That's why you play the games | The Boneyard

That's why you play the games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the tone of this Maryland game was set courtesy of the refs who, from the beginning, ignored the physical play of Maryland, particularly Jones, Who ends up looking like an All-American, and the rest of the team gains confidence and plays great. We look indecisive, hesitant and nothing like the dominant team we are. But I guess CT is pretty good 'cause we took their best shot, wobbled, staggered, but put it together when it counted. I have seen this numerous times over the years in men and women's games, and that is what makes basketball fun.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So the tone of this Maryland game was set courtesy of the refs who, from the beginning, ignored the physical play of Maryland, particularly Jones, Who ends up looking like an All-American, and the rest of the team gains confidence and plays great.
Nonsense! Jones played with skill (not physically) and was the second best player on the floor. Give her credit.

We look indecisive, hesitant and nothing like the dominant team we are. But I guess CT is pretty good 'cause we took their best shot, wobbled, staggered, but put it together when it counted. I have seen this numerous times over the years in men and women's games, and that is what makes basketball fun.
Good points & it was a fun game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
CocoHusky said:
Nonsense! Jones played with skill (not physically) and was the second best player on the floor. Give her credit. Good points & it was a fun game.

I think Jones played very well but I also think the refs were not calling body contact on MD players in the paint at all, particularly in the first half -- I think with what we were executing (between all those turnovers ...), we were expecting to get to the line. Didn't really happen.

Reaction Score
Some of you Husky fans are a trip. Y'all got the best team and coach in the country and y'all won by 10 points, stop whining!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I never doubted the outcome, but enjoyed a rare competitive game. Don't get me wrong, I love blow-outs the most!

If the measure of another program's improved progress is playing in the range of 'somewhat competitive - competitive' with UConn and losing by only 10 or so, I'm very comfortable with that result! :cool:

Reaction Score
What I learned from the games against ranked teams so far this year:
1. Opponent brings their A game while UCONN struggles = 10 point Husky win.
2. Both teams bring their A game = 20 point Husky win.
3. Only UCONN brings their A game = 30 point Husky win.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Jones played very well but I also think the refs were not calling body contact on MD players in the paint at all, particularly in the first half -- I think with what we were executing (between all those turnovers ...), we were expecting to get to the line. Didn't really happen.
I just re-watched and charted the first half with a focus on Jones. That young woman (Jones) played an almost perfect half. She position her body not just well but perfectly! Two of her offense touches stand out. 1) 9:07 of the second quarter Jones got the ball slightly off the post with Stewie guarding her. She takes a hard dribble towards the lane and Stewie covers her. Now Jones at the basket with Stewie towering over her. She puts her off elbow and forearm firmly in Stewie gut and powers up for basket. This is not a foul and exactly what post players are taught to do to negate height. 2) 5:31 of the second quarter Morgan has her perfectly defended on the post. She bodies Morgan slightly up the lane to get off a baseline shot. She misses the shot but she used her body perfectly to get a shot attempt against otherwise perfect defense.

Reaction Score
This is not, repeat, not a "we are doomed" missive. However, anyone who thinks this team is invulnerable, as last year's team was, and perhaps teams from other years, is simply,. IMHO, dead wrong. This is not a team that will breeze through most good teams. And make no mistake about it, MD is a good team, as is ND and, I'm pretty certain, SC. UConn tonight looked tentative and confused. "Get it in to Stewey," or "Get it in to Morgan" seems to be a pretty good philosophy, but honestly, when MD was on top of their defensive game in the first half, they were making UConn look pretty dumb a lot of the time.

UConn has a good chance going unbeaten this year because there just are not that many good teams and it has Stewey and no one else does. But a good team with a good plan, a hot three-point shooter and a skilled big body who can move Stewey around will have considerable success, especially if they can do what no one has done so far, and that is to get one of UConn's Big Three in foul trouble.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
CocoHusky said:
I just re-watched and charted the first half with a focus on Jones. That young woman (Jones) played an almost perfect half. She position her body not just well but perfectly! Two of her offense touches stand out. 1) 9:07 of the second quarter Jones got the ball slightly off the post with Stewie guarding her. She takes a hard dribble towards the lane and Stewie covers her. Now Jones at the basket with Stewie towering over her. She puts her off elbow and forearm firmly in Stewie gut and powers up for basket. This is not a foul and exactly what post players are taught to do to negate height. 2) 5:31 of the second quarter Morgan has her perfectly defended on the post. She bodies Morgan slightly up the lane to get off a baseline shot. She misses the shot but she used her body perfectly to get a shot attempt against otherwise perfect defense.

I was talking about MD's interior defense when UCONN had the ball

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some notes on tonight from ThisJustIn's wonderful 4th row seats

1. A Broadway prime-time opening was a bit tough on the frosh. Both Pheesa and KLS were in the right place a bunch of times but Pheesa especially had a nervous game.I don't think we will see many more. she's the real deal.

2. Geno kept searching for the right combination until he chanced on Saniya and the rest is history.Is she auditioning for a starting role?

3. Morgan had a terrific game, 2 or 3 passes hi-lo to Bri were brilliant, her D was fine But...I don't like the way she'd moving
I suspect her knee is bothering her.

4. Whenever the back-up Maryland point was in the game, it was trouble. She is quick, elusive and breaks down defenses singlehanded. I was thrilled when she came out...not much of an outside threat, but if she becomes one; watch out.

5. Although she competes hard, plays tough D...got whistled...Gabby's game is not advancing...sorry to say.

6. likewise, despite lots of good things we need to see more of the summertime Kia

7. The seniors played like they do...Moriah is a magician...how did she score that shot at the half...I was a few feet away and have no idea. Stewie broke down their interior D over and over...hit a long-distance floater in the lane that was a thing of beauty; defended like a beast, rebounded...another day at the office.

8. Maryland will come away from this game emboldened; we're going to see them again, maybe in the finals. hardnose play, talent, decent coaching.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Speaking of getting to the line, Maryland was only 3 of 8 from the stipe tonight. THAT'S playing defense without fouling!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is not, repeat, not a "we are doomed" missive. However, anyone who thinks this team is invulnerable, as last year's team was, and perhaps teams from other years, is simply,. IMHO, dead wrong. This is not a team that will breeze through most good teams. And make no mistake about it, MD is a good team, as is ND and, I'm pretty certain, SC. UConn tonight looked tentative and confused. "Get it in to Stewey," or "Get it in to Morgan" seems to be a pretty good philosophy, but honestly, when MD was on top of their defensive game in the first half, they were making UConn look pretty dumb a lot of the time.

UConn has a good chance going unbeaten this year because there just are not that many good teams and it has Stewey and no one else does. But a good team with a good plan, a hot three-point shooter and a skilled big body who can move Stewey around will have considerable success, especially if they can do what no one has done so far, and that is to get one of UConn's Big Three in foul trouble.
You are right it is not a repeat of we are doomed it is a recycle of we are vulnerable to XYZ. Where X = hot shooting 3 point team (Dayton, Depaul, ND) pick one.
Y=One of our Big 3 getting in foul trouble (Stanford last year, Rutgers last year, or MD in 2013 ) pick one. Z=An over reliance on Stewie. Let's say I were to stipulate XY&Z-which by the way has not happened since Maya was in her last year. What team would not be vulnerable to XYZ? So if UCONN is vulnerable to XY&Z then so is every other team. I like our chances better than every other team. Enjoy the games this era cannot last forever. If the outcome were pre-determined the journey would be far less fun.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UCONN fans are concerned about a 10 point win over a top ten team. I wonder what the ND fans are thinking about a one point win at home against Oregon State, a decent team, but not in the top 10. If they play Maryland again, I believe they will win and the final score won't be close. ND played with Turner and she did not look like a difference maker; not tonight anyway.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thats a lot to ask for

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Some notes on tonight from ThisJustIn's wonderful 4th row seats

1. A Broadway prime-time opening was a bit tough on the frosh. Both Pheesa and KLS were in the right place a bunch of times but Pheesa especially had a nervous game.I don't think we will see many more. she's the real deal.

2. Geno kept searching for the right combination until he chanced on Saniya and the rest is history.Is she auditioning for a starting role?

3. Morgan had a terrific game, 2 or 3 passes hi-lo to Bri were brilliant, her D was fine But...I don't like the way she'd moving
I suspect her knee is bothering her.

4. Whenever the back-up Maryland point was in the game, it was trouble. She is quick, elusive and breaks down defenses singlehanded. I was thrilled when she came out...not much of an outside threat, but if she becomes one; watch out.

5. Although she competes hard, plays tough D...got whistled...Gabby's game is not advancing...sorry to say.

6. likewise, despite lots of good things we need to see more of the summertime Kia

7. The seniors played like they do...Moriah is a magician...how did she score that shot at the half...I was a few feet away and have no idea. Stewie broke down their interior D over and over...hit a long-distance floater in the lane that was a thing of beauty; defended like a beast, rebounded...another day at the office.

8. Maryland will come away from this game emboldened; we're going to see them again, maybe in the finals. hardnose play, talent, decent coaching.
#3 may be a lifetime issue... gotta be happy with what we can get outta her

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The increased physicality down low is due to the change in the way the refs call fouls on the perimeter. Obviously most posts are more successful when they can make contact first, feel the defender, and make a decision. However, I have noticed that ever since they instituted the more strict rules for perimeter defense, post defenders as well as posts while on offense can basically do whatever they want. If you watch closely (and this is for any team) I have watched SCar, Notre Dame, Maryland, Stanford, UCLA it is the same across the board. I doubt it will change until people either start all out brawling on the court or there become and inordinate number of flagrant fouls. Count how many times you can get fouled under the basket before the whistle is blow. I guarantee you it is at least 3 times on most occasions and I guarantee you it will most likely not be the ref under the basket that calls the foul. I have been studying this very closely and I am beginning to wonder why they even have a ref standing there other than to call when some one steps out of bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom