Sunday games | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Sunday games

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To me reducted Stormy >>>> Melania.

Also seems about 30 IQ points ahead.

Reverse the IQ points. Mélania is actually a pretty sharp woman.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reverse the IQ points. Mélania is actually a pretty sharp woman.

Don’t see it and since she doesn’t talk not sure how you’d come to that conclusion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sometimes a game just gets away from a team, and I think that is what happened with URI vs. Duke. Duke had 3 losses to teams that didn't make the tournament, and one loss to a team (VTech) that shouldn't have made the tournament. Duke could have easily lost to Syracuse in the prior round. I think Coach K is overrated and has been living off reputation for a while now, but I did not expect to see the laziness on defense. Kansas took a lot of 3's, and I am surprised they did not shoot better than 36% because most of the 3's were wide open, high percentage, catch and shoots facing the basket. Villanova would have torched Duke if Duke played like this against them. Duke's defense was just terrible today.

I don't think he's overrated. That's kind of a ridiculous thought, just look at that record.

What I do think is that his team's style is reflective of the types of players he's now getting. A lot more 1 and done guys, wher Duke's simply a way station stop to the NBA. K is great at developing players and building teams, but conciously targeting 1 and done guys takes away from type of coaching impact. Makes the final product look different.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There’s no doubt. I pushed for Beard earlier this year - at least talk to him - the guy is amazing. But, I love the Hurley hire - truly a great fit. I do think kids choose coaches and programs...much more weight than location or conference.

Not to poo poo it, but...

He's got 12 years of coaching at TT in some capacity. Helped put the program on the map with Bobby Knight. Those are significant roots. And He's getting $3.2m over 6yrs.

We would have had to offer him like 5mil+ or something absurd.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think he's overrated. That's kind of a ridiculous thought, just look at that record.

What I do think is that his team's style is reflective of the types of players he's now getting. A lot more 1 and done guys, wher Duke's simply a way station stop to the NBA. K is great at developing players and building teams, but conciously targeting 1 and done guys takes away from type of coaching impact. Makes the final product look different.

I think he’s a great coach. I think Cal is a great coach. Both of them now suffer from trying to win with inexperienced teams. Sometimes you get lucky, but at this level experience can beat talent. Plus older players are often physically tougher.

For a long time I think K had gone many years without having any one and dones. Now he lives by them.

Reaction Score
Front page on ESPN.com right now "Three Blue Bloods, A Miracle and the Final Four No One Saw Coming"

Uhhh....by what whacko definition are Michigan and Villanova "Blue Bloods?"

I guess that means we are too then.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Front page on ESPN.com right now "Three Blue Bloods, A Miracle and the Final Four No One Saw Coming"

Uhhh....by what whacko definition are Michigan and Villanova "Blue Bloods?"

I guess that means we are too then.

We are not. Some Rhode Islanders told me so.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure player development has ever been K's forte. That isn't to say he's bad at it, but I think a lot of times the players who have 'developed' are simply getting a chance to do more and play more minutes. For every Nolan Smith or Luke Kennard there's an Andre Dawkins, a Rasheed Sulaimon, or a Chris Duhon. Even Grayson Allen started to regress after his sophomore season to the point where he was a mostly useless player for them in the postseason. Nobody would have envisioned that two years ago.

Your definitely hamstrung to some degree when you're coaching one and dones, but then again that's never stopped people from blasting Cal before. When you look at the talent on the last couple Duke teams, they've lost a lot of games. There's no way around it.

That being said, he knows what he's doing. From an x's and o's standpoint, you're almost never going to be one upped as long as he's on the sidelines. The zone with this team was a good move, unfortunately, Duke was very undisciplined guarding away from the ball in this game and they paid for it. That happens with freshman and sometimes there is nothing you can do.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Zone defense :eek:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Did 1 and done's start last year? Duke has been losing early entrants to the NBA for decades.

Duke's defense sucked tonight despite having anywhere between 3 and 5 first round NBA draft picks, including 2 that will be Top 10. Call that what you want.

Reaction Score
Well March Madness is almost over so I'll start have to watching the NBA even though no defense is played.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Did 1 and done's start last year? Duke has been losing early entrants to the NBA for decades.

Huh? You are way off there.

Up until 2011, Duke had a grand total of two 1 and done's (Maggette/1999 and Deng/2004).

From 2011 to 2017, they had nine. Add in the 3 for this year and you have twelve in an 8 yr period.

The first 30 years: 2 such players.
The past 8 years: 12 such players.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By Nelson’s own argument Duke lost the game on a bogus charge call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
By Nelson’s own argument Duke lost the game on a bogus charge call.

That's not what I said. It was a wrong call, but I wasn't ripping my hair out about the officiating like you were. I thought the officiating was fine overall.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Huh? You are way off there.

Up until 2011, Duke had a grand total of two 1 and done's (Maggette/1999 and Deng/2004).

From 2011 to 2017, they had nine. Add in the 3 for this year and you have twelve in an 8 yr period.

The first 30 years: 2 such players.
The past 8 years: 12 such players.

I heard you the first time. There is literally nothing more tedious on basketball message boards than old men complaining that young men are not in college longer for the old men's amusement.

Got anything else?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not what I said. It was a wrong call, but I wasn't ripping my hair out about the officiating like you were. I thought the officiating was fine overall.

Ok - go ahead and quote my posts about the officiating.

You’ll find I noted the ref changing his mind halfway through that call and not much else.

Since you noted it was the turning point and disagreed - it doesn’t make much sense to rip K for losing to a high seed when you claim a bad call swung it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I heard you the first time. There is literally nothing more tedious on basketball message boards than old men complaining that young men are not in college longer for the old men's amusement.

1. It's got nothing to do with my amusement. It was just a simple statement of fact invalidating your point. What else do I need? It means K hasn't put together as cohesive teams for the last number of years because he's plugging freshman into key roles every single year. He's losing three guys this year (+grayson). And he's gaining another 3 (likely) 1-and-done's next year. Results will probably look similar.
2. I'm not old.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. It's got nothing to do with my amusement. It was just a simple statement of fact invalidating your point. What else do I need? It means K hasn't put together as cohesive teams for the last number of years because he's plugging freshman into key roles every single year. He's losing three guys this year (+grayson). And he's gaining another 3 (likely) 1-and-done's next year. Results will probably look similar.
2. I'm not old.

Complaining about 1 and done players is so objectively stupid that it should result in banning. On one hand you are defending Coach K, and on the other hand blaming 1 and done players for Duke's loss. If K is so smart, and 3 and 4 year players are better, then why doesn't K use 4 year players?

Coach K is responsible for the team on the court. Today's team played lousy perimeter defense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
VL7QYf_wNz_RIe0sD_-dFajxXCNp29UyT8lbs_1L2Hs.jpg

Celebration on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence yesterday

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Complaining about 1 and done players is so objectively stupid that it should result in banning. On one hand you are defending Coach K, and on the other hand blaming 1 and done players for Duke's loss. If K is so smart, and 3 and 4 year players are better, then why doesn't K use 4 year players?

Coach K is responsible for the team on the court. Today's team played lousy perimeter defense.

Calling that defense is being nice.

It was more like standing around watching Kansas shoot wide open 3s.

They're lucky it took them so long to get going. Kansas was only 11/34 from 3 in regulation despite a vast majority of them being wide open looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom