The goal for the next 6 weeks. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The goal for the next 6 weeks.

Reaction Score
Not picking on you because it's been a popular opinion the past 2 days and your post just spurred me looking it up. But I really don't understand all the hand-wringing over Newton not being good. For the season he's averaging 11 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists a game, and the last 5 games against high major opponents he's been at 10 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists per game.

Would be nice if he could cut the turnovers down a bit from 3 a game, but I'm just not seeing this huge issue at PG everyone is talking about
I love Newton and think he is a very valuable piece of this team, but if you watch the Florida game again you will have to admit he was completely out of sorts. All we need is for him to play his regular game, he's a quality player. I'm just saying he wasn't his normal self against Florida. He looked fatigued or sick or something. Even though he was off, we still blew out a decent team on the road. When he returns to form, this team becomes an even tougher out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not picking on you because it's been a popular opinion the past 2 days and your post just spurred me looking it up. But I really don't understand all the hand-wringing over Newton not being good. For the season he's averaging 11 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists a game, and the last 5 games against high major opponents he's been at 10 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists per game.

Would be nice if he could cut the turnovers down a bit from 3 a game, but I'm just not seeing this huge issue at PG everyone is talking about
He carried us in a game and had a triple double. People want to see more of that I suppose. I think he can be better, but we don't want him to lead us in scoring. There is no huge issue at PG other than UConn fans thinking great teams require a PG to be the go to guy. Kelly, Smith, Sheffer, KEA, Price, Marcus, Kemba, Bazz. We've had some great ones, and I didn't even list Taliek or Ben who was effectively a Combo.

That triple double seems to be a double-edged sword. Kinda reminds me of Brimah's 40 point game where he ran the rim and had a bazillion alley oop dunks. It was such an outlier statistically you know you can't repeat it but you wonder if it opens up a higher ceiling than initially anticipated.

No one expects Newton to average a triple double, or most likely not get another one this season. It did show he can be an impact player and dominate a game but for UConn to play its best Newton has to be the third or fourth option on offense and be more of a distributor than primary scorer.

And he's struggling to find the balance. Part of that struggle is being confident when to shoot and when to pass. He's been weakest with those decisions while penetrating and trying to pass off the dribble. Cutting down the live ball TO's is a reasonable goal for him to improve during this season and it will directly help make UConn a better team.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Sanogo, Hawkins, and Jackson being the stars and Joey C., Newton, Alex and Diarra hitting daggers. I like it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Averages can be deceiving.

Newton's per game TO average on 11/26 was 1.7. If he hadn't commit 15 in his last three games, his per game average would be lower than 2.7 and the comments about it would be fewer.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So it’s clear Sanogo is the #1.
I'm not sure Sanogo is #1. As good as he is for the 1st 38, I don't trust him in the last 2. We've efforted to get him the ball in tight games over the last 2 years without much success. He misses bunnies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
20+ point scorers by game and the margin of win:

1. Nobody (31)
2. Sanogo (29)
3. Newton (20)
4. Sanogo, Hawkins (36)
5. Sanogo (35)
6. Newton (24)
7. Sanogo (15)
8. Nobody (18)
9. Sanogo, Hawkins (10)
10. Nobody (21)

So it’s clear Sanogo is the #1. Hawkins is the #2. Newton can sneak in there. So those are our go to guys.

If we ever get to a point where we need a “traditional” go to guy that just takes the ball in isolation and gets buckets, then our offense has failed. It’s clear that our system is designed around everybody getting their touches and we have the pieces to make sure that happens
Sanogo is not the #1 option with 15 seconds left, down 2. He takes too much time and doesn't recognize when he should pass out of it in time, if at all. He'd be good for a put back though.

Down 2 on the last possession, the lineup I'd put out there would be Sanogo, Clingan, Hawkins, Joey C. and either Jackson or Karaban. Actually, maybe both and take out Sanogo.

Regardless, Hawkins is my 1st option for the shot.

Reaction Score
Newton not playing like himself is the only issue. He’s got to find his game and lead this team. He’s the guy we have to create a shot, control the tempo and make free throws. He’s been too unselfish and needs to seek his offense.

We have so many weapons that it hasn’t mattered. When we are in an epic battle with 2-3 minutes left, our main weakness is going to be Newton not stepping up as our lead guard and Hurley having to put Diarra in to handle the pressure. Diarra is too erratic and turnover prone for that role at this point. Newton was a 17ppg guy at ECU. He is not a role player, he’s our point guard. We will pay down the line if he doesn’t get this figured out.

I agree 100% he is the key to the season all else being equal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That triple double seems to be a double-edged sword. Kinda reminds me of Brimah's 40 point game where he ran the rim and had a bazillion alley oop dunks. It was such an outlier statistically you know you can't repeat it but you wonder if it opens up a higher ceiling than initially anticipated.

No one expects Newton to average a triple double, or most likely not get another one this season. It did show he can be an impact player and dominate a game but for UConn to play its best Newton has to be the third or fourth option on offense and be more of a distributor than primary scorer.

And he's struggling to find the balance. Part of that struggle is being confident when to shoot and when to pass. He's been weakest with those decisions while penetrating and trying to pass off the dribble. Cutting down the live ball TO's is a reasonable goal for him to improve during this season and it will directly help make UConn a better team.
I'm kind of repeating myself with my sole comment in Chat last night, and highlighting that Newton took zero free throws in the past two games, but if I had a breakdown of 1st & 2nd half in the triple double game, I could offer the exact numbers.

By memory impression, Tristen was 2-9 FGs from the field in the 1st half against Buffalo. He finished the game 4-14, including 0-5 from 3.

In the 2nd half, he went right to the hole from beginning and finished 14-17 from the line, 22 points, in addition to the assists and rebounds.

To me, he got himself unstuck by drawing fouls, and I wish he'd done it last night. I still think it could be a function of not fully adjusting to AJax being in the lineup, and I still think it's a coaching priority to maximize an historic strength that is likely to pay dividends in close games when free throws for any source will be essential.

Might even be a worthy goal for the next two weeks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Or at least another nauseating plea to get the job back after he pooped the bed last season.
We're still more likely to get insistence that he's the cause of any success that may come, and zero responsibility for fanning flames of discord, shirked responsibility, broken commitment.

I never rule out a changed head or heart, or the power of genuine amends toward rekindling embers that may still exist, but that's my generous spirit & willingness to work as a team, not my current betting line.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're still more likely to get insistence that he's the cause of any success that may come, and zero responsibility for fanning flames of discord, shirked responsibility, broken commitment.

I never rule out a changed head or heart, or the power of genuine amends toward rekindling embers that may still exist, but that's my generous spirit & willingness to work as a team, not my current betting line.
Well, spoken and well reasoned. My response?

“He’s dead to me.”

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
How about this... we keep winning games by double digits the whole year, and we don't need "a guy".

Problem solved.

Reaction Score
How about this... we keep winning games by double digits the whole year, and we don't need "a guy".

Problem solved.

Short sighted thinking.

We’re likely going to have a moment or moments where we need an alpha dog and standing around in a circle wondering which one of 3-5 players is gonna be the guy isn’t going to work.

And again, I think it’s Hawkins. He just needs that last mental boost to take the final step there.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, spoken and well reasoned. My response?

“He’s dead to me.”
We're a diverse bunch, with room for many approaches & contributions, including yours above.

It is worth mentioning that I get to see the initial post in this thread but not the follow-ups (unless I log out), because he goes back-and-forth between putting on and taking me off Ignore, which is something I regard as cowardice unbefitting someone who wants to lead the fan base to another National Championship.

As always, the only unifying sentiment for when I may seem harsh in this forum is a distaste for overreaching, hubris, and punching down...and even there I recently let slide a comment that the 3 returning players from last year are "light-years" better than they were in the previous season, as though "notably" or even "markedly" improved wouldn't have made the point.

We have much to celebrate as this season takes shape. Some of the language here feels like needless power playing designed to puff oneself up by putting others down, and that's a sub-optimal way to treat teammates, which we are.

Reaction Score
@Spaceman213J , you are off by a year. Rip led the team in scoring as a frosh and Rash was a double digit scorer. Rip's sophomore year was KEA's freshman year and Rash had a reduced role while Rip was a 20 point scorer. Rip clearly established himself as the alpha during his frosh season.

Hawk is learning to move like Rip and Ray and physically is more like Ray than Rip but Rip had a much better handle than Hawk and could get himself free with the dribble.
I'm fine with Hawk's spot up shooting skills as is and if he just concentrates on refining his movement away from the ball to get himself free, I am good with it this season.

I don't think UConn needs Hawkins to be able to break his man down for UConn to become elite with end of clock situations.
Sorry, thanks for the correction. I kind of screwed up one of the points I was trying to make anyways.

I just mean that if Hawk can be a steady force 18-25 pts on any given night and not have any of the 0 or 2 ponts blips, it makes this team tough. Sanogo is legit and if DC stays steady as well, with their depth, they will have still 5- guys who could go off on any given night. With their defense, this team is built for a run in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom