TCU Forfeits Two Games | The Boneyard

TCU Forfeits Two Games

Reaction Score
Reasons have not yet been disclosed. If you recall, last year UConn was able to postpone one of its games due to lack of players due to injuries so apparently these circumstances are different if TCU was not able to do the same.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
TCU's own statement says it's due to injuries in the program.

Sedona Prince was already out with a broken finger, and point guard Jaden Owens tore her ACL and meniscus in the Houston game last weekend. TCU hasn't said which, if any, of the other nine players who played against Houston are now unavailable as well.

Conference rules apply to these situations. Arizona State forfeited some games a couple years ago for similar reasons.

Reaction Score
So apparently the respective conference decides what is considered "extraordinary circumstances". This situation is pretty similar to UConn's last year and it seems the Big East considered UConn's situation "extraordinary" and the Big 12 did not feel the same about TCU's situation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score

The provides better clarity. The team was already down to 6 players out of the 14 on their roster and injuries occurred yesterday during practice.
I’m struggling a little with numbers. Just 4 days ago, in a loss to Houston, TCU played 10 players. Owens was injured during that game, which should have left them with 9?
I haven't yet read the article from the Fort Worth paper, but @cancontent just said some injuries occurred yesterday in practice. The Houston game was last weekend.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So apparently the respective conference decides what is considered "extraordinary circumstances". This situation is pretty similar to UConn's last year and it seems the Big East considered UConn's situation "extraordinary" and the Big 12 did not feel the same about TCU's situation.
Different conference, different rules. Each conference sets its own rules regarding cancellations, forfeits, rescheduling, etc. as it pertains to having a minimum of available scholarship players. It's not about definitions of "extraordinariness".

Reaction Score
Different conference, different rules. Each conference sets its own rules regarding cancellations, forfeits, rescheduling, etc. as it pertains to having a minimum of available scholarship players. It's not about definitions of "extraordinariness".
Per ESPN article: Under conference rules, a school unable to field a team will forfeit the contest if no extraordinary circumstances exist.

I would say it is.

Reaction Score
The Big East allows postponement if you have less than 7 players. Big 12 apparently does not.

Reaction Score
I’m struggling a little with numbers. Just 4 days ago, in a loss to Houston, TCU played 10 players. Owens was injured during that game, which should have left them with 9?
I haven't yet read the article from the Fort Worth paper, but @cancontent just said some injuries occurred yesterday in practice. The Houston game was last weekend.

Sorry, thought I had copied Raoul's post in addition to the article. Hope this clarifies.

Reaction Score
The extraordinary circumstance is UConn carries their conference banner and Texas Christian does not, which is exactly what many said at the time.

Reaction Score
The extraordinary circumstance is UConn carries their conference banner and Texas Christian does not, which is exactly what many said at the time.
Wasn't there another Big East WCBB team that had to postpone a game due to injuries/illness? I vaguely recall something like that, not involving one of the top teams in the conference.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
Anybody know how NET and Massey algorithms handle this situation?
They are cancelled (non-forfeit) games for NCAA record-keeping purposes, so I assume they are just ignored. They only count as forfeits for Big 12 standing purposes.

Reaction Score
The Big East rule is different and doesn’t require extraordinary circumstance. Anytime you have 7 or less players the game can be canceled and ruled no contest without a loss or you can reschedule.

Reaction Score

The answer to the question about another Big East team might be in this post. Xavier went through this in December per this reporter.

I've been thinking about this. I don't see the issue permeating in men's sports, so I am doubtful it is an effect from the Covid days -- this is a theory I've seen on this forum. Even looking at other women sports, they don't seem to be having anything like this happen (let me know if I am wrong...I'm not "in the know" with many sports). So, this issue seems specific to women's basketball and that makes me wonder what about the sport has changed to make this happen...

Reaction Score
Schools need to heavily invest in their performance teams and they need to redesign their practices. A good place to start investigating is with schools that haven't had an extreme number of injuries in the past 4-5 yrs. What do they do differently? Oh and people need to stop brushing it off as just bad luck.

Reaction Score
this is bonkers TCU started the season 14-0 and they now don’t have enough players to field a team so they’re holding open tryouts!

Reaction Score
Schools need to heavily invest in their performance teams and they need to redesign their practices. A good place to start investigating is with schools that haven't had an extreme number of injuries in the past 4-5 yrs. What do they do differently? Oh and people need to stop brushing it off as just bad luck.

There's that but as I've said before, it has to start well before these players enter college. By the time they're at this level, they've trained and played a lot, sometimes year round. Players are coming in having already suffered injuries from highschool or AAU.

Think about it, look at the AAU and elite camp landscape even 5 years ago for the women's game. You didn't have multiple leagues competing to get the best talent. Heck AAU used to end in July, now it's carrying over into August now.

You didn't have the number top 100, Steph Curry camps or Nike Events that exist now. The trainer industry is rife with "coaches" having these kids spend more time in the gym than what was considered normal in the past. The extra time putting wear and tear on these bodies has to be taken into account.

Then the education of coaches. I don't know the US system like the Canadian one but it's severely lacking in body movement and injury prevention. It's too late by the time they get to the NCAA when the bad habits are in place as teens.

Reaction Score
There's that but as I've said before, it has to start well before these players enter college. By the time they're at this level, they've trained and played a lot, sometimes year round. Players are coming in having already suffered injuries from highschool or AAU.

Think about it, look at the AAU and elite camp landscape even 5 years ago for the women's game. You didn't have multiple leagues competing to get the best talent. Heck AAU used to end in July, now it's carrying over into August now.

You didn't have the number top 100, Steph Curry camps or Nike Events that exist now. The trainer industry is rife with "coaches" having these kids spend more time in the gym than what was considered normal in the past. The extra time putting wear and tear on these bodies has to be taken into account.

Then the education of coaches. I don't know the US system like the Canadian one but it's severely lacking in body movement and injury prevention. It's too late by the time they get to the NCAA when the bad habits are in place as teens.
I would argue that it is not too late. There are programs that are not having these problems right now. What you are suggesting will take years, maybe even decades to accomplish. Most of the answers that college programs need are right nextdoor with their men's programs and their performance teams. I would argue that a standard of body competency, readiness, and maintenance has to be set at the college level BEFORE youth leagues can and will make changes to their programs. They need a standard to follow that aims to yield success at the next level. Youth programs need to feel confident in the changes that are being asked of them and they will only feel confident if they know that what they are doing mirrors what the next level demands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom