Succession (HBO) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Succession (HBO)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Re-watching. Better the second time, and looking forward to season 2.

Stewy is an awesome character. It is hard to capture just how scumbaggy some of these big PE guys can be, but they nail it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reviewers have jumped on the bandwagon for Season 2, giving it a 99 on Rotten Tomatoes. I think there is so much high end TV that many reviewers only skim many of the shows.. I think that last year a lot of them didn't even watch more than the first episode or two of Season 1, and then a couple of bad reviews came out and the rest of the reviewers piled on. Episode 1x8 of last season was brilliant. One reviewer did a mea culpa, but the rest of the ones I read basically pretended last year's reviews didn't happen.

Jeremy Strong is giving a great performance of a spiraling Kendall, as is Nicholas Braun as Greg. The "park coke" scene was hilarious. The only complaint I have through two episodes is that I would like more Stewy.

Reaction Score
Reviewers have jumped on the bandwagon for Season 2, giving it a 99 on Rotten Tomatoes. I think there is so much high end TV that many reviewers only skim many of the shows.. I think that last year a lot of them didn't even watch more than the first episode or two of Season 1, and then a couple of bad reviews came out and the rest of the reviewers piled on. Episode 1x8 of last season was brilliant. One reviewer did a mea culpa, but the rest of the ones I read basically pretended last year's reviews didn't happen.

Jeremy Strong is giving a great performance of a spiraling Kendall, as is Nicholas Braun as Greg. The "park coke" scene was hilarious. The only complaint I have through two episodes is that I would like more Stewy.

Like I said, I haven’t seen episode 2, but I think my favorite line from episode 1 was “You don’t think he’d kill Kendall, right? It’d be weird if he killed Kendall”

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tom throwing the water bottles at Greg in the "other" panic room was hilarious. This season is tremendous.

Reaction Score
It’s special, guys. This last episode is some of the best TV I’ve ever seen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s special, guys. This last episode is some of the best TV I’ve ever seen.

It was brilliant.

The show never takes the easy way out. It could have used the Pierces (a fictionalized amalgamation of the Kennedys, Sulzbergers, Ted Turner and Katherine Graham) as a benevolent foil to the Roys, but instead, the Pierces were pretentious d-bags that were just as absurd as the Roys, more a mirror image than a foil, and who surrendered all their principles for a big payday. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
But just be forewarned, the first few episodes might not grab you but stick with it. The payoff is worth it.

I can stick with it. Is it comedy or drama. Not a big fan of comedy, which I know is weird. I laugh enough in my laugh. Lol. Not a big dark comedy fan either

Reaction Score
I can stick with it. Is it comedy or drama. Not a big fan of comedy, which I know is weird. I laugh enough in my laugh. Lol. Not a big dark comedy fan either

It’s a drama but there are definitely “dark comedy” aspects; but it’s in the same way that mad men or the sopranos had comedic parts.

However, it is every bit the drama that the aforementioned shows were

Reaction Score
i’ll take a shot at it not interested in quirky comedies or Cohen brothers. But if it is drama, I am in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"We're Listening" and "syphilis is the Myspace of STD's" were two of the funniest scenes of the season.

Reaction Score
On season 1 episode 10. Mrs. Silver and I binged it. Terrific show.

So happy Kendal finally got some balls. He was so weak, it was annoying. And Tom is such a weasel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is a ridiculous column trying to make Shiv's character into a feminist role model that completely misses the point of the show.

There are no heroes in this show, just different levels of villain. Shiv chews up men and spits them out, subjecting her own husband to repeated humiliation from her and her father's and brothers' verbal abuse, yet she has no pride at all when it comes to her father. Nan Pierce is not a hero and Rhea Jarrell is not a hero and Geri is certainly not a hero.

These are damaged, completely scalitoed up people that use each other and the men around them, and would discard anyone in a heartbeat the minute that person became useless to them economically. The writing is amazing because it is really hard to make a show compelling when there is no protagonist.

I can't think of another show like this. Even a dramedy like Shameless, with a lead character as awful as Frank, still has a few moral centers like Fiona or Lip to keep the show grounded. Other than maybe Greg, I hate all the characters on Succession, yet still love the show.

Reaction Score
This show is terrific. Boar on the floor is hilarious. Tom is such a weakling, it is hilarious. I am behind a couple of weeks, but absolutely addicted.

Is there any weaker male character on TV than Tom? Goodness.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This show is terrific. Boar on the floor is hilarious. Tom is such a weakling, it is hilarious. I am behind a couple of weeks, but absolutely addicted.

Is there any weaker male character on TV than Tom? Goodness.

Tom is a middle manager that has achieved a position far beyond his abilities. He knows he is out of his league, but he loves the money and power. They all do. He is also smart enough to realize he is in over his head. That is the rationale for keeping Greg, who is much smarter than Tom, around at all.

The dynamic between the children and the non-family executives is hilarious and spot on. Francis took one crack at Logan with Kendall, got crushed, and now he will both never trust any of the kids again, and is a total sycophant for Logan. Geri manipulates Shiv, Kendall and Roman all the time to preserve her place and make them the fall guy for bad things that happen. The news boss, Cyd Peach, dismantled Tom within the first 3 minutes of meeting him, but when things got ugly with the Nazi news anchor, she wanted their cover.

Other than maybe Cyd, none of the non-family executives are really "A players", but they are exactly the kind of people that you find at the top of big, family owned corporations. They got their positions through the good graces of the family, not their ability.

The show is set up in almost a Game of Thrones contest for Logan's Iron Throne.

Reaction Score
Tom is a middle manager that has achieved a position far beyond his abilities. He knows he is out of his league, but he loves the money and power. They all do. He is also smart enough to realize he is in over his head. That is the rationale for keeping Greg, who is much smarter than Tom, around at all.

The dynamic between the children and the non-family executives is hilarious and spot on. Francis took one crack at Logan with Kendall, got crushed, and now he will both never trust any of the kids again, and is a total sycophant for Logan. Geri manipulates Shiv, Kendall and Roman all the time to preserve her place and make them the fall guy for bad things that happen. The news boss, Cyd Peach, dismantled Tom within the first 3 minutes of meeting him, but when things got ugly with the Nazi news anchor, she wanted their cover.

Other than maybe Cyd, none of the non-family executives are really "A players", but they are exactly the kind of people that you find at the top of big, family owned corporations. They got their positions through the good graces of the family, not their ability.

The show is set up in almost a Game of Thrones contest for Logan's Iron Throne.

Not only that, Tom gets to marry Shiv. So out of his league. Love this show. I find Geri hilarious too.

Boar on the floor, SMH. I think Greg becomes somebody. They don’t even like his uncle, no idea who he is, and is now wearing a suit. I love it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom