Strategy Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strategy Thoughts

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The least of our worries? Our big man has a foot injury, Johnson has barely played for two seasons and the other big is a freshman.

What other depth issue do you envision?
We are three deep there. We have two shooting guard on the roster, one is a freshman. That's a bigger depth concern if injury hits. Cam or Solo go down and we are really thin. Probably have to move Castle to PG and put Newton off the ball, and play a freshman at the 3.

Reaction Score
We are three deep there. We have two shooting guard on the roster, one is a freshman. That's a bigger depth concern if injury hits. Cam or Solo go down and we are really thin. Probably have to move Castle to PG and put Newton off the ball, and play a freshman at the 3.
Newton, Castle, Spencer, Ball, Ross are all capable of giving us minutes at the 2 spot. We're certainly not thin at any of the 1-4 spots

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Newton, Castle, Spencer, Ball, Ross are all capable of giving us minutes at the 2 spot. We're certainly not thin at any of the 1-4 spots
I asked multiple times and everyone on this board said Ross cannot play the 2. Isn't a ball handler. We have wings, but they mostly aren't guards. I'm not worried about it. It's college, any big injury is going to test your depth.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I really don't think that's true. If Cam or Solo go down we still have a back court with the guy who put up the most points in the 2023 National Title game and a forecasted top 10 NBA draft pick.

That's a worlds different than a Clingan Injury from to have to turn to Johnson (who's played 115 minutes total in 2 years),.and a sub 100 freshman recruit.

Reaction Score
I asked multiple times and everyone on this board said Ross cannot play the 2. Isn't a ball handler. We have wings, but they mostly aren't guards. I'm not worried about it. It's college, any big injury is going to test your depth.
Okay so take Ross out then, we still have 4 guys who can get minutes at the 2. Still more than enough and much better depth than at the center position. But yes any big injury is going to cause issues as it would with most teams. But I'm going to have to strongly disagree if you think an injury to Spencer causes bigger issues than an injury to Clingan in terms of depth

Reaction Score
The least of our worries? Our big man has a foot injury, Johnson has barely played for two seasons and the other big is a freshman.

What other depth issue do you envision?
If you're worried about the center position this season you're really going to be worrying about it next season.

Granted I'm worried about Clingan's foot because he's 7'3 285 lbs and Big bigs with foot problems is always a major concern. If he's healthy I have zero concerns about the center position this season. I think we'll probably be the strongest in the country at the position.

HuskyHawk is just responding to the question about foul trouble.

pj

Reaction Score
Not to belabor the point, but ask yourself this: how many times this year will we take a 2-point dunk from Clingan where we might have had an outside trey from Spenser, Karaban or Newton -- or a 3-point "and one" from Castle or Newton driving to the hoop. Just as in 2014, we have exceptional 3-point potential from the wings. Unlike in 2014, we also have offensive potential at the 5. The challenge will be to meld the two effectively.

If Clingan is shooting 70% from the floor, we'll take his dunks every time. Clingan will get some and-ones as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I really don't think that's true. If Cam or Solo go down we still have a back court with the guy who put up the most points in the 2023 National Title game and a forecasted top 10 NBA draft pick.

That's a worlds different than a Clingan Injury from to have to turn to Johnson (who's played 115 minutes total in 2 years),.and a sub 100 freshman recruit.
Yeah, I'm not worried about Johnson except that we probably have to find a way to get him more minutes than he will get as Clingan's backup.

Reaction Score
If Clingan is injured and can't play that's the biggest problem, he's our best and most important player. Let's hope and pray it doesn't happen.

I thought we were just talking about foul trouble? That was Ricker's question.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If Clingan is injured and can't play that's the biggest problem, he's our best and most important player. Let's hope and pray it doesn't happen.

I thought we were just talking about foul trouble? That was Ricker's question.
Any of the starters going out would be a huge problem.

As for foul trouble, I just don't see our two centers getting 4 fouls in a half. Very unlikely and if it happened, there would be maybe a minute left. Whatever. Throw Singare out there. No big deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you're worried about the center position this season you're really going to be worrying about it next season.

Granted I'm worried about Clingan's foot because he's 7'3 285 lbs and Big bigs with foot problems is always a major concern. If he's healthy I have zero concerns about the center position this season. I think we'll probably be the strongest in the country at the position.

HuskyHawk is just responding to the question about foul trouble.

I think you just made my point? Clingan is the best player and the drop off is likely significant from him to Johnson, compared to the other positions.

My original point was about foul trouble as well in addition to injuries as well. If Clingan wants to be on the floor for ~25 mpg he's going to need to foul at a lower clip.

Reaction Score
Last year, when this scenario unfolded (or similar ones), Hurley just kept Clingan, the backup, in the game. So I assume he'd just keep Samson in this season.

It doesn't really matter if your backup has too many fouls at halftime. The worst case scenario is... you play your starter more in the 2nd half. And you can do that by protecting him in 1st half by keeping your backup to normal rotation.

Now if Samson got like 4 fouls or something in the first half, we'd probably go to Singare.

Reaction Score
I think you just made my point? Clingan is the best player and the drop off is likely significant from him to Johnson, compared to the other positions.

My original point was about foul trouble as well in addition to injuries as well. If Clingan wants to be on the floor for ~25 mpg he's going to need to foul at a lower clip.
The drop off will be a lot, but Samson has been singled out as the best/most consistent player in the 2 scrimmages. I think he is a starter quality player all things considered, who just happens to be behind one of the best players in the whole country.

It's not a problem if Samson has to play a lot... it's just a real blessing if we get a ton of Clingan.

Reaction Score
The drop off will be a lot, but Samson has been singled out as the best/most consistent player in the 2 scrimmages. I think he is a starter quality player all things considered, who just happens to be behind one of the best players in the whole country.

It's not a problem if Samson has to play a lot... it's just a real blessing if we get a ton of Clingan.
This is a great point and I could not have worded it any better.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Wall. Potential.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"
Posing question #1 because I think this scenario will occur at least 5x this year and I'd love to hear thoughts now vs when we have seen more on the court.
2 fouls on both Clingan & Johnson at the 10 min mark of the first half against a quality opponent."

I think there is little to no chance of your scenario coming up 5 times.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I have nothing against Samson personally and I hope he succeeds, but that's reading an awful lot into coach speak about preseason exhibition games.

Reaction Score
"
Posing question #1 because I think this scenario will occur at least 5x this year and I'd love to hear thoughts now vs when we have seen more on the court.
2 fouls on both Clingan & Johnson at the 10 min mark of the first half against a quality opponent."

I think there is little to no chance of your scenario coming up 5 times.
I'll take the over

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom