Tennessee (23) @ Stanford (1) - 12/18/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That's not what I see.
My fine colleague, I think you animosity towards Stanford, however warranted (and I agree it is warranted) is clouding your perspective. Stanford is pretty darn good. Are they the #1 team, unknown but their schedule will determine that. They are a top 6 team. Hopefully, 3rd in the PAC12! That said, they are deep and may lack a dynamic offense which is typical of Tara's teams-defense first and foremost, outside shooting and then the inside game. They have 9 McDonald's All-Americans on this team for Pete's sake. I still like that our team does have an offense and if we can get Batouly back to spell ONO, we can compete and beat anyone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stanford has played only one true 'away' game, in San Francisco, and they have not played a game outside their time zone. How can we know whether they are a #1 caliber team?
So if on Sunday they beat a middling Texas team two time zones away, that'll prove they're #1?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
78-51 final. Tennessee only had 24 points at the half. Perhaps rumors of Tennessee's reanimation are premature?

(I do not intend to take anything away from Stanford. They are a very good team.)

Reaction Score
Tennessee needs more players. They don’t have enough quality depth or even starters 1-5. Green going down was a big loss offensively. The best attribute about their current team is their size overall. The only kids truly dependable to play at a high level offensively right now is Davis and Horston. Not sure this years recruiting class addresses all these issues. Tennessee saw quite a few good looks at the basket but straight up couldn’t make shots.All the coaching in the world is not going to fix these issues for Tennessee. The losses from last years team hurt a lot.

Stanford is always such a well coached team on both sides of the ball. They will be something to watch in a few months as that youth comes into their own and get more experienced. Very good win for Stanford tonight. I don’t know if Stanford is the #1 team but there are a lot of games to play and for teams to prove themselves. They are definitely a team that can make a major run in the NCAAT

Reaction Score
My fine colleague, I think you animosity towards Stanford, however warranted (and I agree it is warranted) is clouding your perspective. Stanford is pretty darn good. Are they the #1 team, unknown but their schedule will determine that. They are a top 6 team. Hopefully, 3rd in the PAC12! That said, they are deep and may lack a dynamic offense which is typical of Tara's teams-defense first and foremost, outside shooting and then the inside game. They have 9 McDonald's All-Americans on this team for Pete's sake. I still like that our team does have an offense and if we can get Batouly back to spell ONO, we can compete and beat anyone.

Stanford won and my guess is that Tara didn't even use half of what she had in her holster tonight. Tenn shot 28% and maybe some of that was Stanford's defense, but other than Davis and Horston it didn't look like anyone wanted to shoot and for good reason, they stink at it. I mean this is by far the best team Tenn has faced and they got exposed. As for the trees, this is the same Stanford team that went OT vs Gonzaga, a slightly better team than Tenn and was taken to the limit by Cal Baptist. That isn't evidence of a "pretty darn good" team except maybe in a relative way.
Like UConn, I'll wait till I see a couple of games against worthy opponents before I make judgments about who is good. Top 6? I guess but measured against whom? The other 5 haven't stood out either. Most have been playing gloried exhibitions. UConn has had to work hard against teams they closed out early in prior years.
IMO this year will go to the team that stays healthy and gets hot in April.

Reaction Score
I mean this is by far the best team Tenn has faced and they got exposed.

Tennessee already had major red flags going into this game. Their performance and loss at home to a mediocre Texas team said a lot. The only reason Tennessee is ranked in the top 25 was because they beat a depleted ND team who is in the process of a major rebuild. Tennessee is not that horrible, they have some talented kids capable of carrying their team but they haven’t proven anything to be top 25 to this point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Does this major beatdown finally shove Tennessee out of the top 25? Please say yes.

Reaction Score
Does this major beatdown finally shove Tennessee out of the top 25? Please say yes.
Suspect not. In WCBB the #1 team is expected to blow out the #23 team, and they did. Chalk.

Reaction Score
Stanford won and my guess is that Tara didn't even use half of what she had in her holster tonight. Tenn shot 28% and maybe some of that was Stanford's defense, but other than Davis and Horston it didn't look like anyone wanted to shoot and for good reason, they stink at it. I mean this is by far the best team Tenn has faced and they got exposed. As for the trees, this is the same Stanford team that went OT vs Gonzaga, a slightly better team than Tenn and was taken to the limit by Cal Baptist. That isn't evidence of a "pretty darn good" team except maybe in a relative way.
Like UConn, I'll wait till I see a couple of games against worthy opponents before I make judgments about who is good. Top 6? I guess but measured against whom? The other 5 haven't stood out either. Most have been playing gloried exhibitions. UConn has had to work hard against teams they closed out early in prior years.
IMO this year will go to the team that stays healthy and gets hot in April.
No question that Stanford is a TOP 6 team (this year). And, Gonzaga is more than slightly better than Tennessee. The Cal Baptist game was clearly the low point for Stanford, but Stanford found the way to a win. There isn't another team that is just flat out obviously superior to Stanford in the current TOP 10. This is the year of parity, and, just plain old fun.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought Stanford looked good once they warmed up, but Tennessee looked like Holly was still coaching. Horston is terrific, but she will need help.

Reaction Score
Suspect not. In WCBB the #1 team is expected to blow out the #23 team, and they did. Chalk.

If this was USF getting beat by Stanford they would be out. Tenn still gets a break and they got 100 votes while No 26 got 42, a big gap.
I'd prefer to see them still ranked when they get to CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom