The Big12 Conundrum, Presented by Bowlsby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big12 Conundrum, Presented by Bowlsby

Reaction Score
I don't think that the Big 12 will dissolve before 2025....but I would not be surprised to see other Big 12 programs announce that they were not going to sign a new GOR and announce, down the road, that they were applying to XXX Conference for admittal consideration.
Agreed - that would be a great ploy for several reasons such as muddying the waters so much that no one would end up being held accountable legally in terms of any potential wrong doings. The end result is a draft of teams into the surviving conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't see any school ever signing a GOR ever again. There are probably 6 ACC schools that wish they could tear up their current GOR.
Maybe but the rest of the schools are grateful for them.

Reaction Score
I'll ask.

What is the military move Blauds is advocating? Going on an offensive?

->If I am Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby this is what I do AFTER I settle the money buyout that will allow SEC bound members Oklahoma and Texas to leave by the start of next season.

I go big--from 8 to 14 teams--by asking UCF and UCF and Cincinnati to come to my party..--which would give you a footprint in Florida and a top tier team in Cincinnati.

But then I would go radical.

I would convince Navy to move from the AAC, entice Army to leave its independence status in football and give myself western exposure by going after Air Force.

Combined, the three service academies have more market value than any teams the AAC could pick up.

It would give the conference a great rivalry game in Army-Navy, which could use as a lead rivalry weekend game, which could arguably also be the best rivalry in the Big 12.

There would have to be some heavy negotiations about television right fees and the danger of the Atlantic Coast Conference could make a late run to go to 16 with an Army-Navy addition, but that might be too fast a lane for both schools preference as a football only presence. <-

Reaction Score
would give the conference a great rivalry game in Army-Navy, which could use as a lead rivalry weekend game, which could arguably also be the best rivalry in the Big 12.
army-navy might get good ratings but what about the rest of their games?

if A LOT of people really cared about them wouldnt the AAC have added army sometime in the last 7 years? that always seemed like low hanging fruit they didnt even bother reaching for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had read Army has traditionally not been interested in revisiting conference alignment following their C-USA Football experience. My understanding was that they felt that independence allows them more flexibility to schedule the way they needed to meet recruiting (and competitive) goals.

Reaction Score

-> The duo of Shrum and Weiberg continued to be unrelenting toward their displeasure with their in-state academic and athletic counterparts, and their decisions. They also used the time to push the resume of the school both academically and athletically.

“We’ve got 52 national championships across all sports. We are the leader in the Big 12. We would go into three of the four other (Power 5) conferences,” Weiberg said.

Despite not going into specifics and naming other conferences, which didn’t happen with the only the Big 12 mentioned by name, they did say they'll continue to monitor the situation, but not begin to worry about the unknown.

“Control the things you can control. There’s going to be things that happen on the field, the court or the mat that you aren’t expecting, just control the things you can control,” Weiberg said. “That’s what we’re going to do.

“Let people know we’re here and we’re not going anywhere.” <-

Giddyup…

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

-> The duo of Shrum and Weiberg continued to be unrelenting toward their displeasure with their in-state academic and athletic counterparts, and their decisions. They also used the time to push the resume of the school both academically and athletically.

“We’ve got 52 national championships across all sports. We are the leader in the Big 12. We would go into three of the four other (Power 5) conferences,” Weiberg said.

Despite not going into specifics and naming other conferences, which didn’t happen with the only the Big 12 mentioned by name, they did say they'll continue to monitor the situation, but not begin to worry about the unknown.

“Control the things you can control. There’s going to be things that happen on the field, the court or the mat that you aren’t expecting, just control the things you can control,” Weiberg said. “That’s what we’re going to do.

“Let people know we’re here and we’re not going anywhere.” <-

Giddyup…
He buried the lead.

Reaction Score
->If I am Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby this is what I do AFTER I settle the money buyout that will allow SEC bound members Oklahoma and Texas to leave by the start of next season.

I go big--from 8 to 14 teams--by asking UCF and UCF and Cincinnati to come to my party..--which would give you a footprint in Florida and a top tier team in Cincinnati.

But then I would go radical.

I would convince Navy to move from the AAC, entice Army to leave its independence status in football and give myself western exposure by going after Air Force.

Combined, the three service academies have more market value than any teams the AAC could pick up.

It would give the conference a great rivalry game in Army-Navy, which could use as a lead rivalry weekend game, which could arguably also be the best rivalry in the Big 12.

There would have to be some heavy negotiations about television right fees and the danger of the Atlantic Coast Conference could make a late run to go to 16 with an Army-Navy addition, but that might be too fast a lane for both schools preference as a football only presence. <-

Poor Blaud… changed his mind - no military move for Big12 - it’s the ACC now!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom