Staff Recruiting for 2022 & 2023 | The Boneyard

Staff Recruiting for 2022 & 2023

Reaction Score
Lots of class discussion in threads of individual recruits that really needs its own thread.

In my mind, 2022 Karaban, Clingan, Hasson, Roumoglou is A+ especially since they all can be multi yr players. Hasson looks to have real size next to Clingan and his clips show a ton of skill. I don't view the foreign guys as just throw ins. Floor time not expected right away, but based on clips I love their skills. Karaban is my man, & Clingan gives us a matchup to the biggest guys out there like Dickinson, Edey, etc and can be overwhelming to many teams.

2022 portal additions, A+. Newton, Alleyne, Diarra, Calcaterra, totally restocked backcourt positions of need with quality proven contributors that make foul shots and can shoot threes. All are so capable that good arguments can be made for any of them to be important. Incredible to me that the staff could reel in Calcaterra as a 4th addition for his Covid yr to compete with other guys expecting big minutes.

2023 recruiting class: A. Castle, Ball, Ross, Stewart, Singare. Love Castle but he slightly brings down my class rating to less than A+ because of Castle's desire to be 1 and done at the key position of the team. I think he will be good enough to leave. If we can get him good NIL money to stay for at least a second year then A+. Love Singare, Love Stewart, Want to Love Ball but never see him play well, I Like Ross but I think it will be a tough road for him to be better than the guys he will be competing with. Again, the staff amazes me that they can bring in a guy like Stewart with so much competition for minutes at the 3/4. Really great job.

I was part of the 'sky is falling' group losing Akok, Diggins, Floyd, etc. Hard to remember those feelings now. I had my wish list of the northeast kids and was disappointed my original targets vanished, but for me, Singare and Stewart check those boxes just fine. Griffith is my only regret, and you can't always get everything. I'll see Ball at Brewster and smile.

We're thrilled with our #3 class. Brewster has #38 Ball, #51 Estrella, #54 Bowen, #90 Carey Booth, #97 Reid Ducharme, #122 Aaron Clarke. Another service has Bowen #27, Estrella #38, Ball #47, Ducharme #79, Booth #80, Clark #91 !! FYI Castle #24, Ball #47, Stewart is #59 , Ross #106, Singare NR on that list of top 150.

Now lets coach a great game, spread minutes around, ride the hot hands game to game and line up Pettiford to take the reins of an experienced team when Castle leaves..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's hope our brothers give us a good season and our new brothers give us a good 2023 season. Go UConn

Reaction Score
Lots of class discussion in threads of individual recruits that really needs its own thread.

In my mind, 2022 Karaban, Clingan, Hasson, Roumoglou is A+ especially since they all can be multi yr players. Hasson looks to have real size next to Clingan and his clips show a ton of skill. I don't view the foreign guys as just throw ins. Floor time not expected right away, but based on clips I love their skills. Karaban is my man, & Clingan gives us a matchup to the biggest guys out there like Dickinson, Edey, etc and can be overwhelming to many teams.

2022 portal additions, A+. Newton, Alleyne, Diarra, Calcaterra, totally restocked backcourt positions of need with quality proven contributors that make foul shots and can shoot threes. All are so capable that good arguments can be made for any of them to be important. Incredible to me that the staff could reel in Calcaterra as a 4th addition for his Covid yr to compete with other guys expecting big minutes.

2023 recruiting class: A. Castle, Ball, Ross, Stewart, Singare. Love Castle but he slightly brings down my class rating to less than A+ because of Castle's desire to be 1 and done at the key position of the team. I think he will be good enough to leave. If we can get him good NIL money to stay for at least a second year then A+. Love Singare, Love Stewart, Want to Love Ball but never see him play well, I Like Ross but I think it will be a tough road for him to be better than the guys he will be competing with. Again, the staff amazes me that they can bring in a guy like Stewart with so much competition for minutes at the 3/4. Really great job.

I was part of the 'sky is falling' group losing Akok, Diggins, Floyd, etc. Hard to remember those feelings now. I had my wish list of the northeast kids and was disappointed my original targets vanished, but for me, Singare and Stewart check those boxes just fine. Griffith is my only regret, and you can't always get everything. I'll see Ball at Brewster and smile.

We're thrilled with our #3 class. Brewster has #38 Ball, #51 Estrella, #54 Bowen, #90 Carey Booth, #97 Reid Ducharme, #122 Aaron Clarke. Another service has Bowen #27, Estrella #38, Ball #47, Ducharme #79, Booth #80, Clark #91 !! FYI Castle #24, Ball #47, Stewart is #59 , Ross #106, Singare NR on that list of top 150.

Now lets coach a great game, spread minutes around, ride the hot hands game to game and line up Pettiford to take the reins of an experienced team when Castle leaves..
Agree w/your overview.. Finally have a lot of roster flexibility and high ceiling athletes here and on the way ('23)..International kids could really surprise folks. DH has the opportunity to significantly improve his Tournament resume with 22/23 rosters.. Time to execute on the opportunity.

Reaction Score

I get what you are saying on Castle and the anxiety that he could be a solid contributor for one year and then leave but it is important to have a one and done to get our program back on footing for future 5 stars. I know it would suck for him to come in and leave but I think we need to eat it on one of these guys to regrow the pipeline. I truly believe the path to future NCs will revolve around deep classes with 4 stars who stick around to be upper classmen combined with an impact transfer and a 5 star freshman. This class to me is perfect for getting back to that. Imagine junior year ball/stewart/singare/ross with a one and done freshman at the wing

Also if he is a one and done that means he was awesome and we are probably competitive nationally next year. Theoretically in a world where he is a one and done that would mean we had draft picks 4 years in a row which would be an accomplishment and a strong signal to future recruits that we are back

Reaction Score

FWIW I don't think Castle is going to be one and done. I think lack of eye-popping athleticism and scoring ability is going to make him a 2 year player.

Kid is a worker though... I wouldn't put it past him to come back his senior year looking like an elite scorer.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying on Castle and the anxiety that he could be a solid contributor for one year and then leave but it is important to have a one and done to get our program back on footing for future 5 stars. I know it would suck for him to come in and leave but I think we need to eat it on one of these guys to regrow the pipeline. I truly believe the path to future NCs will revolve around deep classes with 4 stars who stick around to be upper classmen combined with an impact transfer and a 5 star freshman. This class to me is perfect for getting back to that. Imagine junior year ball/stewart/singare/ross with a one and done freshman at the wing

Also if he is a one and done that means he was awesome and we are probably competitive nationally next year. Theoretically in a world where he is a one and done that would mean we had draft picks 4 years in a row which would be an accomplishment and a strong signal to future recruits that we are back
Well said

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d reserve A+ grades for landing truly elite talents, but I understand people won’t do that. My personal grade scale would probably be:

2022 recruits: B

Landed the most important recruit, I’m of the opinion Michigan was a serious threat. Karaban seems like a really nice piece, but we should land local guys in the 50-100 range. The Euro guys seem like nice bench fillers, one of them hitting means we have a shooter with size for 3 years, which are hard to find.

2022 Transfers: A-

Newton is a stud, Alleyne is solid, and Joey/Diarra should be solid depth. An A+ in this category would be landing a top 5 transfer in the country.

2023 recruits: A

Missing on Gavin/Edwards stings, but they knocked it out of the park in recovery. Once again I’d reserve an A+ grade for landing a top talent in the class. 3 top 100 kids in a class should be the expectation, which they met easily. I’m not worried about Castle leaving, he’s only leaving if he proves he’s ready. I’m going to be really interested in Balls role/production at Brewster this year, if he stands out among all the talent on that roster, he could end up top 40. We all love Stewart, can’t wait to see him after working with the training staff. I’ve never said this about a non 5 star before, but he has sneaky one and done potential. Gives me Jalen Williams vibes. Ross and Singare are wild cards, but you could do worse in taking shots on talent. Singare in particular is probably about the talent level you can expect to recruit with 3 former top 75 6’10+ players potentially on the roster still.

2023 transfers: F-

Well this is obvious, seems like the staff is slacking. I kid, I kid.

Reaction Score
I’d reserve A+ grades for landing truly elite talents, but I understand people won’t do that. My personal grade scale would probably be:

Landed the most important recruit, I’m of the opinion Michigan was a serious threat. Karaban seems like a really nice piece, but we should land local guys in the 50-100 range. The Euro guys seem like nice bench fillers, one of them hitting means we have a shooter with size for 3 years, which are hard to find.

Newton is a stud, Alleyne is solid, and Joey/Diarra should be solid depth. An A+ in this category would be landing a top 5 transfer in the country.

Missing on Gavin/Edwards stings, but they knocked it out of the park in recovery. Once again I’d reserve an A+ grade for landing a top talent in the class. 3 top 100 kids in a class should be the expectation, which they met easily. I’m not worried about Castle leaving, he’s only leaving if he proves he’s ready. I’m going to be really interested in Balls role/production at Brewster this year, if he stands out among all the talent on that roster, he could end up top 40. We all love Stewart, can’t wait to see him after working with the training staff. I’ve never said this about a non 5 star before, but he has sneaky one and done potential. Gives me Jalen Williams vibes. Ross and Singare are wild cards, but you could do worse in taking shots on talent. Singare in particular is probably about the talent level you can expect to recruit with 3 former top 75 6’10+ players potentially on the roster still.

Solomon Ball is already 38th on 247 and 41 in the composite.

Reaction Score
Solomon Ball is already 38th on 247 and 41 in the composite.

If he was just a little more consistent he's going to be a 5* player. I think he's one of these 30-point outbursts vs a couple of big-time opponents Brewster plays to be a 5*.

I would really like to see him shoot the ball better and develop his ball control this year. Really excited to see him at Brewster... fantastic developmental program.

Reaction Score
I can understand lower grading of classes based on not being 5 star guys across the board. Thats a fair take. My rating is subjective based upon whether I think we have recruited players that bring something to the team that can help win a championship. I think each of the recruit groupings has those kinds of players, without regard to stars or rankings. A+ is more my level of satisfaction rather than player perfection.

In my case the A+ for 2022 is because in the 2022 class I wanted Clingan & Karaban more than any other players out there, bar none, and we got them both. They are likely to have full college careers and are good enough to be the frontcourt foundation of a championship team as they mature IMO. Especially with complementary athletes like Johnson and Singare. I also loved Matis Bazulis for 2023, and I see the potential for the same 6'10 skilled player in Hasson. I'm projecting that comparison totally on the eye test without any 'proof'.

Upshot is that I'm thrilled with this talent and think it is enough to compete with anybody. Its tough to win a championship, but we're in the hunt and plenty of teams won't want us in their bracket.

Reaction Score

I get where you're coming from, but if a top 3 class nationally isn't an A+ I'm not really sure what could possibly be an A+ class for UConn

Reaction Score
FWIW I don't think Castle is going to be one and done. I think lack of eye-popping athleticism and scoring ability is going to make him a 2 year player.

Kid is a worker though... I wouldn't put it past him to come back his senior year looking like an elite scorer.
The other thing to consider with ‘23 kids is the elite ‘24 players will (likely) be able to head right to the NBA again. Between the elite ‘23 freshman and handful of high schoolers that could be first round picks that 2024 NBA draft, it may mean a guy like Castle is more likely to come back for a second year to improve his draft stock/be in a less crowded draft.

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, but if a top 3 class nationally isn't an A+ I'm not really sure what could possibly be an A+ class for UConn

Our class baed on the historical #s will probably end up in the 5-10 range overall, assuming our guys don't make any big jumps up and down in the rankings. Does that make any difference?

Personally, I give the class an A+. A #5 vs a #30 recruit doesn't make much difference to me.

Reaction Score
Our class baed on the historical #s will probably end up in the 5-10 range overall, assuming our guys don't make any big jumps up and down in the rankings. Does that make any difference?

Personally, I give the class an A+. A #5 vs a #30 recruit doesn't make much difference to me.
Yeah that's fair, I do think we'll still end up top 5 with a jump for Stewart and Singare actually being ranked (although I suppose that's not a given).

To me I think that's still an A+, hard to imagine a much better class coming together. Maybe an argument that getting Stewart instead of Edwards moves it down to an A, although I wouldn't agree. I picture this class as an A+ and something like 2021 with Hawkins/Samson/Diggins as an A (without the benefit of hindsight on Diggins)

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Yes, I know. I'm trying to figure out how he sees the same potential in Yarin Hasson as he does in Matas Buzelis.
Same overall game style I guess. Obviously Matas has lottery pick skill/potential right now which Hasson does not. Matas also has a much tighter handle/overall better skill set but their games are a similar type.

Reaction Score
Also put my hand up as in the sky is falling group 6 months ago with the transfers out and “‘misses” on initial names in 2023 class. Staff killed it and found awesome talent to bring in, really impressive. Still have some questions with the roster this year (not saying we’ll be bad, just some unknowns). Let’s get a win or two in March and we’re back on track.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders can make their own judgement if my statement of potential is outlandish. I'm not projecting, just saying our 12th man development piece looks like Buzelis in 2021 before he developed.

Here are video clips of Buzelis posted this Aug and Hasson in January. Buzelis traveled up the ranking charts to the #5 to #7 range and has a polished 3 level game and handles the ball. I believe Hasson has the same size and body style and the capability to drive and shoot at all 3 levels but with less polish and authority. When I watched Buzelis in 2021, his game wasn't polished and looked exactly like Hasson's in these clips. I happened to have set aside the box score of a July 14, 2021 Peach Jam game that I watched between Mac Irvin Fire with Buzelis playing 24 min, and Expressions Elite with Bowen & Griffiths each playing 28 min. Buzelis was 2-7, 0-3 from 3, 1 total RB, 0 Blocks, while his defensive assignment, Bowen, had 9 RB and shot 9-11. You could tell he had skills but he was not far ahead of what Hasson shows in his clips. Buzelis improved all year to what you see now. I am making the heroic and unprovable assumption that Hasson can do it too. I'll end it there and leave it to each person to decide for themselves. I certainly don't know if it will happen but I don't see why it is impossible or improbable. (click on the link for Hasson)

Most versatile young player in Israel 6'9 Yarin Hasson

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yeah that's fair, I do think we'll still end up top 5 with a jump for Stewart and Singare actually being ranked (although I suppose that's not a given).

To me I think that's still an A+, hard to imagine a much better class coming together. Maybe an argument that getting Stewart instead of Edwards moves it down to an A, although I wouldn't agree. I picture this class as an A+ and something like 2021 with Hawkins/Samson/Diggins as an A (without the benefit of hindsight on Diggins)
I guess my thing is I’d like to distinguish how happy I’d be with Edwards over Stewart. Stewart is great, but getting a top 3 player in the class should move the class grade up a notch imo, which you can’t do if it’s already an A+. But we’re splitting hairs anyways, cause this class is still fantastic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Boneyarders can make their own judgement if my statement of potential is outlandish. I'm not projecting, just saying our 12th man development piece looks like Buzelis in 2021 before he developed.

Here are video clips of Buzelis posted this Aug and Hasson in January. Buzelis traveled up the ranking charts to the #5 to #7 range and has a polished 3 level game and handles the ball. I believe Hasson has the same size and body style and the capability to drive and shoot at all 3 levels but with less polish and authority. When I watched Buzelis in 2021, his game wasn't polished and looked exactly like Hasson's in these clips. I happened to have set aside the box score of a July 14, 2021 Peach Jam game that I watched between Mac Irvin Fire with Buzelis playing 24 min, and Expressions Elite with Bowen & Griffiths each playing 28 min. Buzelis was 2-7, 0-3 from 3, 1 total RB, 0 Blocks, while his defensive assignment, Bowen, had 9 RB and shot 9-11. You could tell he had skills but he was not far ahead of what Hasson shows in his clips. Buzelis improved all year to what you see now. I am making the heroic and unprovable assumption that Hasson can do it too. I'll end it there and leave it to each person to decide for themselves. I certainly don't know if it will happen but I don't see why it is impossible or improbable. (click on the link for Hasson)

Most versatile young player in Israel 6'9 Yarin Hasson

You just have to imagine if Yarin was this level of talent, he wouldn’t be latching onto the butt of our roster as a last second addition. Doesn’t mean he won’t develop into something, but Buzelis would be a rotation guy for us immediately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom