The Freshmen are Fitting In | The Boneyard

The Freshmen are Fitting In

Reaction Score
I have all the confidence in the world that this years team WILL bring back Uconn's glory years and for MANY years to come. Uconn struck the motherload in recruitment and will be a No.1 again where they belong. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is the kind of report from a beat reporter I’ve been waiting for. If the upperclassmen are impressed with our freshmen, then so am I. This tells us they’re learning and adapting quite nicely.

Now we have an idea of where they are in the process of learning the system and blending in with the returning players. The sooner that happens, the more potent UConn becomes.

The deeper Geno can go into his bench, the harder it will be to defeat them because fatigue won’t be a factor as it was in some games last year when the Huskies only dressed 7 players. Can you imagine dressing 14 healthy players? :eek:

Reaction Score
Hey the Courant didn't shut me out for no subscription!!!
In reading that article it brought tears to my eyes as after the past 2 injury filled years with 70+ points sitting on the bench, this group of young women deserve to have a season where they all can shine with their individual talents! As well as a team blending into a seamless unit! We fans don't know the half of how these girls with their high hopes are shot down each time a teammate goes down and they realize their dreams are being shattered!
I know there are other top programs with star filled lineups but you hear so much about how close these girls are all day/every day!
They are inseparable! To meals, classes, practices, an the occasional field trip to events like the CT Suns at Mohegan Sun!
And if there is an injured player the rest make sure they are still included in all team activities!
The best coaching staff in Division I WCBB also deserve to show what they can do with a full healthy lineup!
Gosh I can't wait for October and November to get here!

Reaction Score
This is the kind of report from a beat reporter I’ve been waiting for. If the upperclassmen are impressed with our freshmen, then so am I. This tells us they’re learning and adapting quite nicely.

Now we have an idea of where they are in the process of learning the system and blending in with the returning players. The sooner that happens, the more potent UConn becomes.

The deeper Geno can go into his bench, the harder it will be to defeat them because fatigue won’t be a factor as it was in some games last year when the Huskies only dressed 7 players. Can you imagine dressing 14 healthy players? :eek:
I loved Paige's response in her interview about "going 100%, but being smart about it!" This was in response to Hudy telling her that even the racing teams that are are at the top of the sport need to take pitstops to refuel, etc.

The deeper bench strength this year should enable substitutions so Geno & company can talk to the players coming off the floor so they can fix things during the game and keep them fixed, as well as getting the starters a chance to recover [breathing time] inside the game. That will allow the entire team to go at 100% without worrying about "running out of gas" and avoid making those silly exhaustion fouls that come from combined mental and physical exahaustion.

I am positive that Geno will not fall into the VanDeveer substitution frenzy where the players on the floor do not mesh because they do not get more than one minute of time together before more "mixing occurs" with substitutions. It will be interseting to see if the full swaps (five in/five out) ala Doug Bruno of previous years will happen in the upcoming year.

In the way-too-early rankings [yes, it is ESPN's Creme...], UCONN is #2 to LSU, but South Carolina is #8 (won't stay that way for the Gamecocks) with Utah & Ohio State ahead of them. I think #2 for UCONN is good, because it feeds the "underdog mentality" of "we will show you, when it really matters" when it is lose and go home OR win and stay in! :cool::):cool:[stay positive, my friends!]

I was happy to see that each interview [6/14] with the returning players is that the only opinions that matter are their teammates and their coaches, because "they see how hard each one is working, and all the hard work will pay off in March" [and April - my addition]. Paige's takeaway from last year's time as 'Coach P': "the little things that the coaches are harping on now will come back to bite you in March, IF you don't fix them now. It's the little things that make the big things better."

I believe the biggest parts of the Summer sessions for our beloved Huskies are the positive mental approach, and the positive relationship building between the players, plus the players and coaches. With the work ethic that the new freshmen plus Jana & Ice [SIX new players from last year when you add in former POY Paige Beckers - who at 90% is better than nearly all college women basketball players] are bringing to the court, I am hopeful they will see plenty of competitive minutes on the court during the eighteen conference games, and the Big East Tourney, so they will not look like Freshmen in the NCAA tourney and be able to positively contribute on the six game run to the NC!

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230621_145540_Instagram.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog