The Azzi Experiment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Azzi Experiment

Reaction Score
I referenced Caitlin Clark in my OP. Out of curiosity, I took a look at her shooting stats from her NPOY season last year. She was 2nd in the nation in scoring at 27+ ppg behind only Maddy Siegrist. Clark was 3rd in the nation in shots per game behind Aneesh Morrow & Siegrist.

The “Holy Grail” of shooting is 50-40-90, something that I believe only Sabrina Ionescu has ever achieved. Clark did not hit a single one of the three milestones, shooting 47% from the field, 38% from the arc and 83% from the FT line, all respectable numbers. Those numbers placed her 106th, 45th and 64th respectively among all DI WBB players last season, and yet, most WBB fans and pundits consider Clark to be the best shooter in WBB. :oops:
I am curious about the number of Div 1 players in your analysis. Do you have that? Was there a minimum of shots taken or minutes played?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am curious about the number of Div 1 players in your analysis. Do you have that? Was there a minimum of shots taken or minutes played?
Just google “NCAA DI WBB stats” and you can look at all the numbers you can think of.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson's 2015-16 season is also worth a mention: .557/.431/.894 (42-47). A free throw away. And in 2014-15 Moriah almost achieved a 60/40 season: .587/.496/.843. Yes, that little middle school kid could play.

The peerless Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was 1 missed free throw from 50/40/90 in both of her All-American seasons (sophomore and senior years). KML shot .528/.492/.895 as a sophomore and .518/.488/.895 as a senior. She wasn't far from 50/50/90!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sabrina's stats by year:

.390/.420/.825

.468/.438/.805

.443/.429/.883

.518/.392/.921

Her senior season was the only year in which she was over .500 overall and over .900 on FTs, but also the only year in which her 3-point shooting dipped under .400. Thus, I don't see her having a season of 50/40/90.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sabrina's stats by year:

.390/.420/.825

.468/.438/.805

.443/.429/.883

.518/.392/.921

Her senior season was the only year in which she was over .500 overall and over .900 on FTs, but also the only year in which her 3-point shooting dipped under .400. Thus, I don't see her having a season of 50/40/90.
I stand corrected. Also worth noting that Kelsey Plum shot 54-42–88 her senior year to also just miss the Holy Grail.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
EDD was close to 50/40/90 most years, but never made it:

.477/.413/.898

.419/.350/.944

.520/.413/.889

.487/.452/.921

For her college CAREER, she shot 48/41/91.

As most of you know, she did achieve 50/40/90 for a season in the WNBA (2019). She was the MVP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Also worth noting that Kelsey Plum shot 54-42–88 her senior year to also just miss the Holy Grail.

I didn't remember Sabrina achieving that, so I had to check. She was a better 3-point shooter than I remembered.

Plum is a player who could approach 50/40/90 at any level.

Reaction Score
I referenced Caitlin Clark in my OP. Out of curiosity, I took a look at her shooting stats from her NPOY season last year. She was 2nd in the nation in scoring at 27+ ppg behind only Maddy Siegrist. Clark was 3rd in the nation in shots per game behind Aneesh Morrow & Siegrist.

The “Holy Grail” of shooting is 50-40-90, something that I believe only Sabrina Ionescu has ever achieved. Clark did not hit a single one of the three milestones, shooting 47% from the field, 38% from the arc and 83% from the FT line, all respectable numbers. Those numbers placed her 106th, 45th and 64th respectively among all DI WBB players last season, and yet, most WBB fans and pundits consider Clark to be the best shooter in WBB. :oops:
To be fair Clark takes many more high-difficulty 3s than anyone else. She’s taking a ton of unassisted, pull-up, deep 3s. Often double-teamed. Shooting 38% from 3 considering the level of difficulty shots she’s taking is super impressive, and that’s where her reputation comes from.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be fair Clark takes many more high-difficulty 3s than anyone else. She’s taking a ton of unassisted, pull-up, deep 3s. Often double-teamed. Shooting 38% from 3 considering the level of difficulty shots she’s taking is super impressive, and that’s where her reputation comes from.
Maybe the NCAA should add a new “degree of difficulty” category. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't mind Azzi or Paige becoming more "volume" shooters, if their assist numbers also go up. In the past few seasons, teams have been packing the paint and/or daring perimeter shots (since UConn rarely had more than 1 good shooter on the floor with all the injuries). If teams are forced to cover multiple good shooters, that should free up space inside and for other players, making the offense more fluid. That's what made the great UConn teams great.

Reaction Score
She could simply not take those shots ya know

Reaction Score
Paige's freshman year (Player of Year) stats: 52/46/87, w/5 rebounds and 6 assists a game.
Fudd's freshman year stats: 45/43/91

Both players' numbers came down (along with number of games and MPG) with their subsequent "injury" years. I'd be happy if both players put up those same stats for an entire season. Both can improve on those numbers if everything goes right.

Reaction Score
The greatest shooters in basketball “have no conscience.” I sat through games when KML bricked her first five 3-pt shots and then went on a tear hitting shot after shot. I’ve watched games where Katie Lou couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean and then, if my magic, everything started to fall for her. Having a shooters mindset is critical to being a great shooter.

Following the UConn “Exhibition Game” vs Pecs, Hungary there was considerable chatter on the BY about Azzi’s 9 for 31 shooting performance, with lots of questions and concerns about both the volume of shots that she took as well as the number of shots that she missed. I finally watched the game last night and I have a personal observation.

While I have no inside information on what Geno discussed with Azzi and the team before the game, it appears quite apparent that UConn was conducting something I will refer to as the Azzi experiment. The evidence is quite simple. Azzi is a consummate team player who always takes her shots in rhythm during the flow of the game. During the game against Pecs, Azzi shot the ball every time she had a sliver of space and several times when she was covered.

Azzi was catching and releasing the ball faster than I have ever seen her. She was taking and making some shots from “Caitlin Clark” territory. UConn, who typically runs a beautiful motion offense, was often just getting the ball to Azzi and letting her fire away. One action the Huskies ran over and over was to have Nika bring the ball up and dribble to the wing, where she would simply hand the ball to Azzi at the arc, who then fired away. Azzi made 9 pretty remarkable shots. Of course, she also missed 22 shots.

Normally, if any UConn player was firing away and missing as much as Azzi was against Pecs, she would earn herself a spot on the bench. But throughout the game, both Azzi and Geno appeared completely unfazed by the volume of missed shots. Hence, my conclusion that the shooting spree by Azzi was a plan by Geno to get Azzi to be more aggressive and comfortable taking over on the offensive end.

As I said in the postgame thread, I doubt that Azzi will ever take 31 shots or miss 22 shots in a regular season game. But having watched the Pecs game, it seems absolutely apparent that Geno wants Azzi to be far more aggressive on offense, and when she is matched up again on the court with her BFF, the show that is UConn WBB will be something to behold. :)
Dude, good comments. I did not read much negative commentary regarding Azzi's shooting, particularly since she was relatively solid the first 3 games. Believe that most of the Boneyard understood and supported the thoughts you expressed.

Reaction Score
The greatest shooters in basketball “have no conscience.” I sat through games when KML bricked her first five 3-pt shots and then went on a tear hitting shot after shot. I’ve watched games where Katie Lou couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean and then, if my magic, everything started to fall for her. Having a shooters mindset is critical to being a great shooter.

Following the UConn “Exhibition Game” vs Pecs, Hungary there was considerable chatter on the BY about Azzi’s 9 for 31 shooting performance, with lots of questions and concerns about both the volume of shots that she took as well as the number of shots that she missed. I finally watched the game last night and I have a personal observation.

While I have no inside information on what Geno discussed with Azzi and the team before the game, it appears quite apparent that UConn was conducting something I will refer to as the Azzi experiment. The evidence is quite simple. Azzi is a consummate team player who always takes her shots in rhythm during the flow of the game. During the game against Pecs, Azzi shot the ball every time she had a sliver of space and several times when she was covered.

Azzi was catching and releasing the ball faster than I have ever seen her. She was taking and making some shots from “Caitlin Clark” territory. UConn, who typically runs a beautiful motion offense, was often just getting the ball to Azzi and letting her fire away. One action the Huskies ran over and over was to have Nika bring the ball up and dribble to the wing, where she would simply hand the ball to Azzi at the arc, who then fired away. Azzi made 9 pretty remarkable shots. Of course, she also missed 22 shots.

Normally, if any UConn player was firing away and missing as much as Azzi was against Pecs, she would earn herself a spot on the bench. But throughout the game, both Azzi and Geno appeared completely unfazed by the volume of missed shots. Hence, my conclusion that the shooting spree by Azzi was a plan by Geno to get Azzi to be more aggressive and comfortable taking over on the offensive end.

As I said in the postgame thread, I doubt that Azzi will ever take 31 shots or miss 22 shots in a regular season game. But having watched the Pecs game, it seems absolutely apparent that Geno wants Azzi to be far more aggressive on offense, and when she is matched up again on the court with her BFF, the show that is UConn WBB will be something to behold. :)
I also thought it was an in game practice strategy. I think he is trying to get her comfortable with having an uncomfortable shooting situation for when she has to put the team on her back and win ugly.

This was primarily a 3 pt situation but it also reminded me of the Maya Moore days where the offense was largely about her. Maya knew she had to make something out of nothing for the team.

Reaction Score

Paige her freshman year was .524/.464/.869. Pretty close.

Reaction Score

Not the ones that know better. ;)

Reaction Score
I also watched the game over with my focus on Azzi. Her shot selection and number of shots and I came to similar conclusion that she was taking shots she normally would have passed up in regular game. What I noticed was when Azzi shoots in rhythm her shot is smooth and on the mark even when she misses. When she was forcing shots she normally wouldn't take she struggled and I understand why she did.

Azzi has a great shot and she will get wide open looks all season and I think this was just to teach her to catch and shoot. Don't think too much and clearly don't worry when they don't go in the basket. My guess is Geno wants to ensure all the players play their game when Paige comes back to full speed without thinking too much and expecting Paige to carry the load which she is capable of doing.
I've also seen where Azzi tends to pass up a shot if the situation isn't perfect. And maybe he wants her to work on expanding that zone of shots. The only way to do that is practice it and isn't that what exhibition games are for?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've also seen where Azzi tends to pass up a shot if the situation isn't perfect. And maybe he wants her to work on expanding that zone of shots. The only way to do that is practice it and isn't that what exhibition games are for?

Bingo!

Reaction Score
Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

Reaction Score
How many players are part of the 50/40/90 club in ncaa womens basketball? The wikipedia entry doesn't say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom