OT: - The eight perfectly made films | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: The eight perfectly made films

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn’t they make three versions? I believe one with Errol Flynn, one with Kevin Costner, and another one with Russell Crowe. There were a couple other lower budget efforts. I hope you mean the Flynn version.
Maybe he means the Mel Brooks version?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The youtube link in the OP presented the eight movies that have perfect 100 scores from Metacritic. That’s a high bar in that none of the critics can dislike a movie, but none has to love it.
Thanks - I finally followed the links and found the site and their mission and their rating system. Checked a sample movie - Psycho and found it scored 97 with most of the critics rating it 100 but a few mostly dating back to much earlier (1960) finding it too gross.

So the perfect movies are in fact movies that all critics rate in the top range and has nothing to do with how they were made, or their casts, etc. But I find it interesting because a film like Casablanca had very mixed reviews when it was released so they didn't look too hard for the contemporary reviews for that film, but a film like Psycho they find enough contemporary reviews to down grade. Interesting note - Psycho and Notorious both have a bad review from the critics but they have more and more perfect reviews for the second.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As for Robin Hood - minimum of 18 versions to choose from:

Reaction Score
I would watch any film directed by Ridley Scott or Tony Scott who is either his son or his brother.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn’t they make three versions? I believe one with Errol Flynn, one with Kevin Costner, and another one with Russell Crowe. There were a couple other lower budget efforts. I hope you mean the Flynn version.
I do. That's a movie that I will also stop to watch.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I know of at least 5 versions, and the version in question was with Flynn.?

Reaction Score
3 movies I haven’t seen named that I will stop to watch anytime are Chariots of Fire, Crazy Heart and 12 Monkeys.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
you forgot:

1620412273592.png

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
and maybe:

1620412675749.png

Not that either belongs in a perfectly made movie discussion.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's an entire section of the Child Ballads devoted to songs of Robin Hood. There are 38 if I counted properly. (I was going to remark that there are probably just about as many about Prince Charlie Stuart, but shockingly Child has none.)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I’m glad that some have mentioned 12 Angry Men.

I don’t claim that it was a technically outstanding film but one that I think is absolutely thought provoking is Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams.

Reaction Score
I'd have to put The Shining as a top entry in the horror genre. I'm still not quiet sure what the movie is about (nor did Kubrick), but holy crap does each scene provide a sense of suspense, eeriness & madness. Jack was also at the top of his game...Here's Johnny! Its a movie that has gotten better with time, especially with so many directors ripping off the concept for the past 40 years...

Reaction Score
In no particular order

As Good as it Gets
The Big Lebowski
Blazing Saddles
The Godfather II
Rear Window
Hoosiers
Silence of the Lambs
The World According To Garp

and a 100 more recently "The Father" was beautifully acted.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Didn't think when I posted Robin Hood that it would get so many follow up posts, just shows how many people were into one version or another. It looks like a run away for the version with Flynn.
I was just hit in the head remembering how much I enjoyed "The Kings Speech" the movie really opened my eyes to how good an actor Collin Firth is.

Reaction Score
I would agree with The Shining, though once was enough for me. Others:
Chinatown, Holiday, Casablanca, almost any Hitchcock, The Devil Wears Prada, Schindler's List, Godfather, All About Eve.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
some more perfect essays with feet firmly planted in history.
the last emperor
scarface 'i want my chuman rights!' lol.

fiddler on the roof is pretty good, too.

Reaction Score
The 1938 version is widely considered the best. It has the best villain, none other than Basil Rathbone, later to be the quintessential Sherlock Holmes, as Guy of Gisbourne. Little John was played by John Hale, whose son, John Hale Jr., was the skipper on Gilligan's Isle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The 1938 version is widely considered the best. It has the best villain, none other than Basil Rathbone, later to be the quintessential Sherlock Holmes, as Guy of Gisbourne. Little John was played by John Hale, whose son, John Hale Jr., was the skipper on Gilligan's Isle.
Ironically Basil Rathbone was pretty good fencer, one of the better in Hollywood, but there was no way Sir Guy could win on screen.

Reaction Score
Ironically Basil Rathbone was pretty good fencer, one of the better in Hollywood, but there was no way Sir Guy could win on screen.
True. I just watched it again. Maybe the best sword fight ever on screen. Both actors could fence, but in real life, I take Sir Guy and the over/under is 30 seconds.

Reaction Score
The Devil Wears Prada?
Yes, I absolutely love Meryl Streep in that film. Of course, I lived in Manhattan for many years so I was familiar with the fashion industry and the attitude of some of the characters in that film. I know it’s not for everyone—-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom