OT: - Tell me about minisplit AC and heating | The Boneyard

OT: Tell me about minisplit AC and heating

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I’ve been told to consider a minisplit system for a renovation (breezeway “winterized” and possibly basement).

My biggest concern is operating costs for the electric heat.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
From what i know the efficiency of the split systems are better than ductwork. The conditioned air (heating or cooling) loses about 25% of its efficiency due to the distance it has to travel in the ductwork. Ive also read that they are cheaper to run than a traditional central AC due to the constant starting and stopping of the condensing unit.

Are these areas of the house that will be occupied frequently or is it a situation where youd maintain say 60 degrees unless youre using the room?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I own two. One in my family room in CT and another in the basement of our home in NH. Get the most efficient (15 -18., not the least which is 13 iirc). They will negotiate on the price and you will usually get a rebate back from the utility as well. We have a honeywell remote we can use to control them via our phones. They are really efficient and will cost peanuts to run. The main reason to go for the most efficient or at least not the least efficient is heating at lower temps. You need more umph (I don't know the technical term) below 30 degrees. Our CT one does a 15 x 22 room and the NH one cools and heats our whole lower level of about 1100 sq ft. I think we paid about $2600 for our latest one - then we got back a $600 rebate iirc. They started at $3200 and we negotiated down to $2600.

They are great!

Reaction Score
I own two. One in my family room in CT and another in the basement of our home in NH. Get the most efficient (15 -18., not the least which is 13 iirc). They will negotiate on the price and you will usually get a rebate back from the utility as well. We have a honeywell remote we can use to control them via our phones. They are really efficient and will cost peanuts to run. The main reason to go for the most efficient or at least not the least efficient is heating at lower temps. You need more umph (I don't know the technical term) below 30 degrees. Our CT one does a 15 x 22 room and the NH one cools and heats our whole lower level of about 1100 sq ft. I think we paid about $2600 for our latest one - then we got back a $600 rebate iirc. They started at $3200 and we negotiated down to $2600.

They are great!

Are those prices for the units themselves or does it include the installation?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It included the installation

Reaction Score
They are great and efficient. Most HVAC jobs are marked up 50% + a mini split just requires running the lineset to the air handler. So negotiate hard, then go harder.

I have worked in HVAC in Florida and would mini split my house if I could do it over.

They are beasts that require almost no maintenance.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love it, and the best systems actually reduce your energy costs

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Math problem. Energy usage is on the yellow Energy Star sticker. Capital cost amortized over life of unit + expected operating cost. Competing heat sources for small spaces are portable propane heater, inset wood or pellet stove. Connecting to your whole house system is probably a nonstarter. For cooling, wall unit, fan (hand or electric) or a kiddie pool with a block of ice. Insulation of the new space is most important.

Fair warning: I had some anesthetized dental work today so I'm still a little foggy. Proceed at your own risk. May pick a fight with before it wears off to given him more of a chance.

Reaction Score
I put in the system in 2010. I have 2 on 1st floor and attic unit with vents upstairs. Great job in summer but still haven't used oil burner this fall. Was told by the installers which was also my oil company that these are cheaper than oil when temps are 40 and above. I love them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom