA Ashley Owusu announced her decision to join forces with dominant 6’6” post and ACC POY Elizabeth Kitley at VA Tech, many pundits felt that the Hokies would win the ACC and make a deep run in the postseason. As it is, VA Tech finished a game back of ND during the ACC regular season, subsequently winning the ACC Conference Tournament convincingly. But VA Tech’s accomplishments have little to do with Owusu.

Owusu started her first 7 games at VA Tech, putting up decent numbers against primarily a cupcake schedule. But unfortunately, Owusu broke her pinky in December, and missed a bunch of games. During that period of time, Kayana Traylor stepped in for Owusu as the #2 guard, putting up similar numbers against better, in-conference competition, while playing much tougher defense than Owusu.

When Owusu returned in late January, HC Kenny Brooks tried to work her back into the rotation, but Owusu’s performance was lackluster at best. At the same time, VA Tech began to look like a dominant WBB team, winning their last 11 conference matchups including the ACC tournament. To add insult to injury, in 4 of the last 5 VA Tech games a fully healthy Owusu didn’t play a single minute.

Coach Brooks has been diplomatic, indicating that Owusu’s injury prevented her from fully integrating with the team. But the underlying message in his comment is that the Hokies are a better team without Owusu in the lineup, something that is stunning when you consider that she was one of the very best one-on-one scorers in all of WBB at MD. While Owusu still has a 5th year of eligibility, she has indicated that she will forego the extra year and make herself available for the upcoming WNBA draft.

I don’t mean to pick on Owusu. She seems like a nice young lady with a strong work ethic. Of all the transfers after last season, she was the one I most coveted to become a Husky. I’m sure the BY can come up with dozens of transfers who met with similar disappointment at their new school. It is a reminder to all of us that in sports, as well as life, nothing is guaranteed.
Broken pinky’s can take much longer to heal completely than the larger bones in your hand. Just saying.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Owusu's game (ball dominant) is very difficult to integrate into an offense at any time, but particularly well into the season. She is most effective when she controls the ball on offense, She's very good off ball-screens with her strong mid-range shot. She's also a very good passer, can overpower defenders driving to the basket and can post up smaller guards. She is not, however, an especially good 3-point shooter and is not a (shooting) guard who is going to run her defenders off screens. With Amoore playing so well for VT there isn't really a role for Owusu unless Brooks were to move Amoore to the shooting guard. That would probably disrupt the offensive rhythm VT has developed throughout the season.

For the reasons I mentioned, I never saw Owusu as a good fit for UConn. She doesn't move without the ball well enough to play the shooting guard. That's why Lou, with her constant movement, has been the perfect fit.

Reaction Score
As you stated oldude, Owusu is a one on one player, which is best suited for the WNBA. She has to have the ball in her hands to be effective. Kenny saw something because they have been playing great team ball. That ball moves too quick in VA Tech’s offense for her to be in the lineup. It’s sad to see her on the bench with the “fake” and “uninspired” hand claps for her teammates. They get up to cheer while she remains seated. However, I can’t imagine what she’s going through. An AA sitting on the bench and not getting any playing time.

Regarding transfers, man, Abby Meyers looks so good for Maryland. She can score and play defense. She is one that I wanted at UCONN.

Reaction Score
You would think a player, before they choose a school to go to, would evaluate the style of play of that school. Uconn's style on offense is ball movement and passing, and a lot less one/on/one play. This young lady did not make a good choice.

Reaction Score
As you stated oldude, Owusu is a one on one player, which is best suited for the WNBA. She has to have the ball in her hands to be effective. Kenny saw something because they have been playing great team ball. That ball moves too quick in VA Tech’s offense for her to be in the lineup. It’s sad to see her on the bench with the “fake” and “uninspired” hand claps for her teammates. They get up to cheer while she remains seated. However, I can’t imagine what she’s going through. An AA sitting on the bench and not getting any playing time.

Regarding transfers, man, Abby Meyers looks so good for Maryland. She can score and play defense. She is one that I wanted at UCONN.
So we got Lou instead. I think that worked out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the challenges for any HC who is attempting to integrate transfers into a regular rotation is that it takes time, something discussed by Coach Brooks when responding to questions about the inability of Owusu to find a role at Va Tech. Owusu was one of 2 high profile transfers brought in by the Hokies this season.

The other transfer, Taylor Soule from BC, took some time to become acclimated to Coach Brooks system. But Soule has remained healthy and is now a mainstay of VA Tech’s starting 5.

Every school, including UConn, has struggled with the process of integrating transfers. With that said, Lou is the exception. No transfer I know of has been able to seemlessly step in to a critical role at a demanding D1 program like Lou has done at UConn. That’s a testament to Lou’s ability, intelligence and commitment.

Reaction Score
One of the challenges for any HC who is attempting to integrate transfers into a regular rotation is that it takes time, something discussed by Coach Brooks when responding to questions about the inability of Owusu to find a role at Va Tech. Owusu was one of 2 high profile transfers brought in by the Hokies this season.

The other transfer, Taylor Soule from BC, took some time to become acclimated to Coach Brooks system. But Soule has remained healthy and is now a mainstay of VA Tech’s starting 5.

Every school, including UConn, has struggled with the process of integrating transfers. With that said, Lou is the exception. No transfer I know of has been able to seemlessly step in to a critical role at a demanding D1 program like Lou has done at UConn. That’s a testament to Lou’s ability, intelligence and commitment.
Dorka seems to have integrated well since transferring from Ohio State.

Reaction Score
Some programs need to utilize the transfer portal but UCONN isn't one of them. The reason I have this opinion is the better schools have great recruits that have committed to the program and in many cases came in and done the work without the expectation of playing right away. If a transfer comes in and immediately takes the place of one of these players it sends the wrong message to new recruits. I have seen it more in football than basketball but it can have a lasting impact.

With that said UCONN has benefitted from having a couple Graduate Transfers this season that really played an important part of their success. I always looked at kids who complete their commitment to a school differently than those who just up and leave.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With that said UCONN has benefitted from having a couple Graduate Transfers this season that really played an important part of their success. I always looked at kids who complete their commitment to a school differently than those who just up and leave.
Interesting distinction. Taylor Soule, who has figured things out at VA Tech, is a graduate transfer, having completed 4 years at BC while earning her degree.

Reaction Score
And looking at our own transfers, I was surprised to see that Piath Gabriel, the muscular 6'5" post player who left for UMass-Amherst, has made no impact at all. One would have thought that playing with a lesser team in a lesser league would have provided lots of opportunities to shine for Gabriel. But she's played in just eleven games, logging barely 40 minutes, making just six baskets in total and three free throws. Not sure the story there, but transferring did not result in success. At least, it didn't for her first season there.

Reaction Score
Like others have said and we all know, there is always a chance a transfer player may or may not work out. There are a few that are working out well for their programs and some that are struggling. A player gets injured. That delays their chance of developing that on the court chemistry. There are so many variables that come into play when a player transfers to another program. We got lucky with Lou this season and Dorka has worked out this year vs last year.

Reaction Score
Broken pinky’s can take much longer to heal completely than the larger bones in your hand. Just saying.
I broke my pinky twice once getting stepped on and the other time jammed by the ball both on my shooting hand and really didn’t effect me that much to be honest I wore a splint and still could shoot and dribble with no issues .. maybe because I’m a guy and have bigger hands ?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And looking at our own transfers, I was surprised to see that Piath Gabriel, the muscular 6'5" post player who left for UMass-Amherst, has made no impact at all. One would have thought that playing with a lesser team in a lesser league would have provided lots of opportunities to shine for Gabriel. But she's played in just eleven games, logging barely 40 minutes, making just six baskets in total and three free throws. Not sure the story there, but transferring did not result in success. At least, it didn't for her first season there.

Saylor is on the other side of the coin as it relates to the OP and she excelled at her new school. She wasn't a scoring machine as most people thought she would be but did become a good rebounder and in the paint player.
But I am still POed that she left.

Reaction Score
Like others have said and we all know, there is always a chance a transfer player may or may not work out. There are a few that are working out well for their programs and some that are struggling. A player gets injured. That delays their chance of developing that on the court chemistry. There are so many variables that come into play when a player transfers to another program. We got lucky with Lou this season and Dorka has worked out this year vs last year.
Agreed. Same could be said about recruits. Some players don't work out, and some succeed beyond any expectations. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

That said, I'm thrilled that we got Lou and 2 years with Dorka.

Reaction Score
Dorka seems to have integrated well since transferring from Ohio State.
I agree that Dorka was a relatively smooth transition. In her case she is better this year than last, partly because this year she is a full time C, her natural position. Last year she was the third big in a three big rotation with Liv and Aaliyah, playing half the time as a 4 with Liv.

Even though Owusu was probably the highest ranked guard entering the portal last year, I always felt Abby Myers was our first choice and Lou was the second. Owusu is a very unique heavy set guard with a good handle that can overpower many guards. But she is also a very ball dominant one on one type player that I don't think was a good fit for Uconn's style.

Bye the way I think there are several experienced proven C types that had senior years interrupted by season ending injuries. Those are players that as a one year addition could make a significant impact on us next yeat at the only position where we don't have proven returning players. some of those are players who except for injury, might be ready for WNBA careers, but now may have a decision to make since they might not be ready for that season but could be back by the fall.

Reaction Score
With over 1000 women entering the transfer portal each year, we tend to focus on the top 1-2%. The bigger story may be what causes so many women to transfer and what was the final benefit to them, if any, of the move.

Reaction Score
Saylor is on the other side of the coin as it relates to the OP and she excelled at her new school. She wasn't a scoring machine as most people thought she would be but did become a good rebounder and in the paint player.
But I am still POed that she left.
Same, even though I try not to dwell on it much. She could’ve contributed a lot this year with her size and spacing.

Reaction Score
I broke my pinky twice once getting stepped on and the other time jammed by the ball both on my shooting hand and really didn’t effect me that much to be honest I wore a splint and still could shoot and dribble with no issues .. maybe because I’m a guy and have bigger hands ?
You probably had a hairline fracture, which is no problem. If it is in fact broken the smaller bones can be difficult when setting the break, especially if close to the knuckle. You were lucky.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With over 1000 women entering the transfer portal each year, we tend to focus on the top 1-2%. The bigger story may be what causes so many women to transfer and what was the final benefit to them, if any, of the move.
The largest group of transfers are looking for a 5th year somewhere. Many of these players were primarily reserves at their schools, who no longer will offer them scholarships. Many did not receive scholarship offers anywhere and will had to get on with their lives after college.

Last year there were 1,335 WBB transfers. 176 of those transfers, who were primarily grad students, were not offered scholarships anywhere.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if the end of the 5th Covid year will change the number of players entering the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom