The astounding rise of Oregon State WBB | The Boneyard

The astounding rise of Oregon State WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...coaches-oregon-state-beavers-first-final-four

I have tremendous respect and admiration for what Scott Rueck has accomplished in just 4 short years. He inherited a program that was in a post-F5 tornado complete shambles. Players had abandoned the team en masse amid allegations of abusive treatment from the former coach, who was subsequently fired. Only 2 players stayed on.

Two years ago in late January, I watched Arizona State take on Oregon State in Tempe. At the time I knew nothing about Oregon State, Scott Rueck, or the mess he'd inherited. All I really knew was that I was watching what figured to be a routine home win for a 15th-ranked Arizona State team over an unranked opponent (OSU was 12-8 overall and 4-4 in conference at the time).

But to my surprise, Oregon State controlled most of the game and built a double-digit lead in the 2nd half. They held a 7-point lead with less than 2 minutes to go. But then their point guard, Sydney Wiese (then a freshman) fouled out and looked despondent heading to the bench. And Arizona State somehow completed a Houdini escape act and a 2-point win. I just remember thinking how incredibly lucky ASU had been, and that OSU looked every bit like the better team that day, despite botching the finish.

Sure enough, that heartbreaking loss seemed to mark a turning point for OSU. They went 9-0 in the remainder of their conference schedule, and then advanced to the final of the Pac-12 tournament, where they lost to USC. OSU was awarded a #9 seed for the NCAA tournament and beat #8 Middle Tennessee St. 55-36 in the 1st round. They then lost to #1 seed South Carolina by 9 points in the 2nd round. But that already marked an astounding turnaround for a program that just 24 months earlier looked like it wouldn't even be able to field a team.

In yesterday's postgame press conference, Rueck recalled an even earlier turning point in that 2013-14 season: a late-December home game against Notre Dame that Oregon State led for significant portions but ended up losing by 12. (That was the year that Notre Dame went undefeated until the national championship game against UConn.) After that game, Rueck tweeted: "Could not be prouder of this team. We will win more than we will lose with performances like that. Focused effort." http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209353078&DB_OEM_ID=30800

Hamblin and Weisner were sophomores at that time, and Wiese and Hanson were only freshmen. And now, just two seasons later, this program is in its first Final Four. It's one of the most remarkable program turnarounds I have ever seen.

I don't expect them to beat UConn, of course, but I don't expect them to be shrinking violets either. This team has taught itself to compete and to believe. OSU leads the country in field-goal-percentage defense at 31.7% (UConn is 4th at 33.1%). Especially on a team that's not particularly deep, that's the sure sign of a gritty squad that trusts one another and plays together. Make no mistake: This semifinal game will be a battle. We should be prepared to win ugly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oregon State is running a motion offense like we do. And they have adapted it to their talent and skill levels. Very smart coaching.

Others are getting the message.

Reaction Score
Scott Rueck is one of the vanguard of new style WCBB coaches of which Gino was the first. Coaches who were just not ex- women players or men's coaches who no one else wanted. Coaching a women's team has become more of a preferred option rather than just as second choice for the mediocre. The Pat's an Tara's of the past are now becoming more common place.

It was obvious to most on the west coast during his second year what a good coach he was. It was just a matter of time before he passed both Tara and Stanford.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
He was a DIII coach who won a national title, so he knows how to get a lot out of players who weren't the most talented (not at all a knock on DIII players, they are just at a different level than D1) And now he's taken a bunch of players who weren't ranked anywhere near the top 10 and has them playing in a Final Four. Would not be surprised if he starts getting more and more good players, once they see what good coaching can do.

Reaction Score
He also recognizes talent. The only player he got to commit his first recruiting year was someone everyone else passed on. She ended up making the Pac 12 all freshman team that year. What he got out of that group players in 2012 was not short of amazing. Same team as in 2011 but with just one new player who everyone else passed on. Make no mistake the group he has now are no scrubs and are pretty talented. Though he hasn't of yet pulled in any top national athletes He does get a lot of players from Oregon and they definitely play some basketball up there.

I am sure there are many more coaches much like him who are presently kicking up the standards of WCBB coaching.

Reaction Score
They are excited to play us, and believe that they truly will be the ones to beat us. Almost have to respect the confidence. Doubt it will be close though, full faith in the women.

Reaction Score
He also recognizes talent. The only player he got to commit his first recruiting year was someone everyone else passed on. She ended up making the Pac 12 all freshman team that year. What he got out of that group players in 2012 was not short of amazing. Same team as in 2011 but with just one new player who everyone else passed on. Make no mistake the group he has now are no scrubs and are pretty talented. Though he hasn't of yet pulled in any top national athletes He does get a lot of players from Oregon and they definitely play some basketball up there.

I am sure there are many more coaches much like him who are presently kicking up the standards of WCBB coaching.

He deserves a big shout out..... Not only does he recognize talent, but he is able to develop it.... What would happen if one or two of the Oregonians who went to Tennessee and other schools had stayed home?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Scott Rueck is one of the vanguard of new style WCBB coaches of which Gino was the first. Coaches who were just not ex- women players or men's coaches who no one else wanted. Coaching a women's team has become more of a preferred option rather than just as second choice for the mediocre. The Pat's an Tara's of the past are now becoming more common place.

It was obvious to most on the west coast during his second year what a good coach he was. It was just a matter of time before he passed both Tara and Stanford.
Very true, but I wouldn't sleep on Tara. I thought Stanford was having a really down year (yes, I knew they had a lot of unheralded players), in fact it was the one PAC12 game I attended here at UofA. They looked very pedestrian that game. But - listening to the commentators the other night - she has some much better talent coming in next year. Meanwhile I noticed they played that same disciplined style that we are admiring at Oregon State (or Washington, or even Dayton from last season).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I've been a big fan of Reuck's for years.. and I've posted several times on the Lady Vols board how they should give him a serious look if they got rid of Warlick. But they're much more interested in Tyler Summit over there...

I like this Oregon State team but beating UCONN is a gargantuan task at this point...

Oregon State is a team that's still building. Ionescu just added them to her finalist after being down to just Oregon and Cal. As much as I want them to get Ionescu, on the other hand I don't because it hurts our chances with Westbrook in 2017. Ionescu and Westbrook are really good friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom