Sun Trade Gruda to LA for 11th pick | The Boneyard

Sun Trade Gruda to LA for 11th pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
in 2014 draft and 2nd round pick in 2015.

So, Sun adds Bentley and Douglas and now have the 1st and 11th picks in next month's draft.

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 47m
Connecticut Sun trade Sandrine Gruda to LA for No. 11 pick in this year's draft and 2nd rounder in 2015

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
At least they got something for her (moved up two spots from her original draft position). When she did play for the Sun I was impressed with her raw talent. She would have been a huge help the year before last.

It'll be interesting to see if she actually plays for the Sparks. I assume they would not have done the deal without talking to her. She'll be a big addition if she does. That 2nd round pick in 2015 will probably be a very late pick.

Unfortunately, there's not much in Uncasville to attract these young women to the place (unless they are into farms or gambling).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Gruda was never coming back to Uncasville. While she is talented and still has upside, getting the 11th pick is great for UConn.

Think about this...the Conn franchise is rebuilding, plain and simple. Lawson, a great team leader, is gone. Bass, who was a solid roleplayer and played very well next to Charles, is gone. Douglas is past her prime. Charles is not in her prime just yet, but will continue to grow and develop. Bentley is young. Montgomery is young and very talented, but she has to learn to balance scoring for herself and playmaking for others. The key is to mentor younger players (Douglas's role), but bring in talent.

With the 11th pick, Conn can take a player and wait for her to recover. Chelsea Gray would be a perfect pick here (provided she is expected to recover 100 percent). A post player would also be ideal here , though it depends on whether the team wants Charles at center or power forward (she has the shooting range to play the four, as evidence by her elbow and foul line jumpers). Natasha Howard, if available, would be a steal (and Jen Gillom, as an assistant, might just be the coach to help her develop her game as a post player). Jen Hamson might be good, if she decides on the WNBA instead of volleyball. I don't see Jordan Hooper as a viable option, because she is too similar to players already on the roster (Kelsey Griffin and Kayla Pedersen).

Reaction Score
Take Jen Hamson.

I'll come up to CT. and watch a couple of games this summer.

I'm glad Jen was able to get some recognition in the postseason. All Right!

Reaction Score
There might be an outside chance that Hartley is still there at the 11th pick. That would likely mean that Maggie Lucas, Chelsea Gray, Kayla McBride, and Shoni Schimmel (or at least 3 out of the 4) are taken before Bria. I think Stef will go at #5 to Indiana, and Bria goes at #9 or #10 to Seattle or Chicago.

Reaction Score
At least they got something for her (moved up two spots from her original draft position). When she did play for the Sun I was impressed with her raw talent. She would have been a huge help the year before last.

It'll be interesting to see if she actually plays for the Sparks. I assume they would not have done the deal without talking to her. She'll be a big addition if she does. That 2nd round pick in 2015 will probably be a very late pick.

Unfortunately, there's not much in Uncasville to attract these young women to the place (unless they are into farms or gambling).

It seems there have been many Sun players in the past that have asked to leave and flourished with another team. The reason has to be more than just the location of the team.

Reaction Score
If it's cheap to live there (or the team helps them with living arrangments) then I'd think it'd be a good place to play. They don't get paid much as rookies.

Seems to me it's kinda like a summer job.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Achonwa is probably no longer a top-10 pick meaning Bria might move up one spot.

Reaction Score
Achonwa is probably no longer a top-10 pick meaning Bria might move up one spot.
Agree. If someone is willing to wait a year for her recovery, drafting Achonwa could be the steal in the draft. Maybe early second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom