Stanford grad transfer DiJonai Carrington tells why she chose to sign with Baylor | The Boneyard

Stanford grad transfer DiJonai Carrington tells why she chose to sign with Baylor

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
New Baylor WBB grad transfer DiJonai Carrington discusses her decision to play her final year in Waco in this 10:39 minute audio interview.

Comment from a Baylor fan: "One of the best interviews I have ever heard from a Baylor recruit. Mature. Educated. Unselfish. Give me one of these graduate transfers every single year. What a bright person!"

In other news...................Dara Mabrey transfers to Notre Dame. This move completes the Irish Mabrey lineage.

IVEY announces her coaching staff for 20-21.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, she went to Baylor for one reason and one reason ONLY, available playing time. This is her final year and the kid wants to play, she was not going to get the minutes she wanted at UConn, I totally get it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, she went to Baylor for one reason and one reason ONLY, available playing time. This is her final year and the kid wants to play, she was not going to get the minutes she wanted at UConn, I totally get it.

Nah I dont think it's that simple....otherwise she'd go to Oregon who graduated 4 starters. Or stay at Stanford. She also would get big minutes at UCONN if healthy and was playing in 2018-19 form where she averaged 14 points and 7+ boards for a top 10 team. She would be very much in the mix with Makurat, Williams and Westbrook.

Reaction Score
sounds like the religious/cultural aspects at Baylor were attractive to her and to her parents.............

Reaction Score
Nah I dont think it's that simple....otherwise she'd go to Oregon who graduated 4 starters. Or stay at Stanford. She also would get big minutes at UCONN if healthy and was playing in 2018-19 form where she averaged 14 points and 7+ boards for a top 10 team. She would be very much in the mix with Makurat, Williams and Westbrook.

In the mix is not a guaranteed starter.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Right but she'd still be a major contributor and log big minutes, which is what you said was her sole reason for choosing Baylor.

And regardless, she'd make a big push for a starting spot at UCONN if she's in her 2019 form. She's a stud. I suggest you watch some highlights of hers from 2018-19 or check out her numbers. Put up 30 against UCLA, 22 vs Oregon in Pac-12 title game, 18 against Notre Dame, etc. Any school she chose she would be commanding big minutes if healthy.

Reaction Score
Right but she'd still be a major contributor and log big minutes, which is what you said was her sole reason for choosing Baylor.

And regardless, she'd make a big push for a starting spot at UCONN if she's in her 2019 form. She's a stud. I suggest you watch some highlights of hers from 2018-19 or check out her numbers. Put up 30 against UCLA, 22 vs Oregon in Pac-12 title game, 18 against Notre Dame, etc. Any school she chose she would be commanding big minutes if healthy.

I have seen her play her multiple times, good rebounder, great penetrator that can finish at the rim, but an abysmal shooter. I just don't see her getting much more than 15 mpg at UConn, while competing with Williams, Makurat, and Westbrook at the 2.

Reaction Score
I don't think many programs would have said no including UConn although other programs probably had a greater need for her services. She likely chose the situation where she could maximize playing time and also felt the most comfortable.

Reaction Score
By "cultural aspects" are you referring to the homophobia and tolerance for unpunished sexual assaults committed by athletes?

for such a bright and aware individual I was very surprised she chose Baylor..............moving from Palo Alto to Waco would seem like culture shock to me but after listening to her comments, religion apparently plays a very important part of her life and that of her family..............she appeared to appreciate the school's winning tradition and the seemingly strong relationships among teammates................the things you mentioned appear to be far away memories for Baylor fans.....

Reaction Score
By "cultural aspects" are you referring to the homophobia and tolerance for unpunished sexual assaults committed by athletes?
I’ll admit that some people were very homophobic but most people in Waco and Baylor were very genuine and good people. Me being LGBT I chose to go to Baylor because of the family and faith atmosphere. There are lots of great people at Baylor and Waco even though there are some bad apples

Reaction Score

I wanted her for UCONN, and I think you and I even had an argument about it. But I'm with you in regards to any assumption that Carrington would have been "assured big minutes if healthy." I realize she played for a top ten team, but UCONN was a top 5 team without her.

Unless she can play PF - UCONN has Paige, CWill and Evina as a tough 3 to break (even if Paige doesn't start). These 3 payaers combined will see about 84+ minutes and at the very, very, very, very worst Anna will see 15 -- at the very, very, very, very, very worst if Carrington would beat her out. - Unless ofc Carrington shows she can be an efficient shooter otherwise Anna is unique vs Carrington. And it's nowhere near locked in that Carrington is better than AM this upcoming year. And Geno does value shooting -- a big time strength of AM. Which makes her potentially a big time player.

That's 99 minutes (PB, CW, EW and AM) from 1-3 spots excluding small minutes from Muhl and Mir. In addition, Mir will probably get a few minutes at PF during blowouts. A 5th year sr like Carrington isn't going to transfer to a school so she can get "blowout minutes."

So where's the assuredness that Carrington is going to get "big" minutes from a team that was already 5th as they bring in Paige and Evina?

Reaction Score
I’ll admit that some people were very homophobic but most people in Waco and Baylor were very genuine and good people. Me being LGBT I chose to go to Baylor because of the family and faith atmosphere. There are lots of great people at Baylor and Waco even though there are some bad apples

Did you play?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I wanted her for UCONN, and I think you and I even had an argument about it. But I'm with you in regards to any assumption that Carrington would have been "assured big minutes if healthy." I realize she played for a top ten team, but UCONN was a top 5 team without her.

Unless she can play PF - UCONN has Paige, CWill and Evina as a tough 3 to break (even if Paige doesn't start). These 3 payaers combined will see about 84+ minutes and at the very, very, very, very worst Anna will see 15 -- at the very, very, very, very, very worst if Carrington would beat her out. - Unless ofc Carrington shows she can be an efficient shooter otherwise Anna is unique vs Carrington. And it's nowhere near locked in that Carrington is better than AM this upcoming year. And Geno does value shooting -- a big time strength of AM. Which makes her potentially a big time player.

That's 99 minutes (PB, CW, EW and AM) from 1-3 spots excluding small minutes from Muhl and Mir. In addition, Mir will probably get a few minutes at PF during blowouts. A 5th year sr like Carrington isn't going to transfer to a school so she can get "blowout minutes."

So where's the assuredness that Carrington is going to get "big" minutes from a team that was already 5th as they bring in Paige and Evina?

Carrington was the 2nd leading scorer for the #7 team in the country in 2018-19. She had an overall better season than Westbrook at Tennessee in 2019 and a better year than Christyn Williams did this past season, particularly if you look at how all 3 performed against quality competition. If DJC can play at that same high level, she would've earned ample minutes at UCONN this upcoming season.

Geno isn't shy to play small ball either, so that group of players wouldn't be competing for just 3 spots on the court, it is likely that 4 of the 5 would play on the court together in a 4 out, 1 in offense since it would suit the team's strengths better. Even without DJC, the roster makeup still trends toward a 4 out 1 in offense unless Griffin makes huge strides and locks down a starting spot.

Given the current roster, Makurat absolutely starts next year. She started the last half of the season, averaging 26 mpg and is the best passer and decision maker coming back. One of PB/EW is more likely coming off the bench, not Anna. She, Williams and ONO are the only players who appear to have starting spots locked in IMO. PB has a lot of hype but hasn't played a minute of college basketball yet, and EW appears to be a strong candidate to start but again, I don't think it's a lock if Griffin makes big strides and gets the 4 spot and PB is as good as advertised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom