Stonehill Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Stonehill Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Last year we supposedly had this really deep team and a great bench that helped us win a championship. And I don't even really disagree that it helped us, but I think it's being overstated a bit. This was our bench last year in terms of scoring

Donovan Clingan 7 PPG - it's only 2 games but Samson looks more than capable of replacing that scoring even if it's not in as dominant a fashion

Hassan Diarra 2 PPG - he's back again on the bench

Joey Calcaterra 6 PPG
Nahiem Alleyne 5 PPG

If our 3 top 75 freshmen can't give us 11 PPG between the 3 of them then something has gone seriously wrong. Bench depth/scoring is not even close to a concern for this season IMO

Reaction Score
Bench offense won't be a concern. Just need them to defend. Johnson in particular has GOT to step up his defensive IQ. Get in the film room and be ready for IU.
Yeah foul trouble at the 5 could be a concern. Hoping that the defensive lapses from Johnson and Clingan so far are a result of the game being over 5 seconds in so they're playing more reckless and that cleans itself up against better competition

Reaction Score
Spencer needs to tighten his game up a bit. But, he's creative and complements the other starters. Good fit for this team.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This is my only real concern. The freshmen are playing like freshmen. You can tell they’re legit talents, but will they be consistent enough to be reliable against better teams? A little afraid we’re gonna see a lot of 35+ minute box scores from our starters against plus comp.
It's their 2nd game in college.

Reaction Score
Love the high skill level of this team.

Does anyone have concerns about a bit of a drop off in athletic ability? It isn't apparent on offense. But they'll have to play better team D because of the loss of Jackson and Hawkins (who was sneaky good on the defensive end).

The development of Solo Ball and either Ross or Stewart will be critical in this regard. It's a long and bruising season; can't solely rely on the big 4. I am assuming Samson and Diarra will rise to the occasion.
Defense dropoff is the main issue. We all know jackson was among the best defenders in country. Sanago and alleyne was also elite and hawkins solid. Unless freshman fill the gap, this could be achilles heal

Reaction Score
I can just say that they didn't block anything and they weren't disruptive. Nothing like the crew that yelled "baby murderer" at me for 5 years running until COVID. Don't remember any BY comments back then.
What? And that was…why? Actually, I’d rather you don’t answer and I don’t know. Let’s talk basketball.

Reaction Score
Benigni is a senior. This was his third D1 game (and his best game to date), and i can't tell if he's ever played for any college in any division. Anyone from the E. Hampton area know his story and how he wasn't on anyone else's radar (not us, but like CCSU and the like).
Benigni stayed hot in the second half, and with about 12 minutes left, Hurley shouted to him, "Can you stop scoring!?!?"

Alternate access:

CT native Jackson Benigni scores 22 in Stonehill's loss to UConn men's basketball team: 'Dream come true'

Reaction Score
That's always been my comparison for Castle.
Agree. Good comparison.

Not sure I see the Spencer = Nadav comparison. Dove was one of the best instinctive college defenders I've ever seen. No one seemed to step into passing lanes like he did. Although not the best time to remind people of his nickname, but he was called the Gaza Stripper.

Reaction Score
Castle is a much better defender than I anticipated. Pleasantly surprised by this and his overall game, minus a couple of brain fart passes was really good yesterday.

Tristen was at his finest his consistency will be needed. Alex was quietly good even without shooting it well. Nice to get so many rebounds from the 5 starters. Spencer is great for the offense moves the ball really well, sees plays well ahead. We know he will make shots not worried about that. The freshman are talented will be interesting to see who steps up to get minutes. Ball is good but I’m intrigued with Stewart think there’s a lot of points in that kid.

They need to tighten up that 1-3-1 trap as Clingan was wandering way too high too much lots of open space good teams will rip it up. Defense makes me nervous early on as I watch them against lesser teams and then watch other Big East teams. Help defense was non existent quite a few times.

They’re good for sure, can’t wait to see how good in the next few games!

Reaction Score
Benigni stayed hot in the second half, and with about 12 minutes left, Hurley shouted to him, "Can you stop scoring!?!?"

Alternate access:

CT native Jackson Benigni scores 22 in Stonehill's loss to UConn men's basketball team: 'Dream come true'

Big hug from Dan at the end of the handshake line after the game. Smiles, conversation there’s history of sorts I’m guessing.

Reaction Score
Defense, assists, ball movement got us a title. Johnson is going to be on the receiving end for dunks all year but I really liked the assist he had to Karaban. A big man with vision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Defense dropoff is the main issue. We all know jackson was among the best defenders in country. Sanago and alleyne was also elite and hawkins solid. Unless freshman fill the gap, this could be achilles heal

Listening to several interviews since the chip, Hurley says he's always been a defensive first coach and hammered home defense in practices. And that perspective got him bounced inbthe first round twice.

He's learning it's okay to win a shootout.

He will still try to win with D but he's learned you can't just glue a player to the bench if they are capable of scoring.

Reaction Score
You're missing 1 player from the group, Samson Johnson is included in that group as well. And I didn't say 20, I said 15-20
6-10 are young and need reps. Far more important than the end of bench getting scrub time. Big games on horizon
[/QUOTE
You're missing 1 player from the group, Samson Johnson is included in that group as well. And I didn't say 20, I said 15-20

Yea but it’s still a tall task to think you’ll get 3-5ppg from them. It can happen, I find it unlikely though. In a month or so we’ll have a better idea of what to expect from the bench. As of now, I see a major weakness not the strength that separated them last year. At best, Johnson replaces Clingan’s role and Diarra can be a defensive sub. Everything else is completely unknown.

Reaction Score
Yea but it’s still a tall task to think you’ll get 3-5ppg from them. It can happen, I find it unlikely though. In a month or so we’ll have a better idea of what to expect from the bench. As of now, I see a major weakness not the strength that separated them last year. At best, Johnson replaces Clingan’s role and Diarra can be a defensive sub. Everything else is completely unknown.
If our top recruits can't score 3-5 points a game then what are we even doing here? You must have a pretty negative view of UConn's recruiting if one of our highest ranked classes ever can't even contribute at all

Reaction Score
If Spencer would have shot his average 3-pt % today, we might have put up 125 or more. He didn't let missed shots impact his game in other ways... moved the ball well, not worried.

And I thought Danny wanted to see him continue shooting. If we can get him going, we will be a tough out.

Reaction Score
Benigni is a senior. This was his third D1 game (and his best game to date), and i can't tell if he's ever played for any college in any division. Anyone from the E. Hampton area know his story and how he wasn't on anyone else's radar (not us, but like CCSU and the like).

I was actually happy for him. I thought he outplayed a number of our guards on the offensive end, but it was difficult on the D side.

Reaction Score
If our top recruits can't score 3-5 points a game then what are we even doing here? You must have a pretty negative view of UConn's recruiting if one of our highest ranked classes ever can't even contribute at all

It’s not a negative view at all. The ranking of the class itself will only matter if/when the players perform on the court, and perform up to that “ranking”. As a fan I think it’s fair to expect that type of production from a top ranked recruiting class, however, it doesn’t always work out that way. I hope for the best. In a month, if Ball or Ross or Samson are performing at those levels then the expectation of those numbers being achieved would be fair. Otherwise, I just think on paper, and in hindsight, that Alleyne, Calcuttera, Clingan, Diarra, coming off the bench, it’s not there as of Nov. 12. Then again, nobody imagined Clingan would become the important piece that he played last year…a fortunate come about. Those are rare.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Big hug from Dan at the end of the handshake line after the game. Smiles, conversation there’s history of sorts I’m guessing.
planting the seeds for bringing a CT kid back home?
2 years of eligibility left ..... a Joey C-lite role?

Reaction Score
That was a fun game! Lots of things to like, but these stuck out the most-
  • Welcome to UConn Stephon Castle! Under control all game, so good in the open floor and in the middle of the zone, and let the game come to him this time. 7-7 from the FT line!!
  • Engaged and active Tristen Newton is a very dangerous player. Efficient 20 piece today
  • Right from jump ball I could tell Clingan was going to feast. Took his time in the post, which led to some better looks. Looked like he was playing against children
  • Ball and Ross look like real players. They don't look lost out there, and I think their learning curves will be pretty short
Hard to find things to dislike after a 40 point win, but there were 2 things that I noticed..
  • I don't like the 1-3-1 zone. It led to some good traps and steals, but gave up a lot of good looks. Don't really want to see it against better competition
  • Don't love the Ball/Diarra lineups without Castle or Newton in the game. I do think Ball had a really good game today, and Diarra is best as a defensive disruptor. They have roles that they will be really good at, but lead ballhandler isn't one of them
Not much went well for Stonehill today but shoutout Jackson Benigni #3. 22 points and 4 threes. He showed up to play. From CT

#3 is my neighbor! Incredibly nice kid who played at Hamden Hall and works his butt off. Was really cool to see him play so well.

Reaction Score
Figured out who castle reminds me of. Jimmy butler. Not in butlers selfish scoring game but in his build and the way he moves and glides with the ball. Deliberate then with that spin, idk if can stop him getting to rim at will with our spacing

Spencer reminds me of nadav. His shot was off and alley oops had too much air, but he has same affect on both ends that nadav did. He facilitates offense, getting ball moving I liked different zone presses which are made possible bc of players like cam and castle as they are both high iq
Took a look back at a young Dennis Johnson when he was with the Supersonics and his overall game and output is what I see in Castle at the moment - well rounded player that sees the whole court, is physical, athletic enough to get everything needed done, and shoots well enough at all three levels to be a very good scorer.

Reaction Score
This guy has to be a troll. (Not you, @navery12)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom