Sports' Most Unbreakable Records | The Boneyard

Sports' Most Unbreakable Records

Reaction Score
There are two types of “unbreakable” records and the DiMagggio/Young comparison illustrates the two types beautifully. One is the remarkable or improbable accomplishment. DiMaggio’s hit streak or Ripken’s consecutive games played streak. The second is a record that is “unbreakable” because the conditions under which it was set have changed so dramatically. Any of the career pitching records - Young’s complete games or career wins, Johnson’s career shutouts - which were set in a game that is no longer played are perfect examples of this.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
There are two types of “unbreakable” records and the DiMagggio/Young comparison illustrates the two types beautifully. One is the remarkable or improbable accomplishment. DiMaggio’s hit streak or Ripken’s consecutive games played streak. The second is a record that is “unbreakable” because the conditions under which it was set have changed so dramatically. Any of the career pitching records - Young’s complete games or career wins, Johnson’s career shutouts - which were set in a game that is no longer played are perfect examples of this.
I'd throw UConn's 111 winning streak into the latter - there's just too much parity in WCBB for that to ever take place these days. Look at the men's game: longest winning streak in MCBB in the past 40 years? UNLV, at 45, in 1990-91, which was a dominant team in a mediocre league, and won one championship as part of that streak. Even those conditions aren't really possible these days.

Reaction Score
I'd throw UConn's 111 winning streak into the latter - there's just too much parity in WCBB for that to ever take place these days. Look at the men's game: longest winning streak in MCBB in the past 40 years? UNLV, at 45, in 1990-91, which was a dominant team in a mediocre league, and won one championship as part of that streak. Even those conditions aren't really possible these days.

I would gently push back on putting the UConn streak in that category. I don’t think the game has changed that much since the streak - it’s been less than 10 years. And while I understand your observation about parity, it’s entirely possible that parity could move in the other direction, perhaps because of NIL and transfer rules. Having said that, it’s a remarkable achievement and we may very well not see it’s like again.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
When it comes to unbreakable winning streaks in sports UCONN BB and GENO owns the Majority of them, too numerous to mention except almost going 30 years without losing 2 games in a row. THAT will never be broken! Home winning streaks, on the road winning streaks,and many, many more. There used to be a poster on the Bone Yard some years ago that weekly or monthly kept track of all Uconn's records as they were happening and when they stopped. I don't know what happened to the poster, but I sure miss him. I know that there is a poster on the Bone Yard that knows who I'm talking about. Anyone?? GO HUSKIES!!!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I would gently push back on putting the UConn streak in that category. I don’t think the game has changed that much since the streak - it’s been less than 10 years. And while I understand your observation about parity, it’s entirely possible that parity could move in the other direction, perhaps because of NIL and transfer rules. Having said that, it’s a remarkable achievement and we may very well not see it’s like again.
A 111-game win streak necessarily entails three championships in a row. We haven't even seen a defending national champion win since the Stewie era. Current champion LSU has a 7-game win streak. They need two straight undefeated seasons and then another nearly full season undefeated. Anyone want to take the over on that bet?

South Carolina, arguably the most dominant team since the Stewie UConn era, got to 42 games. 2020-21 winner Stanford won 20 straight. 2018-19 champ Baylor got to 36.

The fact that we haven't even seen the same team win two championships in a row (undefeated or not) seems somewhat indicative of how hard this would be these days. And it's truly a testament to Stewie (and Mo, and Tuck) that they never took a night off after their freshman year.

Reaction Score
When it comes to unbreakable winning streaks in sports UCONN BB and GENO owns the Majority of them, too numerous to mention except almost going 30 years without losing 2 games in a row. THAT will never be broken! Home winning streaks, on the road winning streaks,and many, many more. There used to be a poster on the Bone Yard some years ago that weekly or monthly kept track of all Uconn's records as they were happening and when they stopped. I don't know what happened to the poster, but I sure miss him. I know that there is a poster on the Bone Yard that knows who I'm talking about. Anyone?? GO HUSKIES!!!
I realize the topic was unbreakable records but winning streaks are records also. Just wanted to clarify.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A 111-game win streak necessarily entails three championships in a row. We haven't even seen a defending national champion win since the Stewie era. Current champion LSU has a 7-game win streak. They need two straight undefeated seasons and then another nearly full season undefeated. Anyone want to take the over on that bet?

South Carolina, arguably the most dominant team since the Stewie UConn era, got to 42 games. 2020-21 winner Stanford won 20 straight. 2018-19 champ Baylor got to 36.

The fact that we haven't even seen the same team win two championships in a row (undefeated or not) seems somewhat indicative of how hard this would be these days. And it's truly a testament to Stewie (and Mo, and Tuck) that they never took a night off after their freshman year.

Actually, 111 in a row entails either 2 or 3 consecutive championships. For example, 39, 39, and 33 in a row. The 33 wouldn't get to a championship game in a normal season.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Good to see the UConn women get some recognition regarding their dynasties! However, with new transfer rules and the ability for players to get paid, I can see a "superteam" emerge that could be undefeated for 3 to 4 years. Sort of like "the Fab 5" where players collude to play together.

Personally, I think Wooden's UCLA teams that won 7 Titles in a row (1967-1973) is a much more unbreakable record with regard to college basketball Titles streak.

Reaction Score
One more record that will never be broken is the Chicago Cubs 108 years between winning a World Series. Also, 71 years between appearing in a World Series. Both Major League records.

Reaction Score
Good to see the UConn women get some recognition regarding their dynasties! However, with new transfer rules and the ability for players to get paid, I can see a "superteam" emerge that could be undefeated for 3 to 4 years. Sort of like "the Fab 5" where players collude to play together.

Personally, I think Wooden's UCLA teams that won 7 Titles in a row (1967-1973) is a much more unbreakable record with regard to college basketball Titles streak.
We don't know where NIL and the portal will take college basketball. I would hate to see the sport slip into the category of "it isn't played like that anymore". UConn's WBB 111 streak might be considered the "dead ball" era of WBB if the ugliness goes to the extreme. That would be very sad...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One more record that will never be broken is the Chicago Cubs 108 years between winning a World Series. Also, 71 years between appearing in a World Series. Both Major League records.

Records of futility may be easier to break than records of excellence. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm calling on Husky Nan to answer who the poster was that posted all the records that Uconn had in progress and had ended. Husky Nan was on board and is the gate keeper to all posters. How about it Husky Nan. Satisfy my curiousity and name him and put up one of his posts that showed the records. THANK YOU.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Glad to see Penn St. vball included on this list. Probably should've been on the list the OP posted.

Didn't Mikaela Shiffrin just set a record for most combined wins, with quite a few good years still left in her career? I would think that one is also gonna be pretty close to unbreakable when she gets done.

Reaction Score
I'd like to include the 28 consecutive NCAA tournament wins for our ladies

Reaction Score
I don't know. IF UCONN gets another dominant post player Geno and his staff could do it again. I don't think any other coach can but I don't think parity exists in the women's game just yet. When they come in and leave after a year it could be a thing, but not now. To me parity is built through the coaches and UCONN still gets the best players and they do it consistently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom