SportzEdge:Edsall doesn’t think anyone willbe able to handle Travis Jones of Wilbur Cross one:one | The Boneyard

SportzEdge:Edsall doesn’t think anyone willbe able to handle Travis Jones of Wilbur Cross one:one

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you want a 3-3-5 to be successful and let those LB's and S's fly to the ball, you need a big ugly in the middle who commands a double team every play. the DT doesn't need to get a bunch of tackles, but needs to clog the middle and take up the C and a G.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He probably needs to drop some fat and gain muscle and conditioning. He certainly has the size to give the Huskies a Gilbert Brown like presence.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He's by far the recruit I was most excited to land. There are others in this class who could end up being great players for us, but I think this kid is going to be special. He also fills a desperate need for us, which is great too...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I wonder if he starts as a true freshman. Im not convinced that Kevin Murphy is a quality starter. On the other hand, would be good to give him a year to get stronger

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder if he starts as a true freshman. Im not convinced that Kevin Murphy is a quality starter. On the other hand, would be good to give him a year to get stronger
At 6'-1" 280 (I think UConn is being generous in both height and weight), Murphy is probably better suited for DE in a 3-3-5.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would guess he would start. It’s not like he needs to bulk up...maybe stronger but not bigger. I would think part of the appeal with committing to UConn would be the high likelihood that he could start as a true frosh.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I would guess he would start. It’s not like he needs to bulk up...maybe stronger but not bigger. I would think part of the appeal with committing to UConn would be the high likelihood that he could start as a true frosh.

Agreed. I guess it also depends on caleb thomas. He looked promising and has mlre size than murphy

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If Travis Jones is not the starter at NT at game one, he will be by game 3....unless we magically pull in a 5th year transfer for the position and even then, that transfer cannot play every down. I dont see how Murphy or anyone on the current roster can be given more than 10 snaps a game at NT.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed. I guess it also depends on caleb thomas. He looked promising and has mlre size than murphy

Murphy and Thomas are ahead of him until he arrives in campus and shows something. But if his strength is as good as Edsall is claiming it to be, it's hard to envision him not playing significant minutes in his freshman year...

Reaction Score
I now see why the coaches are not stressing to get a DT. Travis Jones is our guy at 6’5 350. If he can drop to 320 watch out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I now see why the coaches are not stressing to get a DT. Travis Jones is our guy at 6’5 350. If he can drop to 320 watch out.
And I think Pace could play the position if necessary. Need a back up plan for injuries.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not sure why people want to see him drop much weight. He could play at 330 and clog the middle for four years to come.
Still, like to see a fifth-year transfer come in for the NT spot

Reaction Score
He probably needs to drop some fat and gain muscle and conditioning. He certainly has the size to give the Huskies a Gilbert Brown like presence.

Agreed or he can be like Snacks from the NY Giants for us clogging that middle... With Foley leaving, Murphy and Thomas are a bit undersized at the Nose for what we need to do... Jones should help out a lot... Now if we could only just get that additional edge rusher with a little speed.... just sayin...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom