Tennessee Lady Vols | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Lady Vols

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
So, at times y’all had three future pros on the team and accomplished . . . ??? Vv
They also had injuries and missed time on the court. I can't wait to see this new style of play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee softball team SEC champs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So, at times y’all had three future pros on the team and accomplished . . . ??? Vv
Injuries plagued Tennessee when they had Burrell, Horston and Davis all together. They should’ve been better but we never had a chance to see them all thrive. If you go back to the Holly era, Tennessee was littered with top 5 and top 10 recruits and couldn’t accomplish anything, not even playing hard on the court.

Reaction Score
Playing and winning against the likes of SC, LSU, Ole Miss and now Texas and Oklahoma is going to be tough, who all have good, established coaches. Is Tennessee going to give her time?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Playing and winning against the likes of SC, LSU, Ole Miss and now Texas and Oklahoma is going to be tough, who all have good, established coaches. Is Tennessee going to give her time?
I thank she will be given time. She has quite a impressive record. Yes this is her first time at this level. I think she will get it done.

Reaction Score

Depends. If you think 5, I think it was 5 years was enough for Harper, than the new coach will get the same. Coach def has her work cut out for her.

I will say if the vols don’t make the tournament, the fans will riot

Reaction Score
I thank she will be given time. She has quite an impressive record. Yes this is her first time at this level. I think she will get it done.
Time from the administration? Probably. They know the program is in shambles? Time from Coach Jumper and crew? Never. They expect Coach Pat level performance now. They think they are reasonable when expecting an Elite 8 team

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Time from the administration? Probably. They know the program is in shambles? Time from Coach Jumper and crew? Never. They expect Coach Pat level performance now. They think they are reasonable when expecting an Elite 8 team
This is the most talented team Caldwell has ever had. At worst case I don't think the record will be worse than last season. I expect year two will be even better. I think this style will attract a lot of talented players. Caldwell has hung a lot of banners in her career so far.

Reaction Score
This is the most talented team Caldwell has ever had. At worst case I don't think the record will be worse than last season. I expect year two will be even better. I think this style will attract a lot of talented players. Caldwell has hung a lot of banners in her career so far.
I think you have a good coach but y’all ( fans) aren’t known for reasonable patience

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think you have a good coach but y’all ( fans) aren’t known for reasonable patience
It took Pat few years to build a championship program. I think Caldwell can win it just won't happen overnight.

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score
The real question here is will all the football fanatics/Danny White worshippers stick around and defend Coach Kim Caldwell if things don't go exactly as planned? Or will they migrate (retreat) back to their corner of the message board and celebrate if Josh Heupel narrows the 1000-mile gap between his program and Kirby Smart's program by an inch?

Reaction Score
It looks like UT is adding some decent pieces but I still can't see this going the direction the LV fans want.

Caldwell may work out extremely well in the long run. Reading VN it appears some fans are realistic this team will not compete for a NC or likely even a S16 this year. The recruits seem to be setting up the stage for what hopes to be a bigger pay off down the road.

I still cannot grasp why this is the direction of the program after a tenure that, while underwhelming, wasn't that bad in the big picture. I recognized early last year Harper had reached her ceiling and it wasn't going to improve much but the team wasn't bad except in the eyes of us who recall the glory days. This hire doesn't show anyone they are serious about the sport again but rather they are willing to gamble with what has generally been their second most popular sport on campus (at least until ten years ago.

I've been wrong more than right in my life and could be again but the LVs will be fighting for a tournament spot this year with the team as it's about to be assembled.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It looks like UT is adding some decent pieces but I still can't see this going the direction the LV fans want.

Caldwell may work out extremely well in the long run. Reading VN it appears some fans are realistic this team will not compete for a NC or likely even a S16 this year. The recruits seem to be setting up the stage for what hopes to be a bigger pay off down the road.

I still cannot grasp why this is the direction of the program after a tenure that, while underwhelming, wasn't that bad in the big picture. I recognized early last year Harper had reached her ceiling and it wasn't going to improve much but the team wasn't bad except in the eyes of us who recall the glory days. This hire doesn't show anyone they are serious about the sport again but rather they are willing to gamble with what has generally been their second most popular sport on campus (at least until ten years ago.

I've been wrong more than right in my life and could be again but the LVs will be fighting for a tournament spot this year with the team as it's about to be assembled.
FIrst, I almost spit my tea at my laptop with your "I still can't see this going the direction the LV fans want" comment. Didn't the fans want Holly, from a continuity/loyalty/insider knowledge perspective, and then celebrated when Kelly was hired? In hindsight, the old inmates/asylum theory might be appropriate here.

I'm bookmarking this post, as I agree somewhat, however am conflicted about the coaching hire and direction. KH reached a ceiling with the program, and IMHO, a large part of it due to lack of HS recruiting successes over the last few years. The AD may have picked Caldwell to attempt to do the same as Collen at Baylor, among others. One could argue that Staley moving from Temple to SC had a similar tune. Fresh perspectives from a perceived outsider is sometimes what a program needs.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This team is going to play different than pervious years. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Reaction Score
FIrst, I almost spit my tea at my laptop with your "I still can't see this going the direction the LV fans want" comment. Didn't the fans want Holly, from a continuity/loyalty/insider knowledge perspective, and then celebrated when Kelly was hired? In hindsight, the old inmates/asylum theory might be appropriate here.

I'm bookmarking this post, as I agree somewhat, however am conflicted about the coaching hire and direction. KH reached a ceiling with the program, and IMHO, a large part of it due to lack of HS recruiting successes over the last few years. The AD may have picked Caldwell to attempt to do the same as Collen at Baylor, among others. One could argue that Staley moving from Temple to SC had a similar tune. Fresh perspectives from a perceived outsider is sometimes what a program needs.

The question I have is who is going to score.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The question I have is who is going to score.
From what I understand. This new style is everyone is going to score. It's a fast paced style Caldwell talked a bit about it I'm the video I posted.

Reaction Score
From what I understand. This new style is everyone is going to score. It's a fast paced style Caldwell talked a bit about it I'm the video I posted.

I get that, but you need a scorer. Someone to take over the game when needed. Kind of like what Jackson did.

Reaction Score

I'm going to defend the LVs fanatics a little bit in that Holly was given the job due to the situation the program's circumstances after Summitt's health declined. Frankly most of the WCBB world would have been upset had Holly not been given the chance so it made sense and most fans were okay with it. Harper's hiring was more of a mixed reaction when it happened. It was time to move on from Warlick but for many it seemed like the easy thing to do rather than the best thing. I took it with an open mind saying she fit the profile but

There is for sure a fanatical base of LV backers who have declined in numbers over the years since the Summitt days ended. When Harper was let go the fans of VN were salivating at the prospects of a big name coming it to right the ship and it was hard to tell if they were actually being serious, totally joking or thinking wishfully. When Caldwell was named it made me wonder just WTH went down between Harper and the AD because he let go of a five year coach who was doing at least okay but clearly wasn't going to get them back to a high level, and his choice is an unproven 1 year D1 HC with no high level basketball experience or success. Following a termination that seemed to indicate they weren't going to accept mediocrity the subsequent hire seems to be a Hail Mary pass to save what's left of the program's legacy and turn the page to a new era.

Fans have bemoaned they were turning into ODU and La Tech and I still maintain the program isn't nearly to that level but if this hire doesn't work out they certainly are closer to those programs than the elite level they occupied well into Warlick's time.

I'm sympathetic to the LV fans more than many would be as I too hope they can return to a high level but I think the landscape is so different now and that even Summitt wouldn't be as successful now with today's players and increased parity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom