Summer Practice Highlights June 2023 ... 7/27, it's now "I went from Silent Movies to Black & White T.V to Colored T.V." Apologies to I Bleed Blue | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Summer Practice Highlights June 2023 ... 7/27, it's now "I went from Silent Movies to Black & White T.V to Colored T.V." Apologies to I Bleed Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4-5 channels max.
And when the TV went bad,we took all the tubes out and tested them on the tube tester at the drug store. CVS and Walgreens don't have tube testers.
Screenshot_20230725_191511_Google.jpg

Reaction Score
We had channel 3 Hartford, channel 8 New Haven, channel 18 Hartford, channel 22 Springfield Mass, and channel 40 also Springfield Mass. I lived in Enfield so was able to get the Mass channels.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We had channel 3 Hartford, channel 8 New Haven, channel 18 Hartford, channel 22 Springfield Mass, and channel 40 also Springfield Mass. I lived in Enfield so was able to get the Mass channels.
Channel 18 was the key channel for me. UConn some Knicks games during the early 70’s when they were good and the occasional Yankee game. That channel was my ESPN growing up. I dreamed of living in SE Ct instead of Central Ct so I would be able to get channel 11 WPIX out of New York. Yeah it was different back then. First cable box had like 10-12 buttons on it and you had a good picture. But no remote the box sat on top of the Zenith console TV.

Reaction Score
I'm from Enfield same Era. Fermi 90

Reaction Score
I grew up in Fairfield, we got NY TV and Hartford and New Haven TV so relatively lots of channels. Had to listen to my Red Sox on the radio though, just about no TV.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
We were the only family that I ever knew who had a Beta VCR. According to my dad, the quality was better…but it was nearly impossible to find a video store that rented Beta movies.

We had to turn the rotor/antenna on top of the house toward NY to get Yankee games on Channel 11.

Reaction Score
We were the only family that I ever knew who had a Beta VCR. According to my dad, the quality was better…but it was nearly impossible to find a video store that rented Beta movies.
We had to turn the rotor/antenna on top of the house toward NY to get Yankee games on Channel 11.
Except when that crappy metal contraption on the roof was frozen solid in the winter and would not budge!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Except when that crappy metal contraption on the roof was frozen solid in the winter and would not budge!
Yup this is us. The BY Boomers. Imagine how much the world has changed in our lifetime. Although an 88 grad year would put you right on the edge of the Boomer range. I remember they changed the dates as for awhile I was Gen X but then they moved the birth year up to 1965 so that made me a Boomer right on the cusp.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I watched the Dallas Vs Denver Super Bowl on a 12” Black and White television I got for Christmas. With todays options and technology, that seems like 100 years ago. You kids are spoiled nowadays

Reaction Score
I grew up in Fairfield, we got NY TV and Hartford and New Haven TV so relatively lots of channels. Had to listen to my Red Sox on the radio though, just about no TV.

You guys were lucky, I grew in Bridgeport. We could not afford a TV until I was 9/10. We did radio. I would listen to those far away stations which came in after sunset.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that if Cam Spencer earns nba money they’ll be a glitch in the matrix when Rutgers adds it to their total of earnings of players coached or cheered for by Rutgers coaches for at least one game…and we may reverse time

Reaction Score
BTW, our TVs had only VHF channels. We eventually got a UHF converter box that sat on top of the set, so we could then get channels higher than 13.
We actually had subscription TV service through Channel 18 for about two years. One black and white TV for the entire house. I remember all the relatives coming over for the Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston fight. What an upset that night! I had never laid eyes on a fighter like the winner. The Rangers had games on there but billing was basic service and add on for anything you watched. My family didn't have any hockey fans so we never watched any Rangers games. Channel 18 would send a monthly mini book out that had the program times and codes needed to input into the decoder box in order for the encrypted content to change to something watchable. I remember the first blockbuster movie I watched on there was "Mysterious Island" where some prisoners escaped from a civil war prison in an air balloon. Does anyone remember looking at Channel 18 programming when you did not decrypt it? The sound and picture were scrambled but you could still make out digitally scrambled images. I lived in Hartford. Channel 3 (CBS) was crystal clear. Channel 30 (NBC) was grainy clear. Channel 22 (NBC) slightly more grainy than 30. Channel 40 (IND) more grainy than 22 and Channel 8 (ABC) even more grainy. I can remember holding the rabbit ears in order to get a clearer picture on Channel 8 watching Wide World of Sports and the Olympics. I moved to West Haven during my high school years and the apartment complex had cable so I was thrilled to watch Channel 2 (CBS), Channel 4 (NBC), Channel 5 (IND), Channel 7 (ABC), Channel 9 (WOR/IND), Channel 11 (WPIX/IND) and Channel 13 (IND). The Mets were always (virtually every game) on Channel 9 (Ralph Kiner Lead) and the Yankees sometimes on Channel 11. Getting all the channels clear via cable was awesome to me. There were many late night movies on 9 and 11 and also late night was the Joe Franklin Show which showed old time movie clips from the early days of TV. My parents watched Channel 7 News because my parents loved Roger Grimsby the lead anchor and a young Geraldo Rivera who was always doing some expose work including a series on a mental health institute call WillowBrook (Upstate New York ) where his documentary was straight out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest infamy. Being from small city (Hartford) and being exposed to all the NYC news was very interesting. I never imagined cable would become what it has became. I remember cartoons were on from about 08:00 to 11:00 every Saturday morning on the three major networks head to head and no other times during the week. There was no Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. There were no movie or sports channels. The kids today just don't know how great they have it with TV and the internet these days.

Reaction Score
We actually had subscription TV service through Channel 18 for about two years. One black and white TV for the entire house. I remember all the relatives coming over for the Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston fight. What an upset that night! I had never laid eyes on a fighter like the winner. The Rangers had games on there but billing was basic service and add on for anything you watched. My family didn't have any hockey fans so we never watched any Rangers games. Channel 18 would send a monthly mini book out that had the program times and codes needed to input into the decoder box in order for the encrypted content to change to something watchable. I remember the first blockbuster movie I watched on there was "Mysterious Island" where some prisoners escaped from a civil war prison in an air balloon. Does anyone remember looking at Channel 18 programming when you did not decrypt it? The sound and picture were scrambled but you could still make out digitally scrambled images. I lived in Hartford. Channel 3 (CBS) was crystal clear. Channel 30 (NBC) was grainy clear. Channel 22 (NBC) slightly more grainy than 30. Channel 40 (IND) more grainy than 22 and Channel 8 (ABC) even more grainy. I can remember holding the rabbit ears in order to get a clearer picture on Channel 8 watching Wide World of Sports and the Olympics. I moved to West Haven during my high school years and the apartment complex had cable so I was thrilled to watch Channel 2 (CBS), Channel 4 (NBC), Channel 5 (IND), Channel 7 (ABC), Channel 9 (WOR/IND), Channel 11 (WPIX/IND) and Channel 13 (IND). The Mets were always (virtually every game) on Channel 9 (Ralph Kiner Lead) and the Yankees sometimes on Channel 11. Getting all the channels clear via cable was awesome to me. There were many late night movies on 9 and 11 and also late night was the Joe Franklin Show which showed old time movie clips from the early days of TV. My parents watched Channel 7 News because my parents loved Roger Grimsby the lead anchor and a young Geraldo Rivera who was always doing some expose work including a series on a mental health institute call WillowBrook (Upstate New York ) where his documentary was straight out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest infamy. Being from small city (Hartford) and being exposed to all the NYC news was very interesting. I never imagined cable would become what it has became. I remember cartoons were on from about 08:00 to 11:00 every Saturday morning on the three major networks head to head and no other times during the week. There was no Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. There were no movie or sports channels. The kids today just don't know how great they have it with TV and the internet these days.
Actually, I think that Willowbrook place may have been on Staten Island and it included both physically and mentally disabled people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom