Spencer, Johnson Show Out Ahead of European Tour | The Boneyard

Spencer, Johnson Show Out Ahead of European Tour

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Team practices in front of Jim Calhoun at St. Joseph.

In turning the page on last year’s national championship season, the vocal leadership role – which was mostly handled by Andre Jackson Jr. last year – has been handed down to Karaban, the sophomore with three semesters under his belt since he enrolled early.

“I didn’t expect it to be this early, but yeah I have to be that vocal leader for us,” he said. “I think Tristen does a perfect job setting the example, Donovan is gonna help with the vocal as well but I think I have to really lead the vocal. I was here last year and half the year earlier so I’ve seen RJ (Cole), Tyrese (Martin) and Andre and Adama (Sanogo). So I’m really trying to use my voice, that’s something I’m working on every day with the coaching staff, just trying to get them going and create a competitive environment.”

During the first of three 10-minute scrimmages Saturday, Johnson, who missed nearly all of last season with a foot injury, got the crowd going. With a subtle stepback move on Clingan, Johnson pulled up and made a 3-pointer – he went to the bench right after for some rest, so Clingan had to respond by dunking on freshman Youssouf Singare.

“Samson, he’s a whole new player,” Clingan said. “He’s been in the gym and he’s been putting in the work so it’s starting to show and pay off. He played great today, he’s been playing great every day in practice. I’m happy for him and hope he keeps stepping up to the table and he’s gonna play a big role for us this year.”

Reaction Score
"As he's (Johnson) rolling and dunking and finishing at the rim and shooting the 3 now, playing that four-spot, I think, is a better fit," coach Dan Hurley noted. "He (also) gives us that 1-2 punch at center, potentially, that was devastating for people last year."

Alternate access:

Cam Spencer, Samson Johnson impress in UConn men's basketball team's open practice

Reaction Score
Karaban returned earlier this week from participating in the Jayson Tatum Elite Camp in St. Louis. He called the experience “priceless.”

“It was so much fun. That camp really boosted my confidence in the sense that I was playing against some of the other top wings in the country. I really just learned from Tatum, Bradley Beal, Paolo (Banchero), Chris Paul, they all taught me so much. That four day period was so invaluable.”

Alternate access:

Spencer’s competitive spirit a great fit for UConn basketball program

Reaction Score
Dan liking Samson at the 4 more than the 5 is interesting.
He might be the most important player on this roster. If he develops into a real productive consistent player that makes this team a real threat to repeat. He patches what could be a very, very big hole if he and Singare dont contribute. DC has to bear the load and come march could really hit the wall and that cant happen if we have any chance at a repeat.

Reaction Score
Dan liking Samson at the 4 more than the 5 is interesting.

The more interesting part is... he may very well have taken the big step forward during this off season that all of us have hoped for.

If this is true???... Strap in ladies and gents, for we really do have a legit shot at, dare I say it, the repeat. Or certainly putting up a really strong run in that direction come March 2024. As we all know, this is something we have yet to do, as great as our run of the last 24 years has been. Our deepest tournament run so far after each of our 5 National Titles has only been the 2nd Round. Yuck.

The anticipation for this season just ratcheted up to a whole other level. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is there a scenario where we see this lineup…Maybe not a starting unit but for stretches?

Clingan
Samson
Karaban
Castle
Newton

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wonder what happens if Johnson plays his way into the starting lineup

Reaction Score
1690675784754.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No way he does over Karaban
Yeah, can't see that. Johnson will get his 20 mins spelling AK and DC and maybe some sets where DH goes tall trees.

In a tall trees setup, If Johnson has a decent handle and DC becomes a 3 pt threat, that's almost non-defensable.

Have to say, I hate being prohibitive favorites.

Reaction Score
I like Johnson coming off the bench. If they have a second squad coming in and hitting like last year's 2nd group in, it is such an advantage. There were many games where the starters were good, but it was the 2nd team that created problems and built leads. That's the advantage of having a truly deep team.

Reaction Score
Is there a scenario where we see this lineup…Maybe not a starting unit but for stretches?

Clingan
Samson
Karaban
Castle
Newton

Maybe in a pinch, but that could get ugly defensively at the 2/3.

Reaction Score

Clingan
Samson
Karaban
Castle
Newton
That lineup would be bigger then most nba teams

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Clingan
Samson
Karaban
Castle
Newton
Yes. I think we will see it. Not often though.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Le Cannet Basket is a 4th division team in France. It looks like they were promoted from the 5th division last year.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Le Cannet Basket is a 4th division team in France. It looks like they were promoted from the 5th division last year.
The largest lobster is often the most expensive...

Reaction Score
crazy how people are flipping out on Samson...as I wrote this spring, if he plays with confidence and can hit the 3 some, he could flash into the draft...his athleticism is off chart, which is why he was banner worthy, or w/e 'ferrari in garage' type line hurley hung on him...these more reserved kids need time and coddling to build confidence...kenton facey i think of...hurley re-recruiting him last yr was all i needed to hear...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom