Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
If (and a big if because raiding the PAC12 would not be easy if you don't plan on taking Cal with the other 3 SC, UCLA, STAN) the B1G plans on 6-8 additions which include at least 1 ACC team, and the SEC starts looking at the ACC, we'd better get on board with the fact that a slightly weakened ACC is better than uncertainty. And even if Clemson is a top brand today it's not outside of reason to see them slide back a few notches in the SEC. They were mediocre for decades.

You could understand the B1G taking the 4 Cali schools, Oregon, Colorado, possibly ND and ???
I can also see the SEC wanting Clemson but I'm not sure who else from the ACC or elsewhere. Or if the SEC would like to DROP some teams after this contract is up. Is that even possible (Arkansas, Miss St)?

So some question marks remain. The ACC contract is a big mystery and also what the SEC intentions are after this move they have yet to digest. For now it's a struggle between the AAC and the Big12 for survival with the ACC and PAC drawing up contingencies. But if the PAC is raided we could see the emergence of a new Big-12/SWC. It would involve remnants of the PAC, Big12, AAC, and SEC rejects and maybe Boise State. Wouldn't that be something!

And as far as the B1G goes, if they want UConn you can throw those prerequisites out the window. This changed the dynamic for everyone. In my opinion (and it's a longshot) the best option for the B1G if they want to go BIG are those 6 PAC schools (4 Cali, Colorado, Oregon) along with ND, Kansas, UConn and Army. It sounds crazy but preserves their cultural and academic integrity while adding basketball and football current and potential. Army and UConn do have that potential. 10 new teams. Good for academics, huge for hoops, football and media markets. East and West divisions easy to figure out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And as far as the B1G goes, if they want UConn you can throw those prerequisites out the window.
Don't know if I'd agree with that. The amount of money the BTAA takes in from research is orders of magnitude higher than whatever they rake in from sports. The B1G is first and foremost an academic alliance because that's where the real money is.

Reaction Score
My wishlist for the Big 10 is a Big 24:

Army
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
The OSU

Michigan State
Michigan
Notre Dame
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois

(you could make a scheduling exception for OSU Mich annual)

Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Kansas
Nebraska

Colorado
Oregon
Cal
Stan
USC
UCLA

5 games in your division.
Top 2 and bottom 2 each play 2 teams rotating.
1 game against each if the other 2 divisions rotating

9 conference games.
Preserve rivalries
An actual Northeast football division.
Academics are good, athletics are good, markets good, time zones covered.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Long range, Iowa State, Kansas State, even Kansas, are talked about as being in some barren wasteland of college athletics while the SEC is frolicking in trappings of riches. The ultimate result when there is the final separation of a governing body, what do you think happens to the likes of Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence College, etc.? Those schools become less than nothing in this new world. The NCAA tournament revenue, which has been long predicted on this board as eventually going the way of the dodo bird, will be gone and a new iteration of a tournament will arise, among these super teams, with super fans and and super money. Unfortunately, in this endgame, UConn will look a lot more like DePaul than a Louisiana.

Maybe. Or maybe football becomes a regional sport in the south and a northern basketball league dominates the sport.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe now the president, Board of Trustees and governor will be on the same page as most of the fans. To see UConn in the P5 not some kind of retread Big East coalition.
Because UConn doesn't even have a president right now?

Reaction Score
Because UConn doesn't even have a president right now?
The interim guy in charge at least may realize what is at stake. I am not sure the powers that be a decade ago really understood how important things were when Louisville stole our spot.

Reaction Score
Maybe sports are regional...as Nelsonmuntz hinted at in his post.

Big time college football with hordes of interested fans has not been a hallmark of the northeast....while college basketball has thrived in the northeast/north.

The question, to be answered over time, is .....will a creation of mega conferences affect the basketball programs of those currently strong basketball programs in the G5

Reaction Score
And...what happens to programs not in the Big Two?

Even P5 conference teams....Being behind the SEC/B!g by $15 million a year is a lot different than being behind by $50 million....Will the two mega conferences own sports?

Maybe in football...but I suspect that soccer, lacrosse, etc will not reap as mauch of the benefits of having big money...

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know if I'd agree with that. The amount of money the BTAA takes in from research is orders of magnitude higher than whatever they rake in from sports. The B1G is first and foremost an academic alliance because that's where the real money is.
Disagree. Otherwise why take Nebraska when everyone knew it was about to lose AAU status. That isn’t to say that the Big Ten academic consortium isn’t real thing, it is, but first and foremost it is an athletic conference.

Reaction Score
Maybe now the president, Board of Trustees and governor will be on the same page as most of the fans. To see UConn in the P5 not some kind of retread Big East coalition.
You're delusional.

Everyone would love to see UConn in a P5 conference. That and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee. There isn't an invite.

Reaction Score

Let's get real. UConn was, and is, on the outside looking in. The B1G, SEC and ACC don't give a hoot about our men's (let alone our women's) basketball programs. National caliber, multiple-championship-field-hockey program? Nice, but so what? Best-in-the-Northeast baseball.....to them, big deal.

It's football that generates big revenue.........period. And we don't push that needle.

Win games, generate ratings, get advertisers excited.....................then we'll have leverage.

Reaction Score
Isn't Arizona one of the fastest growing states in the US? I can only see the Big Ten raiding the ACC and the PAC raiding whoever west of the Mississippi, but who am I? Definitely don't see how UConn gets left out of this new ridiculous paradigm. Because of the market.

UT offering their souls to the SEC is a genius move from an athletics standpoint, no matter what I want to think. Funny to think the SEC was looking at UNC and UVA and UT and OU throw themselves at the opportunity. I know some have said UVA would never join the SEC, but again, what do we know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's get real. UConn was, and is, on the outside looking in. The B1G, SEC and ACC don't give a hoot about our men's (let alone our women's) basketball programs. National caliber, multiple-championship-field-hockey program? Nice, but so what? Best-in-the-Northeast baseball.....to them, big deal.

It's football that generates big revenue.........period. And we don't push that needle.

Win games, generate ratings, get advertisers excited.....................then we'll have leverage.
Uh, how was that relevant to the post you responded to?

Reaction Score
Could anyone see the ACC getting raided next? SEC takes FSU and Clemson, BIG 10 takes UNC and Virginia. Maybe more.

Reaction Score
It would not have changed anything. I honestly can’t even figure out how to connect Notre Dame looking for cupcakes to conference realignment.
We were not cupcakes at that time.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Could anyone see the ACC getting raided next? SEC takes FSU and Clemson, BIG 10 takes UNC and Virginia. Maybe more.

Besides FSU, Miami, and Clemson, I don't see any ACC schools that add any value to the SEC or BIG. UNC and UVA are nice schools, but they are small, not that great at football, and do not generate lots of money. Here are the top 5 grossing programs in the respective conferences:

ACC
1. Florida State -- $69 million
2. Clemson -- $61 million
3. Miami -- $56 million
4. NC State -- $46 million
5. Syracuse -- $44 million

Big Ten
1. Michigan -- $122 million
2. Ohio State -- $115 million
3. Penn State -- $100 million
4. Nebraska -- $94 million
5. Wisconsin -- $90 million

SEC
1. Georgia -- $123 million
2. Auburn -- $95 million
3. Alabama -- $94.6 million
4. LSU -- $92 million
5. Tennessee -- $91 million

Reaction Score

Only if someone solves the problem of the ACC owning the media rights to these programs for the next 15 years...you think that the ACC would just give them up...GOR...GOR

Reaction Score
Besides FSU, Miami, and Clemson, I don't see any ACC schools that add any value to the SEC or BIG. UNC and UVA are nice schools, but they are small, not that great at football, and do not generate lots of money. Here are the top 5 grossing programs in the respective conferences:

ACC
3. Miami -- $56 million

Big Ten

SEC
2. Auburn -- $95 million
4. LSU -- $92 million

Saw this on another site where some of the folks questioned origin and accuracy...

The USA report on Athletic Department Revenue (2018-19) lists FSU's AD Revenue as $152.7 million and Alabama's as $164 million...

Have to ask just what these figures represent...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

ACC
3. Miami -- $56 million

Big Ten

SEC
2. Auburn -- $95 million
4. LSU -- $92 million

Georgia Tech has always been on B1G radar for access to Atlanta market and strong academics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom