Stewart and Nurse keeping up with school work | The Boneyard

Stewart and Nurse keeping up with school work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a fan of the whole missing a month of classes. Just cements in my mind how these are athlete-students and not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the whole missing a month of classes. Just cements in my mind how these are athlete-students and not the other way around.
What is the difference between them being in Storrs or on a computer? IMHO as long as you are doing the required reading and studying then what is the difference?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What is the difference between them being in Storrs or on a computer? IMHO as long as you are doing the required reading and studying then what is the difference?
Missing a month to go on a spring break party binge, or to play video games at home, or a number of other frivolous choices is an issue in my mind, but to miss classes to participate in WC or Olympics is a very different thing. There is a whole lot of learning that is happening and not just the athletic growth of these two players. While not ideal, illness and accident can cause students to miss significant time in class as well - how much better for them to be traveling and experiencing different cultures instead of being in a hospital.
I disagree that computer time is the same as class time - the interaction with teachers and fellow students is a large part of the learning process, but a dedicated student can afford to miss a month of that experience if they are diligently keeping up with the work on-line.

Reaction Score
If it's a class that's completely on line, Breanna and Kia aren't missing anything. She'd be doing the same thing if she were sitting in her dorm room in Storrs. Real live in-person classes, that's different. But I'm with Miami--what a great learning experience!

Everything's a trade-off.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Bah humbug. This is a once-in-a-lifetime (well, hopefully not for either one of them, hopefully they make multiple national teams) opportunity, and in the long term missing four weeks of classes is nothing compared to traveling the world and playing basketball at the highest level. They are used to missing classes for games and travel, the school is willing to work with them, and the upside is so great.

Reaction Score
They are indeed "athlete-students", not "UCONN students who decided to go out for basketball." This is what they do. This is their 'real' major at UCONN, and this is what they plan to do for a living after they graduate, and hopefully put a couple $million in the bank before they begin second careers, families, retirement, or whatever, in their early 30's when they're done with hoops. This all may not be true of every scholarship WCBB player (although it is for many of them), but it clearly is with these two, who were selected to be on elite teams of 12 players to represent their countries for the WC.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
They are indeed "athlete-students", not "UCONN students who decided to go out for basketball." This is what they do. This is their 'real' major at UCONN, and this is what they plan to do for a living after they graduate, and hopefully put a couple $million in the bank before they begin second careers, families, retirement, or whatever, in their early 30's when they're done with hoops. This all may not be true of every scholarship WCBB player (although it is for many of them), but it clearly is with these two, who were selected to be on elite teams of 12 players to represent their countries for the WC.

1. a couple $million in the bank? we are talking about the women. Let me know when salaries become comparable with the men, then I will think about suiting up myself. (egads) :p

2. for a career outside of basketball, you should have a degree. And you should know that Geno does not tolerate poor effort in either basketball or in their studies. All kids have stars in their eyes at some point, but at the end of the day there is no doubt that the moniker "student athlete" applies here, especially for UConn, for if the student part isn't getting done, then the athletics ain't either. Just ask Lorin Dixon.

Reaction Score
1. a couple $million in the bank? we are talking about the women. Let me know when salaries become comparable with the men, then I will think about suiting up myself. (egads) :p

2. for a career outside of basketball, you should have a degree. And you should know that Geno does not tolerate poor effort in either basketball or in their studies. All kids have stars in their eyes at some point, but at the end of the day there is no doubt that the moniker "student athlete" applies here, especially for UConn, for if the student part isn't getting done, then the athletics ain't either. Just ask Lorin Dixon.
1. Let's say over a 10-year career, a really good player (but well below the DT/Maya level) could average $100K from WNBA, $100K from endorsements, and $200K from playing overseas. That's $400K/year. If they could manage to live on $250K, then they they would bank $1.5 million over the 10 years, which would be worth at least $2 million at the end of their career with any kind of competent investing at all. The elite players should do a lot better than this with many multiples of that endorsement and overseas money.

2. Agree they should have a degree, and I assume TBS and Nurse will end up with degrees - don't get what the problem is here. ? Just saying basketball comes first (in the real world), including its earning potential.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I sincerely doubt Geno would have been OK with TBS joining the team if she hadn't been able to keep up with her schoolwork. (NOT SAYING HE HAS FINAL SAY) I mean as her college coach.

Reaction Score

Guess you'll be surprised to learn that these ladies are going to UConn because of their basketball program, not their academic program...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1. Let's say over a 10-year career, a really good player (but well below the DT/Maya level) could average $100K from WNBA, $100K from endorsements, and $200K from playing overseas. That's $400K/year. If they could manage to live on $250K, then they they would bank $1.5 million over the 10 years, which would be worth at least $2 million at the end of their career with any kind of competent investing at all. The elite players should do a lot better than this with many multiples of that endorsement and overseas money.

2. Agree they should have a degree, and I assume TBS and Nurse will end up with degrees - don't get what the problem is here. ? Just saying basketball comes first (in the real world), including its earning potential.
Agree with the couple of million, but you have left off agents fees and taxes that will take a bite out of the 400K you are estimating/year - but most of these women do not live rock star lives and are single and get living allowances during their year so surveying on $100K-$150K of current expenses is do-able. I suspect Stewart will be making more money, Kia - that might be about right unless she really shines in college.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

May I see your supporting data for the WNBA $100K per year and endorsements $100K per annum for an average player please? I am troubled by the amounts that you threw out, so I did a little research myself...

I wasn't surprised to find this:

"The WNBA consists of 12 teams with 12-player rosters and a minimum salary of $37,950. The maximum (for players who have played at least six seasons) is $107,000."
LINK

More details here

and this:

"Marketability is important for endorsements and sponsorships. I am shocked a majority of women in the WNBA have not acquired major endorsement deals. Hopefully, agent advocates will begin to initiate this change. We can improve the visibility of our clients and increase the revenue stream for our clients and organizations."

LINK

And this:

WNBA overseas roster for 2013-14
As you can see from last year's list, not all players have overseas contracts and

And finally this:

"...players can add to the average $72,000 WNBA salary by playing overseas, where a typical seven-month contract starts at $40,000. Marquee players can make as much $600,000, including incentives, for one season. With virtually no salary restrictions, two or three players can reach $1 million, including bonuses, Levy said. Lauren Jackson, Parker and Taurasi will make $1 million playing overseas this season (article from 2012)"

LINK

And a final FYI article

Taxes will take a bit of a chunk out of those fees in addition to expenses such as training, health insurance, living expenses including house payments, car payments...I would really wonder just how much these players net in a year, but my guess is that with the exception of the Maya Moores, the Diana Taurasi's and the Candace Parkers to name a few of the few, not many will make what you seem to indicate...although, I bet that they would like to....

Reaction Score
May I see your supporting data for the WNBA $100K per year and endorsements $100K per annum for an average player please? I am troubled by the amounts that you threw out, so I did a little research myself...

I wasn't surprised to find this:

"The WNBA consists of 12 teams with 12-player rosters and a minimum salary of $37,950. The maximum (for players who have played at least six seasons) is $107,000."
LINK

More details here

and this:

"Marketability is important for endorsements and sponsorships. I am shocked a majority of women in the WNBA have not acquired major endorsement deals. Hopefully, agent advocates will begin to initiate this change. We can improve the visibility of our clients and increase the revenue stream for our clients and organizations."

LINK

And this:

WNBA overseas roster for 2013-14
As you can see from last year's list, not all players have overseas contracts and

And finally this:

"...players can add to the average $72,000 WNBA salary by playing overseas, where a typical seven-month contract starts at $40,000. Marquee players can make as much $600,000, including incentives, for one season. With virtually no salary restrictions, two or three players can reach $1 million, including bonuses, Levy said. Lauren Jackson, Parker and Taurasi will make $1 million playing overseas this season (article from 2012)"

LINK

And a final FYI article

Taxes will take a bit of a chunk out of those fees in addition to expenses such as training, health insurance, living expenses including house payments, car payments...I would really wonder just how much these players net in a year, but my guess is that with the exception of the Maya Moores, the Diana Taurasi's and the Candace Parkers to name a few of the few, not many will make what you seem to indicate...although, I bet that they would like to....
I have no supporting data (except I was aware of the WNBA min/max). I said, "Let's just say a really good [not "average"] player makes this..." The thread is about Nurse & Stewie. Putting away that couple million is very realistic for them. But many other UCONN 'basketball majors' also come there with the idea that they want to be developed by the best, to be the best they can possibly be - clearly with a pro career in mind (sorta like Harvard or Yale if their interests were more academic). Now I guess the basketball focus is even to the extent of being home schooled your senior year and skipping HS ball that year so you can get better/more professional hoop training in prep for your UCONN "development.".

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I have no supporting data (except I was aware of the WNBA min/max). I said, "Let's just say a really good [not "average"] player makes this..." The thread is about Nurse & Stewie. Putting away that couple million is very realistic for them. But many other UCONN 'basketball majors' also come there with the idea that they want to be developed by the best, to be the best they can possibly be - clearly with a pro career in mind (sorta like Harvard or Yale if their interests were more academic). Now I guess the basketball focus is even to the extent of being home schooled your senior year and skipping HS ball that year so you can get better/more professional hoop training in prep for your UCONN "development.".

word :rolleyes:

Courtney Ekmark

"she was home-schooled during her senior year so she could meet with business leaders and gain different experiences"

"Ekmark’s home-school year allowed her more time to work on basketball, and since she was just three credits shy of graduating coming into her senior year, she figured she’d learn more outside of a classroom. Instead of going through the motions as a senior, she explored various areas of interest, meeting with some of her father’s business friends, including a lobbyist. She also went on a few trips with her family."

Reaction Score
word :rolleyes:

Courtney Ekmark

"she was home-schooled during her senior year so she could meet with business leaders and gain different experiences"

"Ekmark’s home-school year allowed her more time to work on basketball, and since she was just three credits shy of graduating coming into her senior year, she figured she’d learn more outside of a classroom. Instead of going through the motions as a senior, she explored various areas of interest, meeting with some of her father’s business friends, including a lobbyist. She also went on a few trips with her family."
Don't discount the "...allowed her more time to work on basketball" part (although it appears she is an excellent student).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I didn't, in fact, I made sure to include it. However it wasn't the only point in the article. Your point that she was home schooled to "get better/more professional hoop training in prep for your UCONN "development."" didn't ring quite right from what I could remember when we first heard about her taking the year off, so I looked it up to confirm.

Reaction Score

Most WNBA-level players do not earn nearly this month. Also the GREAT majority of D1 players never play professionally at all.

When you say: "This all may not be true of every scholarship WCBB player (although it is for many of them)", then all credibility disappears. Instead of "many", try "a small percentage". There are over 1000 D1 WCBB graduates every year. Of these, how many go on to any pro career?

Reaction Score
Most WNBA-level players do not earn nearly this month. Also the GREAT majority of D1 players never play professionally at all.

When you say: "This all may not be true of every scholarship WCBB player (although it is for many of them)", then all credibility disappears. Instead of "many", try "a small percentage". There are over 1000 D1 WCBB graduates every year. Of these, how many go on to any pro career?
That's great and I'm glad basketball was able to pay for their education. Many players who end up at elite programs like UCONN's do realistically aspire to play professionally, and choose their college program for that reason. These are the athletes who get most of the discussion on this board. I don't think "athlete-student" is unrealistic in these cases.

Reaction Score
That's great and I'm glad basketball was able to pay for their education. Many players who end up at elite programs like UCONN's do realistically aspire to play professionally, and choose their college program for that reason. These are the athletes who get most of the discussion on this board. I don't think "athlete-student" is unrealistic in these cases.

Agree - but your original post said something entirely different, when you said it was true for "many" of the players - and then used a greatly inflated money figure.

Reaction Score
I have two daughters at Uconn right now. I spent good money to send one to Spain for Study Abroad last year and the other is following her sisters footsteps and will be in Sevilla next semester. Did I encourage them to go for the 'pure academic' possibilities in Spain? Of course not. The greatest education opportunities in life are usually outside of the classroom, even while in college. I could only wish that more students, whether athletes or not, could have the opportunity to travel and experience a different part of the world for a month! The fact that they are working hard to keep up their 'academic learning' is simply a bonus!!

These types of experiences, in my mind, will have a much bigger impact on Kia and Stewie's personal development than their basketball development-and for that reason I am a big fan of their participation!! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Agree - but your original post said something entirely different, [/I][/B]when you said it was true for "many" of the players - and then used a greatly inflated money figure.
I stand by what I said in my original post - that our UCONN players are not, "UCONN students who decided to go out for basketball.... that [basketball] is their 'real' major", and that this is also true of many WCBB scholarship players.

In the follow-up post you referred to I preceded my "greatly inflated money figures" with, "Let's say a really good [WNBA] player makes $........". I do believe this to be the case as well. This has nothing to do with average WNBA salaries or starting overseas contracts.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-2_22-36-24.png

LINK

anyone who is paid beyond the parameters of $95K would have to be an exceptional player with a number of years in the league such as a Diana..and it means that someone else on the team is paid less in order to stay within the parameters of the team salary cap. The large salaries are the exception rather than the rule, and that goes for overseas as well.

*sigh* Hey Kib, do you have that beating a dead horse thingy? I am done here....

Reaction Score
Breana is taking all online classes. I would assume the same for Kia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah but we're talking about Stewart here, not an "average" player. Nurse? Well, don't know how she'll be yet.

With Stewart, that's what we're talking about. As long as she stays healthy, she'll be able to bank a couple mil in her career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom