OT: - The Color My World Memorial Guilty Pleasure Thread | The Boneyard

OT: The Color My World Memorial Guilty Pleasure Thread

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I figured this was worth its own thread. In the 'Rock Lead Singer' thread, we uncovered a bunch of folks who like songs that many consider "mindless fluff" (e.g. Color My World) or worse "sellout pop garbage" (e.g. We Built This City).

But we're all human and we all have weaknesses. Everyone has at least one song they like a lot that their peers would scoff at.

Here are my guilty pleasures when it comes to music:

1. Drive (Cars)
2. Oh Babe, What Would You Say (Hurricane Smith)
3. Brand New Key (Melanie)
4. Fernando/Waterloo (ABBA)
5. Livin' La Vida Loca (Ricky Martin)

Mock all you want. But when you mock, post your own.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
La vida loca is cring worthy lol.

1) whomp there it is - tag team
2) i wanna sex you up - color me badd
3) party in the usa - miley cyrus

A burden has been lifted.

Reaction Score
I like every single Kiiara song. Every time I show it to people they just look at me weird.

Reaction Score
I figured this was worth its own thread. In the 'Rock Lead Singer' thread, we uncovered a bunch of folks who like songs that many consider "mindless fluff" (e.g. Color My World) or worse "sellout pop garbage" (e.g. We Built This City).

But we're all human and we all have weaknesses. Everyone has at least one song they like a lot that their peers would scoff at.

1. Drive (Cars)

Storrsroars is riddin dirty

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like every single Kiiara song. Every time I show it to people they just look at me weird.

I had to go look that up to learn who it was.

I am so grateful I grew up pre-autotune.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I have been called out for enjoying Sade and P.O.D.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I love the Flashdance soundtrack. These two hotties from the 80's could sing...

Laura Branigan Gloria

In another lifetime back in Stamford in the early 80s, my condo building offered free aerobics classes. Those two songs were standards, but the ones I liked the most were Whitney Houston - How Would I Know, and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

Although once class was over, I wouldn't hear them again until the next class. Time and place for everything, lol.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

1. Drive (Cars)

Guilty, I guess. I still have my 45 RPM'ers of Nos. 2 and 4(b). I also have an ABBA's Greatest Hits CD, which obviously includes both No. 4 items.

I don't like "Brand New Key" but I do have the 45 RPM of the Melanie song "Lay Down".

Some others for me..."Wedding Bell Blues" by "The Fifth Dimension", "The Rain, The Park and Other Things" by "The Cowsills" and "Our House" by "Crosby Stills Nash and Young".

I mock no one.

Reaction Score
I may have posted this before, but if I have it still won’t lessen the embarrassment. And before you judge, tell me it doesn’t sound like a No Doubt song.

Reaction Score
In another lifetime back in Stamford in the early 80s, my condo building offered free aerobics classes. Those two songs were standards, but the ones I liked the most were Whitney Houston - How Would I Know, and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

Although once class was over, I wouldn't hear them again until the next class. Time and place for everything, lol.
Those songs are great, big fan of early Whitney. People can rip on a lot of the 80's stuff as overproduced synthed out pop schlock all they want but so many of those artists had talent, you actually had to sing back then.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
4.... Waterloo (ABBA)
Import copy of their first album also had it in Swedish, and it was my favorite track.
For it to be a guilty pleasure, it has to be an artist whose fame is large enough that I question the taste of many who listen and don't want to be associated with them. And there are many famous bands and singers I do not like to listen to and don't. I'm not going to get into individual songs, though I admit this is a better question and more what OP had in mind.

I spent almost a year doing a bosu/pilates class with Madonna's "Confessions on a Dance Floor" as its soundtrack. Within two weeks of the instructor changing the music I was out of the class. I was there for the music. A few years later, I had never listened to Lady Gaga's "The Fame" and she was mega-famous so I gave it a curiosity try and I instantly loved it. Similarly, I started with Taylor Swift at "1989,“ and then went back and learned I like all of her albums.

On the male side, I don't know why but I've always felt a bit defensive about how much I can enjoy Chris Isaak, Peter Gabriel, and John Mellencamp.

Finally, after nearly half a century as a hold out, I listened to all major releases by Led Zeppelin and was able to put together a 26 song playlist that I like a lot. I'm not interested in even one more song, and I know that I'm 'missing' many folks' favorites.

Reaction Score
Import copy of their first album also had it in Swedish, and it was my favorite track.
For it to be a guilty pleasure, it has to be an artist whose fame is large enough that I question the taste of many who listen and don't want to be associated with them. And there are many famous bands and singers I do not like to listen to and don't. I'm not going to get into individual songs, though I admit this is a better question and more what OP had in mind.

I spent almost a year doing a bosu/pilates class with Madonna's "Confessions on a Dance Floor" as its soundtrack. Within two weeks of the instructor changing the music I was out of the class. I was there for the music. A few years later, I had never listened to Lady Gaga's "The Fame" and she was mega-famous so I gave it a curiosity try and I instantly loved it. Similarly, I started with Taylor Swift at "1989,“ and then went back and learned I like all of her albums.

On the male side, I don't know why but I've always felt a bit defensive about how much I can enjoy Chris Isaak, Peter Gabriel, and John Mellencamp.

Finally, after nearly half a century as a hold out, I listened to all major releases by Led Zeppelin and was able to put together a 26 song playlist that I like a lot. I'm not interested in even one more song, and I know that I'm 'missing' many folks' favorites.
Chris Isaak Wicked Game is one of the most chill songs you'll ever hear, that guy had a cool style.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A few years later, I had never listened to Lady Gaga's "The Fame" and she was mega-famous so I gave it a curiosity try and I instantly loved it. Similarly, I started with Taylor Swift at "1989,“ and then went back and learned I like all of her albums.

Wife and I did a lot of catering last few years we had our cafe. No matter what the nationality of bride and groom or country club or Elk's Club, Poker Face was gonna get played. Usually more than once. At that time there was nothing I liked at all about Gaga, but dammit if I weren't humming that crap the next morning. I eventually accepted Gaga after the Tony Bennett album - she was amazing doing the standards.

Not sure about Taylor Swift, but I imagine if I allowed myself, I could end up liking Katy Perry tunes. My total exposure to these women is from Super Bowl halftimes, lol.

Not sure why any of the guys listed would make one feel bad. Those are three solid artists. By early 80s Mellencamp was writing better stuff than Springsteen, IMO.

Reaction Score
Wife and I did a lot of catering last few years we had our cafe. No matter what the nationality of bride and groom or country club or Elk's Club, Poker Face was gonna get played. Usually more than once. At that time there was nothing I liked at all about Gaga, but dammit if I weren't humming that crap the next morning. I eventually accepted Gaga after the Tony Bennett album - she was amazing doing the standards.

Not sure about Taylor Swift, but I imagine if I allowed myself, I could end up liking Katy Perry tunes. My total exposure to these women is from Super Bowl halftimes, lol.

Not sure why any of the guys listed would make one feel bad. Those are three solid artists. By early 80s Mellencamp was writing better stuff than Springsteen, IMO.
I just noticed the other two names. Peter Gabriel and Mellencamp are great, can't imagine anyone getting defensive about liking them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love Glen Campbell. All of it. Forever.

It still blows my mind how they were trotting him out on stage with late stage Alzheimer’s,he pretty much didn’t even know his own name. And they’d hang a guitar on him and he would just shred.

There is a great Netflix doc about that last tour which is alternately heartbreaking and unbelievably inspirational.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It still blows my mind how they were trotting him out on stage with late stage Alzheimer’s,he pretty much didn’t even know his own name. And they’d hang a guitar on him and he would just shred.

There is a great Netflix doc about that last tour which is alternately heartbreaking and unbelievably inspirational.

Campbell was an amazing guitarist. I wouldn't mock a guitarist like yourself if he admitted to watching Hee Haw just for Roy Clark and some of the guest pickers they'd have on.

Which is why this reply is a cop out, unless you further admit that Rhinestone Cowboy was your favorite Campbell tune :)

The first time I saw that special on Campbell, which was a few years ago, I was moved and found it inspiring. Second time I saw it, last year on Netflix, I was more appalled and conflicted. I know the premise is that Glen wanted to make that film to show what Alzheimers does, but after awhile I felt he was being used and if he really had a clue what was being filmed, he might not go along with it. Yes, he could still play much of the time and even sing some, but it got embarrassing and I dunno, it just felt wrong watching it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Time Will Reveal" by DeBarge. (Volume goes way up on this one)

"Lost In Emotion" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

"You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper

"Hot Dog" by Led Zepplin

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Time Will Reveal" by DeBarge. (Volume goes way up on this one)

"Lost In Emotion" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

"You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper

"Hot Dog" by Led Zepplin

Now we're talking. THIS is a list, lol.

And curse you for putting You Spin Me Around in my head right before bedtime.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think it's that none of my friends who like music listened to any of them, so they were solo pleasures.

By the time of Scarecrow & Lonesome Jubilee, Mellencamp was so shockingly superior to the Johnny Cougar fabrication that he originally got saddled with, that it was hard for me to accept that I'd come to like him the most of all the regionally identified guys like Springsteen, Seger, Petty, etc. I did not listen to Genesis, nor get much out of Collins or Rutherford's solo work, so Gabriel also took me by surprise. And Isaak mixed earnest & cool in a strange way. I associate all 3 with MTV.

For an unusual initial access to Taylor Swift, try listening to Ryan Adam's full album 'cover' of 1989 a couple times first. Katy Perry I only saw during Super Bowl halftime and got nothing.

A bit more - I dislike and can't listen to the Eagles (except when played by a London busker & a solo act at a place in Naragansett with fire pits) but I love Don Henley's "Boys of Summer," "End of the Innocence," and "Heart of the Matter." That may be my truest answer.

Also that ethereal song by Spandau Ballet, and I wonder if I'd still like ABC's "Lexicon of Love."

Paging Spotify...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have watched it numerous times. I must admit I cannot stop crying. My wife has early onset dementia, so I can never get through the whole movie.
Glen was a big time session player before joining the Beach Boys and then becoming Glen Campbell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sign me up for 80's pop. Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work. I've said it before but it is some of the best bad music you will ever hear.

Lately I'm listening ch6 on Sirius. Good summer music.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom