Teams most hurt by the 2020 season cancelation and redemption. | The Boneyard

Teams most hurt by the 2020 season cancelation and redemption.

Reaction Score
That 2020 SDSU (30-2) was very good, better than the 2023 team imo. It must have stung for 2020 to end but they got their redemption 3 years later.

2020 Dayton (ranked 3rd and 29-2) was also excellent and often mentioned in 2020. Maybe this is their year, like last year was for SDSU.

Butler was ranked 24th and solid at 22-9. Seton Hall similar at 21-9. Butler hasn't quite been the same since but parts of this year looked promising.

Of course for us UConn, 19-12 having won 5 straight with a likely 6th in waiting was rounding into form.

However, often over looked was ETSU going 30-3 and looking like a potential s16 team, at least. It's been hard going ever since.

What other 2020 teams, similar to Dayton, ETSU and SDSU had awesome seasons and sadly dreams dashed due to the international emergency? Any teams who were awesome in 2020 prior to the closure that you wouldn't mind seeing go a long way this year (as long as they don't run into Uconn?) For me it's Dayton, again, as long as they don't come across the Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly, Kansas got the most screwed over that year. They looked every bit of a national championship caliber team. I know its hard to trust Jayhawks, they've busted my bracket more times than I can count. That 2020 Kansas team was a legit elite team and could've and likely would've won it all.

Reaction Score
That 2020 SDSU (30-2) was very good, better than the 2023 team imo. It must have stung for 2020 to end but they got their redemption 3 years later.

2020 Dayton (ranked 3rd and 29-2) was also excellent and often mentioned in 2020. Maybe this is their year, like last year was for SDSU.

Butler was ranked 24th and solid at 22-9. Seton Hall similar at 21-9. Butler hasn't quite been the same since but parts of this year looked promising.

Of course for us UConn, 19-12 having won 5 straight with a likely 6th in waiting was rounding into form.

However, often over looked was ETSU going 30-3 and looking like a potential s16 team, at least. It's been hard going ever since.

What other 2020 teams, similar to Dayton, ETSU and SDSU had awesome seasons and sadly dreams dashed due to the international emergency? Any teams who were awesome in 2020 prior to the closure that you wouldn't mind seeing go a long way this year (as long as they don't run into Uconn?) For me it's Dayton, again, as long as they don't come across the Huskies.
I want Dayton or VCu or both to replace DePaul.

Reaction Score
Dayton was the most brutal one for me. That team was REALLY good and had a legit chance at making a very deep run in the tournament. SDSUs run last year probably removes to sting for the fanbase, though not the team I’m sure.
This is the year Obi Toppin was making headlines for them. That does suck for Dayton because, no offense to their fans, but it's not like they have many good years where you could say they are competing for a title.

Reaction Score

That UConn team will always be a great "what-if" team for me. I really wanted to see Christian Vital play in a postseason game even if it was the NIT. He contributed his blood, sweat, and tears to UConn through the lean times and earned and deserved a postseason game.

I remember the AAC that year where all the teams, with the exception of Houston, were bubble teams and needed to win at least 1 game if not more to make the NCAAT. So those games if played would have had a lot at stake. It's very similar to the BET games this year for Nova, Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's.

Reaction Score
Speaking of 2020… would this be the last year of players getting an extra year?

Reaction Score
If not for Covid no Joey C last year and no Newton, and possibly Spencer this year. I guess we were the big winners.

You would think more freshman would want to redshirt now to get that valuable (NIL) 5th year.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Christian Vital was screwed, Period.
U of Houston was ranked in top 20 during 19-2020 and K Sampson loved CV and said he would love to have coached him in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
brands > markets

Dayton and VCU are not national brands. The only A10 team that makes any sense for the Big East is the team to our north, who actually finished ahead of VCU this year and almost beat Dayton at Dayton, but that won't happen because everyone wants to protect their territory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creighton

As a Creighton fan, I would argue that Creighton was helped, not hurt, by the cancellation of the 2020 BET and NCAAT. Yes, we had a great season, tying SH and Nova for the league title. CU was also the 1 seed for the BET and projected as a 2 seed for the NCAAs by the bracket project, and finished #7 in the final AP rankings (best end of season ranking ever). BUT....for those who remember, our point guard Marcus Zegarowski had a season-ending knee injury in the final minute of our last regular season game against Hall. Our back-up point guard was a walk-on. And McD's offenses just can't operate without a steady PG (and Z was much more than that), no matter how many skilled players you have at other positions (Ballock, Alexander, Mahoney, Jefferson, Bishop). We were going nowhere without Z. In fact, you could see see it happening in the first half (and only half lol) of the BET, as we were down to St. Johns (who was horrible that year) at halftime before Val cancelled the thing (thank you, Val). We would have been a first round disaster in the NCAAs that year. Covid saved us from embarrassment, and let us rest on our laurels of a great regular season. Perhaps the only positive that ever came out of the pandemic, lol.

Reaction Score
As a Creighton fan, I would argue that Creighton was helped, not hurt, by the cancellation of the 2020 BET and NCAAT. Yes, we had a great season, tying SH and Nova for the league title. CU was also the 1 seed for the BET and projected as a 2 seed for the NCAAs by the bracket project, and finished #7 in the final AP rankings (best end of season ranking ever). BUT....for those who remember, our point guard Marcus Zegarowski had a season-ending knee injury in the final minute of our last regular season game against Hall. Our back-up point guard was a walk-on. And McD's offenses just can't operate without a steady PG (and Z was much more than that), no matter how many skilled players you have at other positions (Ballock, Alexander, Mahoney, Jefferson, Bishop). We were going nowhere without Z. In fact, you could see see it happening in the first half (and only half lol) of the BET, as we were down to St. Johns (who was horrible that year) at halftime before Val cancelled the thing (thank you, Val). We would have been a first round disaster in the NCAAs that year. Covid saved us from embarrassment, and let us rest on our laurels of a great regular season. Perhaps the only positive that ever came out of the pandemic, lol.
I totally forgot about Zegarowski's injury.

Reaction Score
Just thought about a crazy idea, what if we just finished what was left of the 2020 season. So finish all the conference tournaments then have a selection Sunday then have a 2020 NCAA tournament, could do this right after this yours tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Should’ve continued the rest of the conference tourneys and the NCAA tournament in June or July.
I suppose they could have played tournament games in football stadiums with social distancing, maybe even the Final Four with minimal spectators on an aircraft carrier, but where would so many teams have practiced & played for the conference tournaments?

I'm not so sure about "should've."

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember Zegarowski's injury against Seton Hall. I see exactly what you are saying. That would've sucked if Creighton got a #2 based on their regular season and lost to a #15 in the first round. IMO, it's better to not make the NCAAT than being a #1, #2, or #3 seed and lose in the first round to the #16, #15, or #14 seed, respectively.

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember Zegarowski's injury against Seton Hall. I see exactly what you are saying. That would've sucked if Creighton got a #2 based on their regular season and lost to a #15 in the first round. IMO, it's better to not make the NCAAT than being a #1, #2, or #3 seed and lose in the first round to the #16, #15, or #14 seed, respectively.

Totally agree! For me, the sting of losing when you are heavy favorites exceeds the joy (or relief) of winning in such a situation. I guess it's the sense that everybody thinks you were a fraud all along. (See Purdue.) Let's hope both our teams (and Marquette) aren't regretting we made the tourney in few days, lol.

Reaction Score
That UConn team will always be a great "what-if" team for me. I really wanted to see Christian Vital play in a postseason game even if it was the NIT. He contributed his blood, sweat, and tears to UConn through the lean times and earned and deserved a postseason game.

I remember the AAC that year where all the teams, with the exception of Houston, were bubble teams and needed to win at least 1 game if not more to make the NCAAT. So those games if played would have had a lot at stake. It's very similar to the BET games this year for Nova, Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's.
It was the vital bridge team. Cutting that season short was a closing metaphor for that era.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom