Texas Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I think we have found our Rotation of players. 7 now and 8 when Castle returns. Really solid team. Maybe a little thin on Frountcourt depth but the college game is one of guards. I don't see anything from Stewart and Ross that makes me thinks they break into the rotation.

Reaction Score
Great team win and responded to adversity well late. Mitchell was a really tough matchup for us and has a beautiful game.

Diarra showed why he is so important for us. Brings a different aspect on both sides of the ball and likes to get dirty. Such an asset to have him as our 7th/8th man.

Samson was incredible. Most impressive was his defense without fouling, and his traffic rebounding. Our 1-2 punch is obviously a lot different than last year but still looks to be great.

Karaban saved us down the stretch, those were pro shots. Him and Cam are very reliable, they will start to make their 3s at a higher clip.

Clingan 5 games in has really disappointed me. I understand its a huge uptick in usage and the injury. But he looks slow, unathletic and not confident. I really want @superjohn to be right, and I know Clingan is significantly better than he’s shown, but it’s time to show it. He has a good 7-8 inches on Cunningham and was getting moved a bit on the block. Also, DUNK THE BALL. You’re 7’3. Show that ability we all know you have.

Reaction Score
At the start of the second half Hurley should have left Clingan on the bench and eased him into the game.

Johnson was having a good game and I think the flow of the game was disrupted. Just my two cents. You have to go with the hot hand IMO
I was fine with how Hurley handled it, Clingan is a starter and has earned the benefit of the doubt. Once Samson sparked a huge run again in the 2nd half and Clingan immediately sparked a huge run for Texas around 8 minutes left, he made the right call and kept Samson in

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Winning ugly?

That was beautiful.

Big win against a relentless high level athletic team.

I said it in the chat, Senior Testiculo needs to mail his balls to AK.

The pick and roll between AK and Clingan in the second half was the best Clingan has looked this year. Nothing mechanical, he moved smoothly.

Teams like this are ideal games for Diarra and Johnson.

When Castle comes back, minutes for Stewart and Ross will be sparse. Ball, Johnson, Diarra are the core bench players.

Ball was great in first half and then the moment caught up to him. No worries. He can play.

Texas seems like they are a fun team to watch and root for.

Apart from the 3-point shooting, it was pretty enough for me. We took care of the ball and were +11 on the boards. We withstood a run and locked it down.

Resounding win against a good opponent in the Garden. What’s not to like?

@Ricker Your boy came up big today!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Superb win. I was thrilled to finally see the Samson Johnson I’ve been expecting to show up. As he gets comfortable we will see more good things. I didn’t expect what we got from Diarra, his hustle and D are usually great but he really stepped up on the offensive end.

Alex remains our most dangerous offensive player. when teams key on him, Tristen has to pick it up as he did yesterday. Today, UT focused on Newton, so Alex and Cam had to score. Once Castle is back we get harder to defend. Donovan didn’t look 100% out there, like somebody with a respiratory infection or something.

Getting Solo, Diarra and Johnson big minutes against high quality teams will pay dividends. I think Johnson is one of our 6 best players, including Castle.

Reaction Score
Great win, can’t wait for Castle to get back. Samson was great and Diarra stepped up. Ball had a good game, need that to continue and need another freshman to step up. Karaban was so clutch.

Gonna be interesting to see the development or DC this year. He’s still so raw, would love to see him get a jump hook or some sort of offensive move. He just looks very rushed a lot of the time, I think he’ll get there but hopefully it has something to do with him coming back from injury

caw

Reaction Score
How little did Ball play in the second half?

Hurley rode Diarra on defense and despite 0/3 from 3 it worked out. Thank god Karaban is an ice cold killer

0 for 3 but one was a bailout handoff from Johnson in the corner with the shotclock at maybe 1 when he got it. Also, the 3/4 court heave at half. I forget the third. He just rarely takes threes that aren't shots like that. It's better to think of him as a non-shooter.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My main takeaways? We're really good. Barring injury, we're not going to lose many games. Barring injury, we're a top 2 seed.

Clingan played a B- game and we still won by 10. We have 5 guys that would be the best or 2nd best player on the vast majority of UConn teams of the past. We are scary good and have a legit chance to repeat.

Reaction Score
We saw Clingan play great last year. When he was the only center on the floor, in big games. I know we want him to completely dominate every game but I think we'd all be way more shocked if he didn't pan out like we expect. Come on

Reaction Score
That was an important trip to NYC...

Hurley has stressed how we need bench play to accomplish the things they want to accomplish this season and we sure got it tonight. Hurley wasn't bs'ing about Samson. His athleticism, length and timing were eye opening. He looked good in the games before tonight but that was a big time athletic team we just played and he was going mano o mano with Dillon Mitchell with wow plays and he did so much more than just the dunks. Tough traffic rebounds. He walled guys up a couple times, saved baskets with huge blocks. He was a revelation and I have to imagine he opened the eyes of the NBA scouts who were there to watch other players. @HuskyHawk you should be doing your victory lap.

Diarra played the best all around game of his career here, he was all over the court.

Solo had some wow plays early. He's going to be really good.

Karaban closed the game out with three big time NBA moves, with the game in the balance and the offense stalled. He now needs to know he's going to be the best offensive player on the court a lot of the time.

This game was big for confidence for a lot of our guys. Huge for the three bench guys once we're at full strength. I'm just so happy for Samson.

Cam is such a smart offensive player, we know what we're going to get with him. Dude is Woody from White Men Can't Jump, he has every trick in the book.

Donovan, needs to get in game shape and shed some lbs. It's not there right now. If and when that happens we'll be truly scary.

Texas is tough and is only going to get better. This will be one of our many really good wins this season. Championships never get old.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My main takeaways? We're really good. Barring injury, we're not going to lose many games. Barring injury, we're a top 2 seed.

Clingan played a B- game and we still won by 10. We have 5 guys that would be the best or 2nd best player on the vast majority of UConn teams of the past. We are scary good and have a legit chance to repeat.
Felt more like a D game in my book.

Reaction Score
Besides the obvious points the biggest thing that impressed me with with Samson tonight was his ability to snatch up boards in traffic. He had to battle for some ones inside with guys hanging off of him and didn't give ground.

Reaction Score
Obviously I’m glad we won but no one is concerned about our 3 point shooting? I thought we had a couple off games but we’re 5 games in and worse then last year without Jackson so far. I thought that would be an advantage over last year.

Reaction Score
Great team win and responded to adversity well late. Mitchell was a really tough matchup for us and has a beautiful game.

Diarra showed why he is so important for us. Brings a different aspect on both sides of the ball and likes to get dirty. Such an asset to have him as our 7th/8th man.

Samson was incredible. Most impressive was his defense without fouling, and his traffic rebounding. Our 1-2 punch is obviously a lot different than last year but still looks to be great.

Karaban saved us down the stretch, those were pro shots. Him and Cam are very reliable, they will start to make their 3s at a higher clip.

Clingan 5 games in has really disappointed me. I understand its a huge uptick in usage and the injury. But he looks slow, unathletic and not confident. I really want @superjohn to be right, and I know Clingan is significantly better than he’s shown, but it’s time to show it. He has a good 7-8 inches on Cunningham and was getting moved a bit on the block. Also, DUNK THE BALL. You’re 7’3. Show that ability we all know you have.
If I was 7’3 I would dunk everything no matter what.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom