The Day the Music Died | The Boneyard

The Day the Music Died

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
With all the Cincy angst and the Super Bowl hoopla, I neglected to post this yesterday. February 3, 1959 was the date of the Iowa plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens. Famously referred to by some as the day the music died in an iconic song by Don McLean, it hardly seems 60 years ago.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With all the Cincy angst and the Super Bowl hoopla, I neglected to post this yesterday. February 3, 1959 was the date of the Iowa plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens. Famously referred to by some as the day the music died in an iconic song by Don McLean, it hardly seems 60 years ago.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was a freshman in college when a friend gave me the news after a class.

Reaction Score

Think what rock music might've been like if he had not gone on that plane ride...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
After they played that winter dance party, buddy was carrying around a suitcase full of cash and was carrying a gun for protection..there were rumors a fight broke out on board the plane and buddy accidentally shot the pilot in the back. That didnt happen..a couple months after the plane wreckage was cleaned up, a farmer found buddy's gun and shot one round into the air, and that was why one bullet was missing..also, the big bopper was thrown from the plane quite a distance and every bone in his body was literally shattered, so there was no way he crawled or stumbled or was even alive aftet the crash. They couldnt find the pilot at first, but finally realized his body was rolled up with the wreckage, as for holly and valens, they suffered gruesome injuries as well

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was a freshman in college when a friend gave me the news after a class.

I was a little younger that that, but I too remember hearing about it on the local TV newscasts. I knew who they were. Their music was on all of the local top 40 radio stations here in the southland. A sad day indeed. :(

Reaction Score
The music did not die that day, some legends of our time did though. As a big Danny Gatton fan, another great that met an early demise all be it by his own hands. I have always liked his cover of Buddy Holly's It Doesn't Matter Anymore.
It was only recently I realized the song was actually written by Paul Anka.

danny gatton it doesn't matter anymore - Yahoo Video Search Results
Not to take anything away from the OP, Buddy, Bopper or Valens. This is on my regular play list and I just love me some Tele twang. For those that go deeper Danny's sax player was none other than Bill Holloman a Connecticut native who as we say back in the day was a regular on the local scene.
Bill Holloman - Wikipedia
Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens. Along with Danny and so many others may the continue to
RIP........

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom