Temple is a good veteran team, and it was a road game | The Boneyard

Temple is a good veteran team, and it was a road game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is a fact. Unfortunately its also an excuse for our performance in mid March.

Credit Temple for giving the fans tacos, which I hope some traveling UConn fans get to take advantage of. That is the only positive I can remotely muster.

Scrappy please get on-line!

Reaction Score
this goes up there with the other excuses people make... Houston played the best game of its life against us

Every AAC team plays their best against defending national champions

Every AAC away game sells out to watch Uconn..

ur right.. they are just excuses

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
this goes up there with the other excuses people make... Houston played the best game of its life against us

Losing to Temple doesn't compare to losing to Houston. Two completely different teams with different quality of players.

Reaction Score
Hey Kit - beware - Big Ern will say you're full of crap for using the fact that Temple is veteran

You don't see the different between his post and yours?

But hey, these things happen when you play in Philadelphia against coaches named Fran.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

You're right - a team never gets up to play the defending champion - UConn never saw any team's A game - UConn just plays like crap every game. Period. During my playing days I never got psyched to play the champs - only wanted to play the crap teams

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Temple is an un-ranked team fighting to make the tournament
That's because they were slow out of the gate due to injury and eligibility. Once the team came together they proved themselves. It hurt the AAC that this team and SMU didn't have all the parts in place beginning of the season. Heck Rodney going down in the PR tournament might have impacted things.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You don't see the different between his post and yours?

But hey, these things happen when you play in Philadelphia against coaches named Fran.

yeah I do and I said I was disappointed this year but I am not going over the cliff over this team
UConn sucked today = OK - its because they sucked all year
it has NOTHING to do with age, skill level or athleticism.
they just suck
now I feel what it feels like being you
your statements are irrational at times

Reaction Score
You're right - a team never gets up to play the defending champion - UConn never saw any team's A game - UConn just plays like crap every game. Period. During my playing days I never got psyched to play the champs - only wanted to play the crap teams

Ur right, it must be coincidence every game uconn loses is due to everyteam playing their "A" game

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ur right temple is tourney bound and will probably be a top 5 seed when everything is said and done, they are a perennial basketball powerhouse

Nice hyperbole. Temple is a better team than Houston by miles. They have better players, their guards shoot much better from the perimeter. They beat Kansas in non-conference play. Houston's best NC win? Texas Tech.

Not all programs not named UCONN are garbage. Learn to differentiate.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice hyperbole. Temple is a better team than Houston by miles. They have better players, their guards shoot much better from the perimeter. They beat Kansas in non-conference play. Houston's best NC win? Texas Tech.

And they were a name in bb in the recent past. They have history.

Reaction Score

U chose houston as the comparison to temple for all conference games we lost this season, this is uconn not central connecticut, we are supposed to be beating our instate rivals and teams that had no prior conference wins, is the bar that pathetically low they we are making excuses for every single loss in the AAC? A conference we were picked to win? Just think how this team would compete in the ACC or the old big east

Reaction Score

Temple actually does have a history of being a successful basketball school.

I think Temple is likely in now. They'll get Memphis in the first round of the AAC, so they'll likely take that, and then they get SMU. Even if they lose that game, they'll be 23-10 with a RPI of 31 and a SOS of of 58.

And a mauling of Kansas.

They're a good team. Still no excuse to have that type of second half (really, first half, too, outside of Boat) against them. They ain't that good.

Reaction Score
People need to stop justifying this loss, we're UConn a top 5/6 program All Time.... Nobody should feel comfortable losing to Temple home or away. I can guarantee Jim Calhoun isn't.
Right, but we've lost on the road--and at home!--to worse teams than Temple by far, even with Calhoun coaching.

This team doesn't have it.

I'm upset that they lost, of course, but not surprised. Had they pulled out the Memphis game, though, and I spent another day sifting through the bubble, I'd be devastated.

Reaction Score
People need to stop justifying this loss, we're UConn a top 5/6 program All Time.... Nobody should feel comfortable losing to Temple home or away. I can guarantee Jim Calhoun isn't.

Yup my point is uconn isnt a good team this year, I don't expect every year uconn to dominate but for uconn to lose to Yale and houston? Even in a down year we should be beating those teams.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Temple is just a better team.

They flat-smacked UConn in the second half.

Reaction Score
it's FREAKING TEMPLE, John Chaney has not been there in years.

And? Dunphy had them a perennial NCAA team until last year (2008-2013), when injuries destroyed them.

This isn't the loss to get upset about. We fared better than Kansas did.

Yale
Houston
Texas
Temple (H)
Memphis (x2)

Those are the losses we can--and should!--be pissed about. All of those should have been wins. That's 6 games the outcome should have been different. It's been that kind of year.

If this is the penance we have to pay for whatever voodoo Ollie did last year, I'll live with it though.

Provided we get this ship on the right course...

Reaction Score
We're people actually expecting UConn to win this game today? Temple is the second best team in our league. They were at home, and they're among the best defensive teams in the country. I actually thought things could have gotten uglier than they were; thankfully, Boatright played as well as you can possibly play in the first half which kept us in it.

But they pose match-up problems for us. Jaylen Bond, IMO, is one of the most underrated players in the country. For the most part, he abused Brimah. They play defense the way UConn played defense last year. Knowing that, it was going to require a sharp, focused defensive effort from all five guys, and this team has not demonstrated that they possess the toughness to win those type of games. I said on Sunday that I'd have been more impressed with this team winning @ Temple than I would have been with the SMU win. You can see why. Temple beat them because they're stronger, smarter, and tougher. Doesn't mean two of those three things can't change by next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom