St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good grief we are not going to have a rivalry with St John’s or Seton Hall or any other 1957 wannabe.
"1957 wannabe"?
Your self-owning is much better than anything I can do. I bow down to you.
I didn't need a fancy chart to tell me that Castle, Spencer, and Newton won us this game lol
It's still a nice chart though, isn't it?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Accomplishment doesn't mean better team. Perhaps the January swoon was partially attributed to the coaching staff not changing AJ's offense quicker.

My reservation with this team is the ability to have a reliable center like Adama who can avoid foul trouble and who can make FT's at a high percentage. Donovan's ceiling is literally and figuratively higher than Adama's as he has shown against Xavier. But it will be necessary for him to do it with more consistency.
With Stephon’s development the team has very few weaknesses. They can win any game without Donovan scoring but against the best teams we need him on the court for 25 minutes. He has to figure out a way to make that happen. Our defense is literally in another league when he is in the game. And that will be a difference maker in a game against a quality opponent.

Reaction Score
"1957 wannabe"?
Your self-owning is much better than anything I can do. I bow down to you.

It's still a nice chart though, isn't it?
Sorry, 1956. That’s when Lapchick returned to St John’s and brought them back to a power again.

Did you know there was college basketball played before 2014? Bet that’s news to you.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
And then there's the 4 n 5!!!
Yeah easy to forget AK so certainly 1,2,3,4,and 5 is still working on getting there again. Please Donovan give us 25 minutes a game and we are very difficult to beat with you on the floor for that many minutes per game. Just figure out a way to stay on floor for 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I record all new games and since I was distracted yesterday during the second half I just watched the entire second half. They are indeed tough tenacious and play as a team. Good stuff.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sorry, 1956. That’s when Lapchick returned to St John’s and brought them back to [a] power again.
I'll forgive your stray article bracketed above, and acknowledge your willingness to offer a correction to 1956.
Did you know there was college basketball played before 2014? Bet that’s news to you.
You already fell flat on your face a year ago when you asserted that there were 50 D-1 head coaches better than Dan Hurley, and did not produce or acknowledge not producing your list when I challenged you on this.

Here's a simpler homework assignment for 2024:

1) Read my typically tiresome treatise on why I don't do sports (or really other) betting, and get comfortable with what I wrote.
2) Yes, please, by all means bet me that it's news to me that there was college basketball played before 2014. I'll even let you back date to include autumn 2013. Name the stakes.

I'll even let you say you're sorry, Joe Lapchick notwithstanding, and that you meant to write "1987," which is 30 years later. AND, you meant 30 years earlier, with the "(1983-)84" season as the time marker for your bet. I'll still take it.

I also bet you hide from these challenges.

But just in case you want to play things out, you can pick the charitable concern to which your losing wager will go, and you can claim donor recognition and any applicable/favorable tax-deduction for your contribution.
Am I missing anything?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sorry, 1956. That’s when Lapchick returned to St John’s and brought them back to a power again.

Are you sure you want to use 1956 as an inflection point?

During the years leading up to that, Frank McGuire did a good enough job to a) bring them to their first final four (they've only made it one other time) and b) get plu led by UNC (who he led to a title a couple years later).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
When he makes a bad play, it’s resoundingly bad. We notice it more. Plus we depend on him so much, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
He just seems to sometimes favor the highlight reel play over simple and safe. Maybe it's just about having fun... The head scratchers do stick in memory but he always ends up with a healthy stat line.

Reaction Score
We better see weekly conference awards for Castle,Newton and Spencer. They went 2-0 this past week and each put up big numbers.

Castle averaged 20.5 pts 4 rebs 1.5 assists 1steal
Newton averaged 17pts 10.5 rebs 5 assists 1steal
Spencer averaged 19 pts. 6 rebs 2 assists 1.5 steals 1 block

Castle will get Freshman of the week again but I’m hoping they recognize him with Player of the week also.

Reaction Score
Clingan’s current offensive struggles are completely generated by Big East conference play. He will be a monster in the tournament. MOP of the final four. Book it.
Clingan (I assume) can and should be a dominating offensive player with his size. If Sanogo was so effective at 6’9, think what he could have done at Clingan’s size! Donovan likely won’t develop Sanogo’s moves, but he should be able to master a few basic skills to help on offensive end. He’s great as a deterrant and rebounder, and even though the team is winning without him scoring a lot each game, imagine how unbeatable UConn would be if he could score 15-20 points a game.

Reaction Score
We better see weekly conference awards for Castle,Newton and Spencer. They went 2-0 this past week and each put up big numbers.

Castle will get Freshman of the week again but I’m hoping they recognize him with Player of the week also.
Olivari will win POTW. Castle will be honor roll. Spencer will be snubbed again.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Castle, Spencer, and Newton great. Diarra the best defender in the game and worst offensive player lol. Clingan good on both sides of the ball, but less impact due to less minutes.
rapmjohn.png
From my unsophisticated and casual algorithm-math nerd point of view the biggest head scratcher I get from this chart is how any player, never mind two players, can receive a higher defensive rating in this game than Castle.

Seems to be an underweighting of neutralizing opponents best players and/or opponents players that could have the greatest offensive impact against us.

It would be interesting to see a similar chart for the Providence game. The impact Stephon had on Carter was Ricky Moore like.

Reaction Score
Olivari will win POTW. Castle will be honor roll. Spencer will be snubbed again.
Yep.
I hadn’t seen his stat line against Depaul until just now. But, as a homer counterpoint, his 43 points came in him playing 36 minutes in a 25 point victory over a crappy DePaul team. Castles stats were done in more meaningful games.
But I agree, Olivari will get the award based on his DePaul stat line.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Steph is a 19 year old PG. Soriano is a 24 year old C. And Steph took that challenge, this kid is crazy

Magic vs Sixers game six NBA Finals his rookie season when Kareem was out.

Reaction Score
From my unsophisticated and casual algorithm-math nerd point of view the biggest head scratcher I get from this chart is how any player, never mind two players, can receive a higher defensive rating in this game than Castle.

Seems to be an underweighting of neutralizing opponents best players and/or opponents players that could have the greatest offensive impact against us.

It would be interesting to see a similar chart for the Providence game. The impact Stephon had on Carter was Ricky Moore like.
Here's the chart for Providence

Screenshot 2024-02-05 102632.png

Reaction Score

you should take a look at what Quincy Olivari averaged in 2 games this past week

Reaction Score
you should take a look at what Quincy Olivari averaged in 2 games this past week
I think it has to be pointed out that one of those games was DePaul, and the other was 23 vs. STJ, which is basically what Cam and Steph had twice in 2 real non-DePaul games.

But i'm with you.....you score 43 against anyone in conference (even DePaul), you should win that week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom