Starting Five and.... | The Boneyard

Starting Five and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
To start the season...it is a no brainer for the starting five...IMHO Geno will go with his veterans

Aliyah Edwards
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Azzi Fudd
Paige Bueckers

Off the bench - rotation preference:

Front Court

Ice Brady
Ayanna Patterson
Amari DeBerry

Back Court

Nika Muhl
Ines Bettencourt
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Qadence Samuels

2nd team:

Ice Brady (Amari DeBerry)
Ayanna Patterson (Qadence Samuels)
Nika Muhl (Ines Bettencourt)
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade

Reaction Score
To start the season

Paige Bueckers
Azzi Fudd
Nika Muhl
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin

Off the bench at the 4 & 5
Ice Brady
Carol Ducharme
Amari Deberry
Ayanna Patterson

Off the Bench 1,2 & 3
Carol Ducharme
KK Arnold
Ashylnn Shade
Quadence Samuels
Ines Bettencourt

This all depends on who is healthy and if we play a big team Geno might adjust
but we are going to run and gun with the first 5. 93 pts per game average

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
To start the season...it is a no brainer for the starting five...IMHO Geno will go with his veterans

Aliyah Edwards
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Azzi Fudd
Paige Bueckers

Front Court

Ice Brady
Ayanna Patterson
Amari DeBerry

Back Court

Nika Muhl
Ines Bettencourt
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Qadence Samuels

2nd team:

KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
No-brainer? I already have two takers for my pizza bet that Muhl will start. Your no-brainer claim suggests you can’t lose, so please be my third.

Caveats: Injuries to Muhl, Bueckers or Fudd nullifies the bet.

Pizza bet = a shared pizza that the loser pays for. Pizza type chosen by winner but can be negotiated.

Reaction Score
To start the season

Paige Bueckers
Azzi Fudd
Nika Muhl
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin

Off the bench at the 4 & 5
Ice Brady
Carol Ducharme
Amari Deberry
Ayanna Patterson

Off the Bench 1,2 & 3
Carol Ducharme
KK Arnold
Ashylnn Shade
Quadence Samuels
Ines Bettencourt

This all depends on who is healthy and if we play a big team Geno might adjust
but we are going to run and gun with the first 5. 93 pts per game average
You and I think alike. This team will be the goal of all other teams to emulate and try to accomplish what we will accomplish this season. Uconn will be unbeaten in the BE and another title and will finally win No.12 after 7 long years of unprecedented injuries. This roster is one of the strongest Uconn has had since Breanna and co. GO TEAM!!! GOHUSKIES!!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
My argument for Nika coming off the bench, which I know is a hard decision given her record assists last season but, both Azzi and Paige are back...redundancy may not be in UConn's best interest and this isn't about her getting less minutes...she deserves minutes, and she will get them regardless of whether or not she starts. Also with Bueckers and Fudd on the floor assists are not going to be hard to come by. The rub on Muhl has always been on the offensive end and her ability to score.

Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards doesn't give them much size...so, start Caroline 6'2" and Aubrey 6'1" and you have 6'3", 6'2", 6'1", 6'0" and 5'11"...if you sit Caroline you end up with 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'11", 5'11". And, that is if you can trust the declared heights of the players. Caroline was a starter before Nika and she was clutch when Paige went down in her sophomore year. The team is just better with Caroline on the floor.

We do have height coming off the bench but, unfortunately Amari 6'6" has yet to prove herself; Ice Brady 6'3" is essentially playing her freshman year after sitting out her entire true freshman year. Ayanna Patterson 6'2"...had an educational outing in her freshman year and it would be great to see her make the sophomore jump...but we shall see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't see it as a no-brainer at all.

Certain starters, if healthy: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah (they could all be top-10 in the nation)

Almost certain starter: Nika

Probable starter: Aubrey, or Ice if Geno wants a taller lineup.

Early off the bench: Depends on the position and whether someone is in foul trouble--Aubrey/Ice, Caroline, Ayanna, KK. Jana was in this group before her injury.

Reaction Score
You dont sit the defensive player of the year (two years in a row) not to mention all time assist leader for the Huskies. With Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah and Aubrey on the floor you have plenty of fire power ( not to mention Nika aint so bad herself when she feels the urge) but the Huskies start with defense and turn that into offense.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It is almost like Ducharme is the Rodney Dangerfield of the team...are we forgetting what she did during her freshmen year when Paige went down...she basically put the team on her back. Do we forget her performance when she came back from injury...she is a solid defender, gives us size, she is a scorer and she is the player that Azzi and Bueckers have said that they feel comfortable with the ball in her hand when the game is on the line. I am not discounting Nika as a point guard and her ability to play the point when Bueckers isn't on the floor...but, quite frankly with Bueckers at the point...I don't see Nika filling in as a starter at the 2 that goes to Azzi.. She isn't going to be effective at the 3, the 4 or the 5. If Geno wants to play small ball then I can see her on the floor with Azzi and Bueckers. There will be times when Geno will go small...but, I think his best overall starting five right now is with Caroline and Aubrey in the starting line-up. I know many here disagree and I am not trying to stir anything up...it is just my opinion and in about 3 months we will all know for sure....

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
If I were preparing my team to play UConn, who would I be expecting to be going against my team?

Paige
Aziz
Nika
Aaliyah
Aubrey

Five games into the season it could be very different. Depending on what's happening with the other team members.

This year I'm expecting the "team" to play different with Paige on the floor, in that I don't think they will be waiting for Paige to do everything any longer.

I only know one thing for sure. . . I'm waiting with great expectations. Kind of just like every year. :)

Reaction Score

Aliyah Edwards
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Azzi Fudd
Paige Bueckers

Front Court

Ice Brady
Ayanna Patterson
Amari DeBerry

Back Court

Nika Muhl
Ines Bettencourt
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Qadence Samuels

2nd team:

KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
That may be the starting lineup early in the season, but I predict Ice Brady to become a starter by mid-season along with PB, A, AA and CD or AG.........frankly, I think that AG and NM would serve the team better off the bench as they bring a heightened level of intensity that the team may need........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No-brainer? I already have two takers for my pizza bet that Muhl will start. Your no-brainer claim suggests you can’t lose, so please be my third.

Caveats: Injuries to Muhl, Bueckers or Fudd nullifies the bet.

Pizza bet = a shared pizza that the loser pays for. Pizza type chosen by winner but can be negotiated.
OK......here we go. :D I've already posted my starting 5. I'm staying out of this debate. I'll read every post in this thread to try and keep up though. I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow boneyarders. I've posted several times recently that Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are the only locks!!! No one on the team can/will start in front of them. I suggested that there are 4 other players besides these 3 that Geno could very well promote to starters. :cool: Nothing has changed my take on this.

We're a tight-knit group on most things, but not on who the starting 5 will be this far out. I see a group of 7 players Geno can choose his starters from.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That may be the starting lineup early in the season, but I predict Ice Brady to become a starter by mid-season along with PB, A, AA and CD or AG.........frankly, I think that AG and NM would serve the team better off the bench as they bring a heightened level of intensity that the team may need........
I have a similar perspective. I'm in agreement that Paige, Azzi, and AE are all cemented starters. Outside of that, I think there are good arguments to be made for a lot of variations. I think ICE will actually start because if you need to, you can bring in more size (Amari, Ayana) or you could go small ball (Caroline/Aubrey/Nika). If he starts one of those 3 instead of ICE then AE has to play the 5 and then, assuming one of the others is the 5th starter, it only leaves one of them to come in off the bench (just ignoring freshman for now, although to be fair they could definitely fit in here). I dunno, it just feels like there's a little bit more balance that way.

At this point, I'm just excited to see any of those women on the court!!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In Aubrey and Nika, Geno has two of the best defenders in the country.

I suspect that with the depth he has that he will want to press a lot on defense right off of the bat.

In the games that really matter he will need to shut down one or more stars on the other team to prevent us from getting down early and not simply try to match baskets. He is not going to have Nika come off the bench all year and then start her against Iowa.

Nika and Aubrey are capable scorers but with Azzi, Paige and Aaliyah on the floor, offense will not be a problem. Plus Nika is a great facilitator on offense, things work better when she is out there, and Aubrey made great strides in fitting into the offensive flow last season.

So Nika and Aubrey start.

Caroline if healthy will see a lot a minutes. Ice as well. After that it is a crap shoot but I am confident at least two of them will emerge and I suspect one of them is Ashlynn.

Reaction Score
My argument for Nika coming off the bench, which I know is a hard decision given her record assists last season but, both Azzi and Paige are back...redundancy may not be in UConn's best interest and this isn't about her getting less minutes...she deserves minutes, and she will get them regardless of whether or not she starts. Also with Bueckers and Fudd on the floor assists are not going to be hard to come by. The rub on Muhl has always been on the offensive end and her ability to score.

Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards doesn't give them much size...so, start Caroline 6'2" and Aubrey 6'1" and you have 6'3", 6'2", 6'1", 6'0" and 5'11"...if you sit Caroline you end up with 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'11", 5'11". And, that is if you can trust the declared heights of the players. Caroline was a starter before Nika and she was clutch when Paige went down in her sophomore year. The team is just better with Caroline on the floor.

We do have height coming off the bench but, unfortunately Amari 6'6" has yet to prove herself; Ice Brady 6'3" is essentially playing her freshman year after sitting out her entire true freshman year. Ayanna Patterson 6'2"...had an educational outing in her freshman year and it would be great to see her make the sophomore jump...but we shall see.

I completely agree, especially against teams it’s bigger font courts (though Aubrey is pretty great at guarding bigger Forwards). If Ice is as good as advertised, I’d even substitute her for Caroline. In general, I’m a fan of traditional 1-2-3-4-5 lineups.

That being said, I’m expecting another great season from our leader, Nika.

Reaction Score
#1 Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Ice!
#2 Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Aaliyah!
#3 Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Ice!
#4 Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubre, Aaliyah!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Aliyah Edwards
Caroline Ducharme
Aubrey Griffin
Azzi Fudd
Paige Bueckers

Front Court

Ice Brady
Ayanna Patterson
Amari DeBerry

Back Court

Nika Muhl
Ines Bettencourt
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Qadence Samuels

2nd team:

KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Most veteran players he has are Muhl and Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom