Spanos is a good guy but he makes a lot of dumb decisions. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spanos is a good guy but he makes a lot of dumb decisions.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think 95% of the time I would have kicked the FG over going for it on 4th in that situation. It was a clear opportunity to take the lead in the second half. Kicker had just missed a chip shot after being solid all season. Quick chance to get him to erase the bad, make an FG and get positive thoughts back in to head.

In this situation however, I think going for it was right. Let's take a look. McFadden may have tweaked something on the missed FG and maybe Spanos wasn't sure if he was able to kick. No need to trot out the back up kicker in that situation. Yes, that's speculation, but much like Ginsu knives, there's more.

Starting C was out and back up C was in game. Your back up QB who is the holder was playing QB since the starter got hurt. If Steven Krajewski gets hurt, then UConn was doomed. So, back up kicker (possibly), back up C (definitely) and the chance to minimize getting QB hurt while handling his holder duties means going for it was an okay decision for me. That being said, IMO burning a TO go get everything squared away would have been a good use of a second half TO.

Reaction Score
The only "bad" decision I remember was calling his 3 time outs to ice the kicker way too early. I would have liked to see him wait until the ball was about to be snapped. In fact, I would have like to see him do that with the 1st TO, and then have the kicker assume that he would also do it on the 2nd or 3rd But, not call it and mess up the timing or have him guessing and possibly caught off guard, by not calling it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom