2023 Recruiting: - Taylor Bol Bowen - EYBL Scouting Report | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Taylor Bol Bowen - EYBL Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm fortunate for work I get to go Nike EYBL (was at Peach Jam last year and saw CFJ and Karaban). Checked out Taylor's game today -- he is teammates with Gavin Griffiths but Gavin was not with the team (apparent injury -- he was listed on the roster).

Anyways, here are my notes on Bowen:
  • Played the 4/5 for majority of the game -- I'd say his best position would be a stretch 4 and he is definitely more comfortable on the perimeter rather than inside
  • When you see him in person you see how he's long and immediately think he's super athletic -- I'd actually say he's more skilled than athletic which surprised me. Not saying he isn't athletic by any means, but I'd say his athleticism is more on an Akok level (today, post injuries). Not a bad thing by any means, and I actually think it's a good thing in regards to how skilled he is
  • He has great handling for his size -- had a nice crossover setting up a mid-range jumper that swished. This is what surprised me the most. By no means can he be a primary ballhandler or bring the ball up the court, but the skill is there. They even set up some pick and rolls with him as the ballhandler which is awesome to run with your 4/5.
  • Didn't see much in terms of passing. Most of the time when he ended up with the ball, it resulted in a shot/FTs.
  • Great stroke for his size as well -- didn't really take many outside shots but got to the line a ton -- and made all but 1 FT. I think he can definitely be a decent 3P shooter (35%+) as a stretch 4. I think the fact he got to the line so often is a huge plus -- refs even missed a few shots or he would have went there more
  • More aggressive on offense than defense (hence getting to the line often). However, when he did put that engine into play on defense, he made a couple nice help blocks at the rim. Definitely would play well into our defensive system with how our shot blockers operate no doubt. Solid motor for sure overall but would like to see a little more.
  • He's pretty passive emotions wise -- think JLamb demeanor. Doesn't show emotions either way (positive or negative) like Lamb did and is also not vocal at all -- very quiet on the court. If you're the best player on your team I'd like to see you talking and leading your teammates more, but leadership isn't for everyone I suppose
  • Didn't see a lot in terms of rebounding which was disappointing -- I think it has to do with his engine to a degree, but definitely something he needs to work on.
Overall, I think he's worth the hype. Would say best case for him is a 2-year player. The skill is there but needs to work on his body, athleticism and engine. I'd say he's basically what we though Akok would be pre injury with a much, much better handle. I definitely think he's attainable for us too -- I don't know if he can step in right away an be the type of player that a Kentucky or Duke usually requires from their freshman. He could probably start at the 4 for us next season if he was on the team though, but would be the 5th option on offense.

Reaction Score
Surprising to hear he was better on offense. His calling card has been as a defender.

And I think his motor will be fine or better... it's early AAU. The kids are lazy as hell.

Has he raised the set point on his shot this year at Brewster at all? It was impacting his shooting %s a lot last year.

Reaction Score
Surprising to hear he was better on offense. His calling card has been as a defender.

And I think his motor will be fine or better... it's early AAU. The kids are lazy as hell.

Has he raised the set point on his shot this year at Brewster at all? It was impacting his shooting %s a lot last year.
Yeah likewise. I was expecting that and saw the opposite. He did pick it up later on with the blocks and it was a 930 game.

I saw one outside shot and it was still too low looked a little funky. But the FT stroke was pure so I think it will work out if he puts time into developing it.

Reaction Score
Checking out Justin Edwards vs Bronny James now. Edwards has all 8 of his team points in 2.5 minutes and scored at all 3 levels to get it. He’s as legit as it gets — he’ll be nice for Kentucky or Duke (even though we offered him).
Justin Edwards is flat out phenomenal. Not only is he a walking bucket at all 3 levels his IQ and decision making is outstanding. Impressive vision too. It’s not only making the right plays at the right time but executing the plays as well (ex. Knowing which type of pass to use, etc.)

I know we’re high on him and have a fighting chance but he’s something else.

Reaction Score
Yeah likewise. I was expecting that and saw the opposite. He did pick it up later on with the blocks and it was a 930 game.

I saw one outside shot and it was still too low looked a little funky. But the FT stroke was pure so I think it will work out if he puts time into developing it.

Yeah never been in love with his 3 ball. But good to hear he's more aggressive on offense... Brewster has been great for him.

Didn't Duke just pick up Mgbako? Should only help us. Providence and Arkansas were other schools heavily involved if I remember.

Reaction Score
Being a top 10 team next season would go a long way in being a real threat to beat out UK. Kids care about that stuff
100% agree. Brand, ranking, and national TV exposure are what kids are looking for. Duke's incoming class is an example of this. Coach K is gone, but they have the number one class by far with a coach who has never been a head coach.

Reaction Score
Justin Edwards is flat out phenomenal. Not only is he a walking bucket at all 3 levels his IQ and decision making is outstanding. Impressive vision too. It’s not only making the right plays at the right time but executing the plays as well (ex. Knowing which type of pass to use, etc.)

I know we’re high on him and have a fighting chance but he’s something else.
Justin Edwards has been making a strong case over the past year for being a top 10 prospect but now he is looking more like a top five prospect for Team Final in the class of 2023. The 6-foot-7 wing is as well-rounded of a prospect as anyone in the entire class.

He has size for his position, length, athleticism and he can dribble, pass and shoot all at a high level with a good feel for the game and also breaks down and defends on the other end of the court.

Edwards does it all for his Final team and he showed an improved athleticism along with his scoring ability today in front of John Calipari as well as assistants from Tennessee, Villanova and Kansas - earning himself an offer from the recently crowned champions.

Reaction Score
Justin Edwards has been making a strong case over the past year for being a top 10 prospect but now he is looking more like a top five prospect for Team Final in the class of 2023. The 6-foot-7 wing is as well-rounded of a prospect as anyone in the entire class.

He has size for his position, length, athleticism and he can dribble, pass and shoot all at a high level with a good feel for the game and also breaks down and defends on the other end of the court.

Edwards does it all for his Final team and he showed an improved athleticism along with his scoring ability today in front of John Calipari as well as assistants from Tennessee, Villanova and Kansas - earning himself an offer from the recently crowned champions.

I don’t think we’re in a place yet to win this one. I’d love to be wrong though. Hurley needs to be making sure Edwards has a Bouknight poster on his bedroom wall. Go get em Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom