Syracuse is terrible | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse is terrible

Reaction Score
The Zone is now a ACC defense option...and blame it on the Big East...

“Here’s a stat for you,” Larranaga, a data maven, says to confirm the recent ACC trend toward zones. “In 2012-13, the year we won the ACC championship, in league play only, we did not face zone more than 10 possessions in the entire 18-game schedule.”

Then Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse joined the conference, and thinking shifted. “Last year we faced zone from almost every team, including Clemson and Florida State, teams that never zone,” Larranaga says. “The only teams that didn’t zone were Virginia and Duke, and now Duke is zoning.”

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The Zone is now a ACC defense option...and blame it on the Big East...

“Here’s a stat for you,” Larranaga, a data maven, says to confirm the recent ACC trend toward zones. “In 2012-13, the year we won the ACC championship, in league play only, we did not face zone more than 10 possessions in the entire 18-game schedule.”

Then Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse joined the conference, and thinking shifted. “Last year we faced zone from almost every team, including Clemson and Florida State, teams that never zone,” Larranaga says. “The only teams that didn’t zone were Virginia and Duke, and now Duke is zoning.”
More than half of the acc are Big East teams

Reaction Score
More than half of the acc are Big East teams
were...you do not want to awake the grammarian.

Gosh...But I had forgotten that fact...thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you ask this three weeks ago

thats the point of the post. If you have two shooters you can win games regardless of limited the rest if the players are
Three weeks ago the Syracuse board was imploding and wanted Boeheim fired. Goes to show how fickle both fan bases can be at times.

Reaction Score
Maybe why we should have a zone defense we can throw at select teams for 5-10 min a game?
Syracuse has it down to an art with an extended zone, and plays it the whole game. And, to my knowledge they have taller and long-armed guards as defenders. Not sure it makes much difference if used for a few minutes a game, unless it confuses the opponent.

Calhoun rigorously prepared for SU. To break the zone, you need outside shooters to get to the seams in the zone, a good shooter at the 4 hole, and one at the corners, both places where there is a gap in the zone. No shooters, it is a problem.

I am not sure, but I think a good driver from the 4 hole can break the zone with a good drive to the basket.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Syracuse has it down to an art with an extended zone, and plays it the whole game. And, to my knowledge they have taller and long-armed guards as defenders. Not sure it makes much difference if used for a few minutes a game, unless it confuses the opponent.

Calhoun rigorously prepared for SU. To break the zone, you need outside shooters to get to the seams in the zone, a good shooter at the 4 hole, and one at the corners, both places where there is a gap in the zone. No shooters, it is a problem.

I am not sure, but I think a good driver from the 4 hole can break the zone with a good drive to the basket.
Calhoun used to kill them by running baseline angles from foul line entries. His team’s rarely got suckered into 3 chucking

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I see average as a C and good as a B. And i would give Hurley a B on the season. Have a good night
Can you give B to a team that beat not one team above them? I dunno. Sounds to me like a C

Reaction Score
First round - Lower or middle seed that has rarely if ever played against the zone.
Second round - One day to prepare for the zone.
Third round - Good team that has had time to prepare for the zone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I see average as a C and good as a B. And i would give Hurley a B on the season. Have a good night
Marking with a generous curve???????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom