Spring Ball is here… Welcome to the New Age! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Spring Ball is here… Welcome to the New Age!

Reaction Score
Not trolling at all, just dejavu. If we can all agree that last season was a low point at QB, then we should expect the new guys to be dominating the spring conversation. If the comparisons to the old guy is luke warm and the new guy isn't jelling with WR's we know are really good, it suggests a suboptimal dynamic on a couple of fronts.

If overreading off-season scraps of information makes people uneasy, then what are we doing here?
Last year was not the low point at QB. Try Bones or Johnny M. Tyler Phommachanh and Steven Krajewski were big upgrade on those two, even given having no OL, no RB, best receivers out and no deception in the offensive scheme.

I'll take you at your word, not trolling. Just woefully poor interpretation of how to judge the process. When you say new guys, seems like at present there is only 1, with the other transfer and freshman from top high school program yet to arrive.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You are right except you are missing one big piece. This is a new offense with new schemes, coaches, etc. All the players are on offense are learning it for the first time. Very early in the jelling department and old guy and new guy are basically starting at 0 in a new offense. This is also just base installation- the real growth will take place over the summer and that is when you will hopefully see separation and jelling.

We've been through 4 rounds of jelling in the last decade. It think we should be able to tell that there doesn't seem to be a huge jump in quality.

What we don't know is if there has been a steep drop in shooting ourselves in the foot. That alone should be worth a couple wins.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Last year was not the low point at QB. Try Bones or Johnny M. Tyler Phommachanh and Steven Krajewski were big upgrade on those two, even given having no OL, no RB, best receivers out and no deception in the offensive scheme.

I'll take you at your word, not trolling. Just woefully poor interpretation of how to judge the process. When you say new guys, seems like at present there is only 1, with the other transfer and freshman from top high school program yet to arrive.

Becuase guys who step on campus in July are easily plugged in. Is jelling important or not.

I'm really tired of getting hopes up to find out we are still a hot garbage laughing stock. Show me we're better. I'm not buying any camp talk.

Reaction Score
I have that more of the same feeling in the pit of my stomach. The idea of Steven Krajewski as a known quantity holding his own with the prospective upgrades is not the feeling I was hoping for.

Sounds like another off-season of multiple QB contender, which of course means we have zero QB contenders. And while I'm at it, it is nice to hear good things about Fitzgerald, Ross and Marion are both very good and that we aren't hearing more about them is also troubling.

LOL. I thought I was the grumpiest one on the board since the coaching change?

Look, am I jumping on the optimism based on anything that is going to happen prior to what I see on opening day? Absolutely not. But is there any basis to take positive thoughts and turn them into a negative? Come on.

Waiting and seeing, however, ….

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Becuase guys who step on campus in July are easily plugged in. Is jelling important or not.

I'm really tired of getting hopes up to find out we are still a hot garbage laughing stock. Show me we're better. I'm not buying any camp talk.
Ok. Don't buy it. I was wrong on PP, sort of wrong on Red Pants (but only for a while) and absolutely correct on HCRE2.0. I'm buying, more fun even if I turn out to be wrong again (no fun being right about HCRE2.0).

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Look, am I jumping on the optimism based on anything that is going to happen prior to what I see on opening day? Absolutely not. But is there any basis to take positive thoughts and turn them into a negative? Come on.

I don't see a lot of space between us on this. I guess I recognize the happy talk as being a bit over the top. I believe Mora was a huge get and that the guys coming in though the portal have to be an upgrade over what would have been had Edsall stayed, but a flashy coaching hire to the worst program of the decade can only take you so far and to date that means the guy who got run out of Happy Valley based on a single performance is the current favorite at QB.

Reaction Score
I don't see a lot of space between us on this. I guess I recognize the happy talk as being a bit over the top. I believe Mora was a huge get and that the guys coming in though the portal have to be an upgrade over what would have been had Edsall stayed, but a flashy coaching hire to the worst program of the decade can only take you so far and to date that means the guy who got run out of Happy Valley based on a single performance is the current favorite at QB.
I get what you're saying. Those of us who have followed the program for 2 decades know it don't mean a thing till they line up for real. I mean the UConnblog posted a video with a caption of what a physical inside runner our new RB is shaping up to be and the video showed him running in between 2 garbage cans.

I mainly just sit these threads out.

Reaction Score

I spent today thinking about this guy whilst touring a 19 property portfolio we are trying to buy.

My base thought is some people just are not mentally/emotionally constituted to try anything very complex. Occasionally we get into these tiffs with one guy or the other one ... relative side issues on turning around a 1-11 Program to Bowl Eligibility. Yes. This is a very complex for Mora. For any of these new coaches at 30 different programs. And the reason some were far more successful than others is occasionally just damn luck. Then: just give this guy the one building with the woman running a dance studio instead of the 160 unit multifamily - is what I concluded. I am not saying you have to be optimistic - for the 3rd time. I am saying this board gets insufferable if we don't have a little hope for this fall.

I can probably list 10 things I really really like from November 1 to April 1 from Mora, Benedict and staff. I am perfectly happy not interacting on the most black cloud days of some; and never want to discuss Roberson's performance against Iowa ever again.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I spent today thinking about this guy whilst touring a 19 property portfolio we are trying to buy.

My base thought is some people just are not mentally/emotionally constituted to try anything very complex. Occasionally we get into these tiffs with one guy or the other one ... relative side issues on turning around a 1-11 Program to Bowl Eligibility. Yes. This is a very complex for Mora. For any of these new coaches at 30 different programs. And the reason some were far more successful than others is occasionally just damn luck. Then: just give this guy the one building with the woman running a dance studio instead of the 160 unit multifamily - is what I concluded. I am not saying you have to be optimistic - for the 3rd time. I am saying this board gets insufferable if we don't have a little hope for this fall.

I can probably list 10 things I really really like from November 1 to April 1 from Mora, Benedict and staff. I am perfectly happy not interacting on the most black cloud days of some; and never want to discuss Roberson's performance against Iowa ever again.
So Biz Lawyer is living rent free in your head? ;)

Reaction Score
Who said he’s the “current favorite?” From all accounts it’s been an open and close competition. Unless you know something nobody else does?

Reaction Score
I am vacillating between 12-0 and causing issues for the playoff discussion and thinking we will be 1-11 again. It really is that for me. In the end I just want to see marked improvement. If I do not see that I will be devastated. This staff and Mora in particular has done everything correctly. I am a believer in if the team is “all in” it means more than the talent involved. These guys all can play. The margins are slim and wins and losses are not all about talent.

I cant wait for the fall. If we get blown out in game 1 it will be a huge letdown. I choose to believe we have turned the corner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom