Starting 5 this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 this year?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many guys we have to throw out there at this point. Hopefully some of them work out. A few months ago I was worried about fielding a team.

C

Chief00

You know what's the best thing about this thread? Despite the pessimism I witnessed on the 'yard over the summer, there are a lot of options and a lot of potential contributors. Adams and Larrier will start. The rest can go lots of different ways, and will depend on how things go in practices.
  • I wrote long ago that I like Polley's game a lot, and think he can be a long 3 spelling Larrier, or a stretch 4 opening up the lane. He'll get run as both.
  • Carlton can play the 5, or can play 4 if Cobb is on the floor against teams where we need more inside strength.
  • If we want more quickness at the 4-5 it might be Diarra and Carlton. Or Onourah and Diarra. Or Onourah and Carlton. Or Larrier and one of the above. Or Polley and one of the above. It won't be Cobb.
  • Williams is a wildcard, and I mean that literally. He could contribute at lots of positions, but will need a bit of discipline in his game if he wants to see the floor.
  • If Whaley plays a lot it'll be because he earned it in practice.
  • Vital, Gilbert and Anderson are a very solid guard group to go with Adams. We'll play three guards at times, when matchups allow, and in finishing games. We'll want more length most of the time, and our wings are athletic enough to get out on the break.
Gilbert is in the same category as Adams and Larrier.

After the Big 3 - Cobb and Vitale are most likely. Anderson is the next day 1 ready guy.

Williams is truly a wild card of potential, who right now thinks Chief is the least fun guy in the World after the lecture about other priorities besides dunking. LOL

I can see Carlton building the coaches confidence due to his skill set /composure being further advanced than the other Freshmen.

The guy from Cornell will be needed once the PK starts.

Polley may turn into a very nice player but not a day 1 guy, I think.

Why do I keep forgetting to mention Diarra, when he does the things Coach KO loves?

Last edited by a moderator:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I believe Michael Bradley was the last uninjured player we resuscitated. 2012

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think Cobb starts with the big three and Momma
Vital will be quickly off the bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People think onuorah will start because Cobb has to prove he can run for more than 5 minutes, and Carlton is a freshman. He'll probably start by default.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
People think onuorah will start because Cobb has to prove he can run for more than 5 minutes, and Carlton is a freshman. He'll probably start by default.

I don't think he's quite in McBride territory.

C

Chief00

The two best rebounders may be Diarra and Williams. Cobb and Cornell Dave though have more size and beef and that counts for a lot in the overall defensive post and pick and roll game. Carlton is perhaps the best post scorer.
How KO leverages each guy’s strength while not exposing his liabilities will be key - depending on who you are playing with - you will be called to do different things.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gilbert is in the same category as Adams and Larrier.

After the Big 3 - Cobb and Vitale are most likely. Anderson is the next day 1 ready guy.

Williams is truly a wild card of potential, who right now thinks Chief is the least fun guy in the World after the lecture about other priorities besides dunking. LOL

I can see Carlton building the coaches confidence due to his skill set /composure being further advanced than the other Freshmen.

The guy from Cornell will be needed once the PK starts.

Polley may turn into a very nice player but not a day 1 guy, I think.

Why do I keep forgetting to mention Diarra, when he does the things Coach KO loves?

The world must be coming to an end. I pretty much agree with Chief.

Cobb
Diarra
Larrier
Adams
Gilbert

Next Up: Vital, Anderson, and probably Carlton. Onuorah should see situational minutes against big teams or if we have foul trouble.

C

Chief00

Cobb
Diarra
Larrier
Adams
Gilbert

Next Up: Vital, Anderson, and probably Carlton. Onuorah should see situational minutes against big teams or if we have foul trouble.
LOL - All that coaching up is now paying dividends. As Moses Malone would say “Me learned em too much”.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

Cobb
Diarra
Larrier
Adams
Gilbert

Props to Chief? C'mon man!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There might not be enough shooting in a lineup without vital. Someone needs to be a floor spacer, which jalen rique and Larrier aren't naturals at. I hope we go small this year, a good team can't afford a black hole at two positions, we saw how bad it was with one last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We have no idea which of the newcomers will step up and earn a starting spot. Just look at this thread from last summer:

Who's the bigger key to our success this year: Facey or Vital?

People were saying Vital would be a non-factor and would sit 98% of the time.
Those statements were made before the injuries to Larrier and Gilbert. But the premise that people can't absolutely know things before things play out is on point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL - All that coaching up is now paying dividends. As Moses Malone would say “Me learned em too much”.

There's no coaching up from a casual fan like you. I come to my own conclusions.

C

Chief00

There's no coaching up from a casual fan like you. I come to my own conclusions.
As long as you got to the right place, I agree it doesn’t matter how you got there.

C

Chief00

There might not be enough shooting in a lineup without vital. Someone needs to be a floor spacer, which jalen rique and Larrier aren't naturals at. I hope we go small this year, a good team can't afford a black hole at two positions, we saw how bad it was with one last year.

Agree Vital will get tons of minutes on this team cuz he can shoot and has a BBIQ. Plus, he’s a tough dude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom