St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I had irrationally high hopes for Spencer and he's managed to completely surpass them in all respects.

Everything he showed in his highlights video from Rutgers he does all the time.
He’s one of the most consistent guards we’ve seen in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
A solid road win against a team that is due to get wins. No AK or DC pretty much. St John’s getting the home whistle at least the refs didn’t slow down the game unlike Tuesday night. The Providence game just felt sweaty and gross given the pace and it ending pretty much after midnight, but this one was far more enjoyable. That’s 20 wins for the 3rd season in a row.

I liked how Hurley stayed with the small ball lineup for 4 minutes or so after Clingan picked up his 4th foul, go with with what’s working and keep Sampson and Clingan on bench as insurance with a fairly decent lead so had a little cushioning there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We've literally watched Steph Castle morph into an NBA lottery pick in a single season right before our very eyes. He went from early in the season, guys (including us yarders) questioning if he really has NBA potential and opposing coaches saying "lay off him, let him shoot" to one of our most dangerous weapons. Now you have to guard all 5 of us. Look out.

He was considered a lottery pick before he stepped foot on campus.

What he is doing on front of us fans is tweaking the ratio of potential to performance.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some observations:
1. Jim Jackson was spot on in assessing how the game has slowed for Castle. There's less hesitation in his decision making, and every move seems to have a purpose. He's going to be a heck of a player (more so).
2. Newton was good again, but he always has a couple of plays that make me scratch my head. Be it a ill-advised 3-pointer or dribbling into traffic, jumping, and throwing a blind pass leading to a TO. AS good as Tristen is, I think he can be better if he economized his shots and distributed more (which he's very good at).
3. Samson's lack of girth was apparent on a couple of putback attempts against thick-bodied players like Soriano and Ledlum. I'm still looking to see some of Samson's somewhat hyped 3-pt. shooting.
4. I think we benefitted from St. John's not utilizing Soriano more, considering Donovan was in foul trouble. Soriano clearly had an advantage on Samson.
5. Luis Jr. on St. John's looks to be a nice player. If he sticks around, I think Pitino can develop him.
6. Alleyne looked pretty good in the few minutes he played, I think Pitino should have gave him more minutes.

Overall, this was like a breath of fresh air compared to the pace of the Providence game.

Jim Jackson was a bigger version of Castle in HS and OSU.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stewart was not great this game and hasn’t progressed much to my eye (seems less and less playable, doesn’t seem to fit into the offense well) but man the fact that we didn’t drop off with him as our small ball 5 was amazing

What I like about Stewart is he has grown from being obviously lost on the floor on both ends to playing both ends without standing out negatively.
Soon he will start contributing.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It's his size that will keep him out of the league. He's got the skills. Although he's taller than Shabazz, he will suffer from the same lack of speed/athleticism needed to get your shots up as an undersized Guard.
Cam is a man playing with boys for the most part. He is a very good player and he will make money playing professional basketball. Probably not in the U.S. but he will play if he wants to in other countries. He has the perfect game. At first I thought he was a little smaller version than Doron. But he rebounds well and I think he is closer to 6’4” than not. When you look at his game he has a bit of Nadav the way he plays the passing lanes and he his a better shooter than both of them. But he is just playing chess on the floor he is two moves ahead and if it is not there he does a great job not forcing it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
My point was BE championship before another natty. Missing from the trophy case for a long time
Gotcha….totally agree with that.

Reaction Score
Cam is a man playing with boys for the most part. He is a very good player and he will make money playing professional basketball. Probably not in the U.S. but he will play if he wants to in other countries. He has the perfect game. At first I thought he was a little smaller version than Doron. But he rebounds well and I think he is closer to 6’4” than not. When you look at his game he has a bit of Nadav the way he plays the passing lanes and he his a better shooter than both of them. But he is just playing chess on the floor he is two moves ahead and if it is not there he does a great job not forcing it.
Excellent analysis.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Saying he has a bit of Nadav in him is high praise…it’s also accurate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom