Summary of the Season So Far - It's All About the Three | The Boneyard

Summary of the Season So Far - It's All About the Three

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Lot's of analysis on here about different aspects of the game. Defense is fine holding opponents to 37.5% from the field and 32% from three. Guards are fine as both Cole and Gaffney are over 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Rebounding - guess what? - fine at a little over +8.5/game. Blocks are at 7/game. Free throw shooting is a respectable 74% (would be helpful to get this up a few points).

In the 9 games we've won, we've shot 39% from three and have made at least 7 in those games.
In the 2 losses, we've shot 15.5% making 2 and 3 in those. Obviously if we make 7 in those games, we win both pretty comfortably.

For this team to be elite and go deep into the NCAA field, they have to shoot a consistent 35% from three and hit at least 7 or 8 a game. If they can manage that, there is some serious upside.

That's my armchair analysis for the night.

Reaction Score
Lot's of analysis on here about different aspects of the game. Defense is fine holding opponents to 37.5% from the field and 32% from three. Guards are fine as both Cole and Gaffney are over 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Rebounding - guess what? - fine at a little over +8.5/game. Blocks are at 7/game. Free throw shooting is a respectable 74% (would be helpful to get this up a few points).

In the 9 games we've won, we've shot 39% from three and have made at least 7 in those games.
In the 2 losses, we've shot 15.5% making 2 and 3 in those. Obviously if we make 7 in those games, we win both pretty comfortably.

For this team to be elite and go deep into the NCAA field, they have to shoot a consistent 35% from three and hit at least 7 or 8 a game. If they can manage that, there is some serious upside.

That's my armchair analysis for the night.
Pretty spot on

Reaction Score
Here’s my summary on the season through the eyes of the boneyard. UConn wins, life is great! Mild criticism towards players but nothing all that bad. UConn loses, the world is ending, fire Hurley!
Great analysis on your part though. A lot of the threes we miss are open looks. Not many are forced. Like you said though, if we make at least 30% in all of our up coming games, we are a very tough out for any opponent!

Reaction Score
Was gonna make a similar thread to this. 100% agree. Even without our inside threat I think we have been getting good looks. West Virginia was hitting fade away-no assist three pointers and we were missing wide open shots. We make them and we are tough to beat. Miss them and we are going to need to scrap for for a victory in most games .

Reaction Score
We went 8/27 (under 30%) against Bonnies and won by double figures, so I wouldn't say it's all about the three. Similar story against VCU. If we're not making 3s we need to be getting to the line. If we don't do either, we will lose against the better Big East teams.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Can someone smarter than me find out and post where we rank nationally in

3pt percentage shooting
3pt percentage defense
FT shooting percentage

Reaction Score
Here’s my summary on the season through the eyes of the boneyard. UConn wins, life is great! Mild criticism towards players but nothing all that bad. UConn loses, the world is ending, fire Hurley!
Every fan message board everywhere is convinced that their coach doesn’t know how to make substitutions or run an offense and when to use timeouts. Oh, and also that every player should just practice free throws more because game conditions are just like practice. It’s fun and good that people care, though.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two reasons a team will have a mediocre 3 point shooting percentage:

1) They have mediocre shooters, and
2) The offense does not create enough open 3 point shots.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We went 8/27 (under 30%) against Bonnies and won by double figures, so I wouldn't say it's all about the three. Similar story against VCU. If we're not making 3s we need to be getting to the line. If we don't do either, we will lose against the better Big East teams.
Still, had we gone 5/22 (23%) vs WVU and 4/16 (25%) vs MSU, both of those are wins. So, in effect, it's still about the 3s.

Reaction Score
Our defense is keeping us in games.. We are undefeated this season when our entire roster(esp starters) is available to play. BE competition on the horizon.

Can we close out games-make timely FTs(80%ish)- Make open threes at a reasonable rate --40%ish.??

Let's see how we address some of those challenges over the next 4-6 weeks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
3pt percentage shooting - 122nd (35.0%)
3pt percentage defense - 159th (32.2%)
I'm surprised to see 3pt percentage defense ranking so low. Moving into the upper third for this measurement (as well as shooting) is a reasonable goal and will be needed as the competition strengthens.

Many of the so-called open 3s seem rushed, whether taken too soon or too late in the shot clock.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
3pt percentage shooting - 122nd (35.0%)
3pt percentage defense - 159th (32.2%)
FT shooting percentage - 75th (74.2%)
Thanks. That FT number will be the difference in more than one more game this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are two reasons a team will have a mediocre 3 point shooting percentage:

1) They have mediocre shooters, and

There is a 3rd. The team is tight, feels pressure and loses confidence. #2 hasn't been our problem. Our misses vs WVU mostly came from guys who couldn't have been more wide open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom