Springboard | The Boneyard

Springboard

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Okay, I may be overstepping message board community courtesy with a third new thread in 48 hours, but here goes.

Is Mora taking this job as a springboard to returning to the coaching big time? My take; I hope so. My initial very early impression - yeah maybe thats the end game. Any kind of season and systems he can install that raises his profile is fine with me. I’ll take two good years and deal with what’s next after. Go ahead Coach Mora, make a splash and reclimb the ladder.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that to be the case, but if it worked out that way, it means this hire was an absolute success. He's older, but not necessarily old. He talked up our facilities bigly while doing the Navy game a couple years ago. He was intrigued by what we had here. As the days go by i get excited about the hire. He seems genuinely into the task at hand.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Okay, I may be overstepping message board community courtesy with a third new thread in 48 hours, but here goes.

Is Mora taking this job as a springboard to returning to the coaching big time? My take; I hope so. My initial very early impression - yeah maybe thats the end game. Any kind of season and systems he can install that raises his profile is fine with me. I’ll take two good years and deal with what’s next after. Go ahead Coach Mora, make a splash and reclimb the ladder.

I've been trying to think of why this job would be appealing to someone with his resume and here is what I came up with in no particular order.

• Based on his media work, he is more familiar with CT and UConn than someone currently coaching.
  • I think I read his kids are working in the NY area, so it's close to family.
  • Being an Independent is better than taking a job at a middling P5 program. We can all name the 5-6 programs where the coach isn't likely to be fired in 2-3 year (Florida ain't one, among many other big names). It also gives him a chance to schedule some early success (Randy did, it just didn't work out).
  • The upside (personal satisfaction) in reviving a sleeping program. I think the UConn brand comes into play here. He wasn't going to UMass or Liberty or any directional U. He wasn't going to a historically bad program either. We are not old enough to be firming planted in the Rutgers level.
  • The facilities are way better than he'd find at comparable programs and I assume DB convinced him that the University support will be there.
  • He's not dumb enough to believe that we have enough talent right now, but probably thinks he can find/attract talent in places Edsall 2.0 couldn't. I think he thinks he can attract a good staff.

That's all I could come up with. Don't know if that's plausible or just Mora blowing smoke. I think he is looking for another opportunity either in the P5 or the NFL, but I'm willing to help him on his way if he can get this program back on it's feet. Which means a plus .500 record and at least 2 bowl seasons. If he likes it here and wants to stay, that's fine but we aren't looking for a 20 year coach right now.

Reaction Score

He liked a tweet that said something like other schools will regret not hiring him sooner. I think this is absolutely a stepping stone. And fine. We need to embrace it. If he can build a foundation and get this program to a place where admin aren’t going on record saying we might have to make a difficult decision about the program if it doesn’t work then great. Get some oxygen back. Get some mojo. Let’s get a coach to mentor to take over. Mora deserves a chance at big time cfb again and if UConn is the place it takes to get there then fine

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

1 - Yes, he is taking this job to return to coaching big time.
2 - It isn't out of the realm of possibility that an improved UConn football program can be big time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

So he is reading our board. :p

Hey Coach Mora, dont spend much time here, just come get the flavor and then get back to coach stuff.

Reaction Score
I think 1 maybe he wants to move to the Northeast because that's where the media is. He can fall back on commentating if he chooses to. Then 2 he looks at the P5 and thinks BC, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland....and NOT UCONN! I've been to UCONN. This is a slam dunk!

Reaction Score
How about he turn us into big time? Once we are big time, he can stay as long as he wants. We have the potential to be a big time program. In the North East, only Penn St is the big time program while we can certainly compete with all other P5 programs if we can regularly develop players to the NFL.

If we are a stepping stone and he leaves in 2 years, it's means we done well so we will be a good job for another coach.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

He doesn’t make it here he’ll end up a position coach forever

Reaction Score
If he does that then he will have turned the program around and made this place a desireable gig again.

I would think if he turned it around and made it fun again he might not want to leave.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t make it here he’ll end up a position coach forever
Oh, the latter horrors. As if a position coaching role, or alternatively heading back to Sun Valley sitting on UCLA's $12m, Seahawks' $11m and Falcons' buy outs would be dreadful life hardships.

Reaction Score
Oh, the latter horrors. As if a position coaching role, or alternatively heading back to Sun Valley sitting on UCLA's $12m, Seahawks' $11m and Falcons' buy outs would be dreadful life hardships.
Your right he doesn’t need to be here! The great part about this is at this moment it is where he wants to be! Maybe this is his last stop or a stepping stone. I actually have the feeling he is just focused on the job at hand.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If he does that then he will have turned the program around and made this place a desireable gig again.

I would think if he turned it around and made it fun again he might not want to leave.
That's what I'm thinking. There's a difference between 48 and 58. If we turn it around, UConn would be family. Trade that in for Washington State?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Instead of all this stepping stone business, isn't it just possible that the challenge of rebuilding a program was his motivation?

There are those who cannot past up a good challenge. Mora has built before and I believe he can and will do it again.

Reaction Score
oe9gQe.gif

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Instead of all this stepping stone business, isn't it just possible that the challenge of rebuilding a program was his motivation?

There are those who cannot past up a good challenge. Mora has built before and I believe he can and will do it again.

Because we weren't born yesterday. Assuming he's successful, there is a non-zero chance he will decide to stay for the duration.

Then again, there is a non-zero chance, he takes the UW job and never coaches a game here.

It is 100% certain that he chose to take this job of his own free will and Dave doesn't have compromising pictures of him. Maybe 99% certain.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
It’s the image of failure that haunts a man

Reaction Score
It’s the image of failure that haunts a man
Sure some more than others clearly allow less than successful prior experiences, endeavors, and others' negative views to impact their lives, perspectives, mentalities, etc. Others, including the apparently positive and driven HCJM, view past challenges as mere obstacles and opportunities on the way to achieve greater success. Advantage: the latter. Go UConn!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom