The Colgate Game | The Boneyard

The Colgate Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How Colgate Made Breanna Stewart's Homecoming Game Possible

"Our gym holds, what -- 1,750? Obviously, we have a sellout," Colgate coach Nicci Hays Fort said, chuckling, about Cotterell Court. "Random people are texting and e-mailing, 'Do you have any tickets?' We're going to have a great environment. It's been a little crazy these last couple of days. But it's such a cool experience."

Awesome for Colgate. But are you wondering why UConn scheduled Stewart's trip "home" to a place that isn't actually her home? Well, it's because Syracuse said no to the request to play UConn.

Stewart: "It would have been nice to play at Syracuse. Just because it's literally five minutes from my house. But things happen, and I'm just happy Colgate is able to put us on their schedule."

"A lot of teams do that, not just Syracuse," Auriemma said of turning down a chance to play UConn. "I don't know what the reason was. But I'm not going to beg anybody to play us.

"There's always somebody who wants to play you. In the end, we're gonna make a trip there [to Colgate] and everybody's going to have a great time."

[LINK] to ESPN article.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
It's a shame that Syracuse turned down a chance to play UConn and perhaps get a sellout crowd.......Not exactly a show of courage or faith in your team. But maybe , just maybe , Geno will get a chance to play the Orangemen in a NCAA Tournament game. And maybe he will remember that Syracuse refused to allow Stewie a big Homecoming. And maybe when the game is over instead of being known as the Orangemen , they will be called Black and Blue.

GO HUSKIES!!!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The Colgate coach sounds like a thoroughly nice person. I bet her kids will remember this for a long time. And some restaurant in town will get to host Geno. Stewie's family is happy, the gym will be full, everybody's excited. (And a sharp stick in the eye to you, 'Cuse...)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Instead Syracuse schedules a game with Coppin State on the same day UConn is playing Colgate. That indicates a date was available, Coach Q just didn't want to cooperate with Geno and UConn. So they'll get attendance of 450-600 instead of 3500 or more. No National Media Attention and all the local Media attention will be given to Stewie and Colgate. Very Short sighted if you ask me.

Iowa and Iowa State wouldn't give Kiah Stokes a home game last year either. Both of those teams usually don't play tough OOC Schedules. Unlike Syracuse they usually have good home attendance for their games.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - I am guessing there are a lot of phone calls buzzing around the Syracuse campus right about now.

Syracuse Pres on the line with the AD: Did you know anything about this?! Who is in charge over there!! I want some answers!
PR Director on conference call with staff: OK, who has any ideas on how we spin this?! Anyone?! Anyone?! Bueller?!
Coach Q to his assistant: Anyone calls, I just left and you're not sure where I was headed or when I will be back!

TN fans were not exactly thrilled by the Suzie Arth/Michelle Voepel article about their loss and lack of 2016 recruits, but this goes a step further in the 'this is not good publicity' stakes. Michelle has taken the gloves off! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very shortsighted on the part of the coach or AD or whoever responsible for not accepting this challenge. It makes them look like a couple of wusses and tells their kids that they aren't god enough to play (who is)? Bet the kids are really excited about playing coppin state. LOL

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Just plain shameful. I'm glad Colgate agreed to pick up the game. My neighbor played there 05-09. However, c'mon Q don't be bitter.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I believe, KLM never got to play a game in So Cal..
Pacific, UC Davis and Stanford are nowhere near Anaheim.

Reaction Score
Based on the postings about how petty grown men and women can be, even when KIDS are involved.
What is all this CRAP they've been shouting for years---THE KIDS COME FIRST.
Stewie is a KID. To quote Kib---BFD--Stewied choose, keyword here CHOOSE, to go to UConn rather than that Orange school whose Men's coach is sanctioned or in the process.
Kids choose schools, schools may offer but the selection is done by the KID. Angry at Uconn or Geno or even Christine?? Bend, you won't break. Geno and Uconn fans have very long memories and the price WILL BE PAID.. Look up the definition of PETTY--it will be colored ORANGE.

Reaction Score
Did all those sour grapes make you pucker Q? What a jerk - but then most of us with a memory know what kind of guy he is since the tripgate game.
Geno allowed Maya to go off on 'Cuse and Q when some similar incident --incensed Geno and team.
Maya hit at least 40--and their tripping lady didn't get going.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
IIRC, UConn struggled to find... Tamika Williams? a homecoming game. Wright State stepped up.

Reaction Score
Geno allowed Maya to go off on 'Cuse and Q when some similar incident --incensed Geno and team.
Maya hit at least 40--and their tripping lady didn't get going.

Worse. That was the game with seriously chippy play (at best), where Doty tore her ACL again. THEN Maya went off.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Instead Syracuse schedules a game with Coppin State on the same day UConn is playing Colgate. That indicates a date was available, Coach Q just didn't want to cooperate with Geno and UConn. So they'll get attendance of 450-600 instead of 3500 or more. No National Media Attention and all the local Media attention will be given to Stewie and Colgate. Very Short sighted if you ask me.

Iowa and Iowa State wouldn't give Kiah Stokes a home game last year either. Both of those teams usually don't play tough OOC Schedules. Unlike Syracuse they usually have good home attendance for their games.
Maybe every coach doesn't want to play UConn and lose by 40 at home, when they can play a Coppin State and win by 40 at home. There is no obligation by any coach to schedule a "Home" game for a player that went elsewhere, if Stewie wanted to play at Syracuse then she could have gone to school there. It was her choice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It's a shame that Syracuse turned down a chance to play UConn and perhaps get a sellout crowd..Not exactly a show of courage or faith in your team. But maybe , just maybe , Geno will get a chance to play the Orangemen in a NCAA Tournament game. And maybe he will remember that Syracuse refused to allow Stewie a big Homecoming. And maybe when the game is over instead of being known as the Orangemen , they will be called Black and Blue.

GO HUSKIES!!!
Actually, I think they're known as The Orange these days. Gender neutral, I guess. Fits your story better as well.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Maybe every coach doesn't want to play UConn and lose by 40 at home, when they can play a Coppin State and win by 40 at home. There is no obligation by any coach to schedule a "Home" game for a player that went elsewhere, if Stewie wanted to play at Syracuse then she could have gone to school there. It was her choice.

Yup. And people dissing Syracuse for being sore, cowardly losers is their choice.

Reaction Score
It's a shame that Syracuse turned down a chance to play UConn and perhaps get a sellout crowd..Not exactly a show of courage or faith in your team. But maybe , just maybe , Geno will get a chance to play the Orangemen in a NCAA Tournament game. And maybe he will remember that Syracuse refused to allow Stewie a big Homecoming. And maybe when the game is over instead of being known as the Orangemen , they will be called Black and Blue.

GO HUSKIES!!!

There is ZERO chance that Syracuse would have sold out this game but I agree that it would have been a better game all around than playing Colgate.

Reaction Score

Absolutely not! There is literally NO WAY Stewie could have gone to Syracuse. It would have been utterly impossible for her to have won four consecutive national championships at Syracuse like she "did" at UConn, which as everyone knows was her stated intention. Just one would have been a miracle!

And, besides ...............if she had gone to Syracuse, she would not be "Stewie," she would still be just a plain old Breanna. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ACC teams are skeered of Uconn, and with good reason. If Duke and UNC duck UConn these days, it was because of the beatdowns regularly administered thereon. Even ND has dropped four in a row to UConn since the Irish migration to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Hillsman may be the worst college coach I have ever seen. I have followed Syracuse closely for the last four years. I have not seen one player improve significantly in that time. Some have digressed. I have travelled to several of their games when they play in the south, but recently I have given up on them. I can't handle the stress of watching him. He is an AAU coach that got a job because someone thought he could recruit. They forgot that eventually you have to play games. I really feel sorry for the girls because they have "sweet sixteen" talent and I am sure they would have loved to have faced UConn.

Is there any other top 20 team that draws under 450 people to there home games?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
IIRC, UConn struggled to find... Tamika Williams? a homecoming game. Wright State stepped up.
My wife and I drove to that game with our son who was six months old at the time. It was on New Year's Eve. I almost commented on this game in one of the Notre Dame-game threads. Why? UConn won by 58 points and there was a UConn fan complaining throughout the game about all of the mistakes he saw and how this might be okay against Wright State, but when UConn played Tennessee the following week we would be doomed. He was disparaging UConn's coaching and players' decision making. Between halves and after the game he was literally walking up and down the aisle sharing his concern. I can still hear his voice, "this isn't Tennessee, people." My point in bringing it up is that they guy could not be satisfied. A 60-point win was not enough for him to enjoy himself, appreciate his team and acknowledge the program's excellence. It's not exactly the same as the Notre Dame doom and gloom, but it's in the same ballpark.

BTW – I just looked it up, and the following week #1 UConn beat #2 Tennessee on the road 86-72 in front of the largest crowd to ever watch a women's basketball game. I wished I had that guy's phone number.

The Nutter Center was a nice facility and the people there were all very welcoming. It was enjoyable weekend, as my wife and I also experienced our first alcohol-free New Year's Eve celebration with our baby. The only downside is that I got into some Nutter Center database, so I still get five or six emails promoting events each year. Oh, yeah, and there was the speeding ticket on the way home that added insult to injury when the Ohio State Trooper pointed out that I had the same birthday as his dad -- even the same year. Major "I am getting old" moment.

I wish I could go to Colgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin