Surprised | The Boneyard

Surprised

Reaction Score
there has been no discussion here regarding Geno's comments about the transfer portal, and Seton Hall's Park-Lane transfer to Miss. St. Don't see the difference between Park-Lane and Lou Lopez Senechal.

Reaction Score
One crucial difference is that LLS had an opportunity, after graduation from a Division III school, to transfer for one year for graduate study at a Division I school, which exponentially enhanced her opportunity to play pro ball. And she did it with the blessing of her Division III coach.

Reaction Score
there has been no discussion here regarding Geno's comments about the transfer portal, and Seton Hall's Park-Lane transfer to Miss. St. Don't see the difference between Park-Lane and Lou Lopez Senechal.

LLS left Fairfield because her coach retired. This is not saying Park-Lane left for money.

Reaction Score
One crucial difference is that LLS had an opportunity, after graduation from a Division III school, to transfer for one year for graduate study at a Division I school, which exponentially enhanced her opportunity to play pro ball. And she did it with the blessing of her Division III coach.

Ummm… division III? Faifield is a D1 school

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
FAIRfield is D1

Reaction Score
Geno is absolutely right about the transfer portal. He didn’t drop her name as he was citing an example of the transfer portal hurting some programs. Transferring after your first year is different than transferring every year or even after three years. I believe Geno is talking about building relationships with players vs moving to another school to ‘get’ something. Lou transferred after four years at Fairfield. Ivy League players only had four years of eligibility so that is also diffierent. He is also talking about players not having to be accountable to the schools they play for. With NIL money flying around it’s hard to remember that this is technically college ball. The landscape has changed and it’s hard for many programs to be competitive; look at DePaul and Seton Hall. That is Geno’s point.

Reaction Score
I'm missing the crucial part here. Personally, I think if players feel there's ANY personal advantage in transferring, they should do it. Not for me to judge. Park Lane is in her 5th year, no? Coaches move to obtain certain advantages, so why not players? Even non athletes transfer, and no one says anything.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah Geno is getting raked over the coals in this one. Park-Lane was at Seton Hall 4 years and transferred out for her graduate year.

Strength and conditioning coach Kathi Jones - “Keep my PGs name out your mouth,” Jones tweeted. “She transferred as a grad transfer. Last I checked, dedicating 4 years of your eligibility to a university is a completion of the agreed upon commitment. She wants to compete for championships not a paycheck.”

“To say I left my 4 year university for money is reckless,” Park-Lane tweeted.

Head Coach Sam Purcell was more diplomatic:

“Geno is a legend in the game. I got a chance late in the night to listen to it and, you know what, a lot of the comments he made were actually right. The problem was at the end of the assumption was the reference to Seton Hall. The assumption that it was a reference to her and there were several players that left so we don’t know if he was thinking of her,” Purcell said.

“Everybody is talking about the negative in those statements, but I’m upset that no one is talking about what makes (Park-Lane) so special and good. Lauren Park-Lane defines what’s great about college athletics. This is a young lady that graduated from Seton Hall in four years.”

In hindsight, Geno probably should have just made his comments, and then NOT used any specific examples.

Reaction Score
Geno is absolutely right about the transfer portal. He didn’t drop her name as he was citing an example of the transfer portal hurting some programs. Transferring after your first year is different than transferring every year or even after three years. I believe Geno is talking about building relationships with players vs moving to another school to ‘get’ something. Lou transferred after four years at Fairfield. Ivy League players only had four years of eligibility so that is also diffierent. He is also talking about players not having to be accountable to the schools they play for. With NIL money flying around it’s hard to remember that this is technically college ball. The landscape has changed and it’s hard for many programs to be competitive; look at DePaul and Seton Hall. That is Geno’s point.
Lauren park lane played 4years at seton hall and took advantage of the Covid year same a lls
Geno has a valid point to make but imho
His description of park lane(everyone knew who he was talking about) is not the one to make it with
Her situation identical to Lou lopez
Imho only part of this that makes sense to me
Is that if the players can move on from the coach than the coaches should be able to move on from players
Unless it’s changed scholarshipS were a year to year
Commitment from the school
If it’s not given the current environment it should be

Perhaps Geno is sticking up for the big east
As they are most vulnerable to good players
Transferring to a bigger stage instead of
Playing at St. John’s in front of 174 fans

Love Geno but not 100 percent with him on this
One

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Eric nailed it correctly on many fronts. Geno was called out for it. The coach Kathi Jones took major Umbridge with Lauren being specifically mentioned and Coach Sam Purcell was diplomatic.

Geno was sticking up for his buddy Mr. Bozzella who, I suspect was less than pleased Lauren left when he convinced her another year of playing would benefit her (it just so happens she agreed but felt she would benefit elsewhere).

My view is Geno is the ultimate "Loyalty guy" in both his coaching fraternity and player sorority. He gives loyalty and expects loyalty and there is nothing wrong with that. However, it was myopic of him to not know how virtually every other coach in college sports behaves when a better offer comes along-they take it and leave the school and program in the dust. Just because Geno didn't or would do this, he has to be aware of how many others have done this and will continue to do this.

That's my take. He wasn't being duplicitous as he would not just jump ship but he is aware of how so many of his colleagues have done this so he was wrong for exposing that sentiment about any player.

Reaction Score
IMO Geno should have not mentioned a specific school.. He could have said mid majors or schools that do not have the same resources and other schools. Actually, a better example for him to use (if at all) could have been DePaul. Morrow was not a heralded player before she played for them, and DePaul gave her a great stage for her talents and then she transfers to LSU... in reality the players should do whatever they feel is the best for them and their future!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree with the latest comments posted. Geno is famous (some might say infamous) for his brutally honest takes, many of which are a combination of brilliant, insightful and funny. But occasionally he's stricken with sudden-onset foot-in-mouth disease, and I'm afraid this is one of those moments.

I'm sure he was speaking out of some sense of loyalty and solidarity with St. John's and Seton Hall, but both of those programs have themselves picked up very good players from the portal in the past 4-5 years (including some top recruits of p5 programs, like Cooks and Correa) but in the end did little with them. SJU did barely make the NCAA Tournament last year thanks to the fact we played a horrible game against them. Seton Hall seems to have acquired a permanent seat in the WNIT.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Well you fixed that didn't you? Geno says things that other coaches are thinking but are afraid to say. Then he takes the heat for it. If I recall correctly Geno was bashing the NIL aspect of the transfers, not the benefit of one added year of experience. Despite Park Lane denying it I would think Geno got his info. right from Bozzella and that was his understanding of the situation. He said she went somewhere else that meant more NIL money. When Lou Lopez transferred NIL had just kicked in and I doubt her initial motivation was prompted by direct NIL funds. Pro Scouts were pretty much aware of Park Lane and her abilities at Seton Hall but it's unlikely Lou was noticed very much at Fairfield. Her draft position obviously was magnified immensely after a year at UCONN (Not to mention "theoretically" a much better chance at championships)

Reaction Score
Well you fixed that didn't you? Geno says things that other coaches are thinking but are afraid to say. Then he takes the heat for it. If I recall correctly Geno was bashing the NIL aspect of the transfers, not the benefit of one added year of experience. Despite Park Lane denying it I would think Geno got his info. right from Bozzella and that was his understanding of the situation. He said she went somewhere else that meant more NIL money. When Lou Lopez transferred NIL had just kicked in and I doubt her initial motivation was prompted by direct NIL funds. Pro Scouts were pretty much aware of Park Lane and her abilities at Seton Hall but it's unlikely Lou was noticed very much at Fairfield. Her draft position obviously was magnified immensely after a year at UCONN (Not to mention "theoretically" a much better chance at championships)
Geno was upset that players were leaving after receiving valuable coaching, feeling no loyalty to coaches and schools. I hope he felt some sympathy, then, for Ohio St. and Fairfield. Re Seton Hall, you "think" Geno got his info from Bozzella? Park-Lane played 4 years, graduated, and, I think, wanted to play in a tougher conference to upgrade her resume. Anyway, I hate the portal because of the effect on recruited players at the schools where transfers end up. In the "old" days, making transfers sit a year at least let recruits know that there was someone sitting in the wings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strength and conditioning coach Kathi Jones - “Keep my PGs name out your mouth,” Jones tweeted.
Well since Geno didn't actually name her, he did keep her name out of his mouth. Technically speaking.

But whatever. Maybe Geno shouldn't have used that as an example but speaking broadly, he wasn't really wrong. NCAAF is by far the worst culprit when it comes to lack of loyalty to a program.

Reaction Score
Geno was upset that players were leaving after receiving valuable coaching, feeling no loyalty to coaches and schools. I hope he felt some sympathy, then, for Ohio St. and Fairfield. Re Seton Hall, you "think" Geno got his info from Bozzella? Park-Lane played 4 years, graduated, and, I think, wanted to play in a tougher conference to upgrade her resume. Anyway, I hate the portal because of the effect on recruited players at the schools where transfers end up. In the "old" days, making transfers sit a year at least let recruits know that there was someone sitting in the wings.
I couldn't have summed up my own feelings better, so thank you. None of my comments below are about what you said - I just wanted to call out yours! :)

I would add that this is a totally different time in college athletics between the transfer portal sort of blowing up, and NIL. As we've infused capitalism into everything, here it sits once again. This happens literally all the time in the working world so I'm not sure why he's getting bent out of shape about it. I find it hard to believe that folks on this board haven't left a job before. Unless everyone here stayed with their first employer, then it's no different. You got training, experience, etc. and they paid you for your time, then you decided to go somewhere else. Whether it's money, quality of life, or whatever - it literally doesn't matter - these are ADULTS making the choice that they think is best based on their circumstances.

The allusion that I especially don't like is that there needs to be some sort of blind loyalty there, like the athletes owe it to the coaches/school/program. Just like in the working world, the players are putting in hours and hours between workouts, practices, games, activities, travel, etc. - that is them fulfilling their side of the relationship. So, if a player decides at the end of 1, 2, 3, or 4 years to transfer out - they don't owe anyone anything because they've done what they need to do.

I'll end by saying that I don't like the environment that is created by all this either, but I'm not going to act like anyone is in the wrong. As someone mentioned, I do think Geno is a loyalty guy and to his credit, he's created the type of environment that most people don't want to leave, which is the goal! I just wish he would be a bit more thoughtful at times around some of the comments, as was mentioned previously.

Reaction Score
I couldn't have summed up my own feelings better, so thank you. None of my comments below are about what you said - I just wanted to call out yours! :)

I would add that this is a totally different time in college athletics between the transfer portal sort of blowing up, and NIL. As we've infused capitalism into everything, here it sits once again. This happens literally all the time in the working world so I'm not sure why he's getting bent out of shape about it. I find it hard to believe that folks on this board haven't left a job before. Unless everyone here stayed with their first employer, then it's no different. You got training, experience, etc. and they paid you for your time, then you decided to go somewhere else. Whether it's money, quality of life, or whatever - it literally doesn't matter - these are ADULTS making the choice that they think is best based on their circumstances.

The allusion that I especially don't like is that there needs to be some sort of blind loyalty there, like the athletes owe it to the coaches/school/program. Just like in the working world, the players are putting in hours and hours between workouts, practices, games, activities, travel, etc. - that is them fulfilling their side of the relationship. So, if a player decides at the end of 1, 2, 3, or 4 years to transfer out - they don't owe anyone anything because they've done what they need to do.

I'll end by saying that I don't like the environment that is created by all this either, but I'm not going to act like anyone is in the wrong. As someone mentioned, I do think Geno is a loyalty guy and to his credit, he's created the type of environment that most people don't want to leave, which is the goal! I just wish he would be a bit more thoughtful at times around some of the comments, as was mentioned previously.
Have to admit that I loved Park-Lane's comment, that" she left for money is reckless". Putting her Hall education to good use.

Reaction Score
I think Eric nailed it correctly on many fronts. Geno was called out for it. The coach Kathi Jones took major Umbridge with Lauren being specifically mentioned and Coach Sam Purcell was diplomatic.

Geno was sticking up for his buddy Mr. Bozzella who, I suspect was less than pleased Lauren left when he convinced her another year of playing would benefit her (it just so happens she agreed but felt she would benefit elsewhere).

My view is Geno is the ultimate "Loyalty guy" in both his coaching fraternity and player sorority. He gives loyalty and expects loyalty and there is nothing wrong with that. However, it was myopic of him to not know how virtually every other coach in college sports behaves when a better offer comes along-they take it and leave the school and program in the dust. Just because Geno didn't or would do this, he has to be aware of how many others have done this and will continue to do this.

That's my take. He wasn't being duplicitous as he would not just jump ship but he is aware of how so many of his colleagues have done this so he was wrong for exposing that sentiment about any player.
Very well said!!!helping renew my faith in the boneyard as the best forum for Wbb
Thank you

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I was also surprised it went unmentioned here, for a while at least, and glad that it seems to have blown over rather quickly. Geno made a rare misstep here. He's usually more media savvy, but there is a new set of mines to avoid these days. He can feel what he feels about the portal but you can't make assumptions (or judgements in public) about somebody's motivation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom