Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
She sure does not need all the crazy travel that Stanford will have as part of the ACC
Bingo! I also felt that when it was announced that the PAC12 was dissolving and that Stamford would be playing in the ACC...that the writing was on the wall for Tara. dtbbtb hit the nail on the head...no way Tara at this stage of the game is up for all the change that playing in the ACC is going to bring into Tara's life. What is that sound I hear...it is a mass exodus as Stamford players start stampeding for the Transfer portal. I am sure with Tara leaving, Brink and Jump graduating the thought of playing somewhere else under more stable conditions is on the minds of many of Stamford's players and incoming recruits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was hoping it was about 60pct likely she’d do the crazy travel for one or two years for the transition, only 40pct that she would retire after this season. The logical thing to do was retire.

I’m hoping they do some sort of celebration so her loyal fans can say thank you,

Reaction Score
So later this year Geno will become the coach with the most wins. (And will he now be more inclined to call it quits after next year?
IMG_1035.gif

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope it was due to health. Hell of a career. She left nothing left to prove.
I hope it was just due to personal reasons like wanting to spend more time with family, feeling she'd accomplished all she wanted, not interested in all the travel, etc. Or maybe simply kicking back with a nice glass of wine, relaxing with her feet up on the ottoman, and enjoying retirement.

Reaction Score
Bummer! But I like how she did the whole retirement thing. She did the Tim Duncan retirement. Didn't announce anything. Probably her staff knew but it was low key to the rest of folks. Appreciate you, Coach Tara. One of the GOATs of the coaching profession. Wishing you well.

Reaction Score
Such a great coach and person. I wondered if this was going to happen after Betts went portal. Congratulations Coach on a wonderful career. You touched he lives of many young women and made them better for it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I was young, flying around the country on business, I didn’t have a second thought about spending much of my life in airports or on planes. Now that I’m retired, the only flying I do involves vacations. My wife and I love exploring places. But we absolutely hate flying.

Of course I am speculating, but I have to believe the dissolution of the PAC-12 and the subsequent decision by Stanford to join the ACC was the final element cementing Tara’s decision to leave coaching. I can not imagine that the prospect of getting on a plane to fly back and forth to NC, MA, etc. multiple times every season held any enjoyment for a 71 year old coach.

Tara is a classy lady who had a great career. But I do believe that there is some symmetry to Geno retiring, if that day ever comes, with the all time record for coaching wins.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Obvious question: Who might Stanford target as her replacement? Got a couple of names?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Obvious question: Who might Stanford target as her replacement? Got a couple of names?
Per the article on GoStanford, Kate Payne

STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford's Setsuko Ishiyama Director of Women's Basketball Tara VanDerveer, who has won more NCAA college basketball games than any coach in history, announced her retirement on Tuesday, April 9. Negotiations are underway with Kate Paye, who played under VanDerveer from 1991-95 and has been a member of her staff for the past 17 seasons, to become VanDerveer's successor. Paye would become the program's fifth head coach beginning with the 2024-25 season.

Reaction Score
With Tara’s retirement, Geno becomes, among active coaches, the coach with the most wins. Within a few weeks into the next season, he should become the coach with the most wins, active and retired.
I credit (unofficially, of course) Tara with 29 more wins for the '95-96 year that she coached the national team. As I said in another post, I don't think she cares about having the most wins.

Reaction Score
I think this explains Kiki in the portal.
There are rumors of Kiki in the portal, but Kiki is not in the portal. I would bet she stays at Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom