Spanos -- are you freakin' joking? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spanos -- are you freakin' joking?

Reaction Score
The DC whose defense NEVER used disguise. No movement on D line pre-snap. Just show the defense and play the defense Spanos.

Disappointed beyond belief. He has been flat off awful. And Mora hires him? WTTF?
Now, a few months ago, people were saying Spanos should have the HC job. Now, it's a bad move...

Am I missing something, besides it being the Boneyard!! :) know

Reaction Score
Takes a lot to build trust, and one bad move to destroy it. Mora just took ten steps back in my book.

Reaction Score
We had a defense that was on the field for most of the game and our secondary was pretty weak. I don't think that Spanos got to show what he is capable of. Hopefully we'll see what he can do with better recruits.

He was also a favorite of the players on the team, and I think that had something to do with it. He managed to salvage a semblance of a season, and would have had more success but for Phommachanh's injury.
Maybe two victories if Tyler P did not get injured. I just cannot logically argue for any more.

Reaction Score
I put these stats in another thread. Spanos did dramatically improve the defense in 2019, but I don't think you can judge 2021 due to the off year in 2020 and the chaos of 2021 with Spanos being appointed interim HC and Horton appointed DC and he had no experience as a DC. And, the defense looked much worse than it was due to the terrible offense.

Here are the total defense stats for the last 3 seasons:

2018 (Crocker): #130 617.4 yards per game
2019 (Spanos): #116 466.8 yards per game
2021 (Spanos/Horton): #115 451.8 yards per game

One thing we do know. The Spanos/Mora defenses at UCLA were good, so we should be optimistic.
Of course let’s be hopeful. What is our alternative ? Shall we run around yelling that “the sky is falling”. Shall we lose our minds ? Shall we just forfeit next season ? This is not ideal but giving up hope is not in my DNA.

Reaction Score
this is a bit extreme. it was going to be Mora's defense no matter who the coach was. I am not in love with the hire, either, but it is what it is.
Agree that someone hungrier and younger would have been better. But the cards have been dealt out. So play ball. Ooops sorry that is baseball.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Bad news:

seems pretty obvious this was not the first. or second. or maybe even third choice

Good news:

Mora is a defensive guy. His fingerprints will be all over the defense, and Spanos will be calling Mora's type of game.
Exactly with Mora here Spanos is ok, the kids love him that helps.

Reaction Score
I am OK with this. I think that DB probably was opposed but HCJM probably wore him down with a number of attempts in other directions that didn't click. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mazzone as a part time analyst either. Doesn't make me wildly enthusiastic, but the staff is a team too and some continuity is valuable to say nothing of previous relationships.

Reaction Score
Like the hire.....they have coached together before.....Mora will have his influence on the defense.....the kids really liked Spanos.....let’s see what he can do with a talent upgrade and an offense that can hopefully stay on the field and move the ball to give the defense a rest!

Like that they have a full coaching staff now and like the recruiting so far...things are headed in the right direction!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Grow up. Have you watched the Huskies in recent years? The defense sucks and the coaching is a HUGE reason why.

What are you saying Pudge, you like the hire?
This is not a defense or criticism of Spanos. We don’t know at all how much of Edsall’s conservative imprint was at play. I do know that our offense made sure the defense was worn down sooner or later. Way too many quick possessions. Spanos had too much of a positive history to have been solely responsible for the passive defense. But we will find out. And Mora isntvRandy and I hope that’s a good thing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think just hearing the name of anyone from the old RE staff makes all of us have a little shiver. I know my immediate response was a scream of NOOO! However, after a deep breath, I realized that he had this team excited and pumped to play every game. The only game we looked dead was the UMass game. Guess who wasn't on the sidelines for that game?? These kids believed and followed Spanos. Gotta believe that played a big role here. That along with the fact that he and Mora have a previous working relationship and seem to know each other well.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to find coaches players want to play with. Mora is the head coach and will have ultimate say. Just give the guy a shot. If he succeeds then great. If the defense is awful they move on. This isn’t a bad hire by any stretch as it offers stability and continuity to a program which lets be honest has been a mess. I don’t blame Spanos at all for the failures of last season because not many coaches in the country could have succeeded in the situation he was handed. Go huskies

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What would be the delay? And why announce that no one’s from the existing staff was returning?

Reaction Score
The success of many, MANY, HCRE assistants, without, well, HCRE, gives me hope.
Moorhead took PSU to a top 5 team at one point. Made Fordham into a contender and made OSU's defense look pedestrian. Edsall definitely held back his assistants.

Spanos defense showed a lot of improvement by the end of the year. Problem was they were on the field significantly longer than the offense. Not much you can do when you're running on fumes by mid 3rd quarter. I fully believe this is going to be a completely different defense because 1) Edsall won't be micromanaging and making it incredibly vanilla and 2) Edsall is no where near the offense and Guifre is gone and we have adults running the offense now.

Reaction Score
So Lou is basically going from interim head coach to interim DC. Mora will keep Lou until He can find and hire someone better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see much 2nd string QB thinking in this thread.

Reaction Score
Takes a lot to build trust, and one bad move to destroy it. Mora just took ten steps back in my book.
Not sure how bad the ten steps back are, how many steps had he taken forward prior to hiring Spanos.

Reaction Score
After reporting that none of the prior coaching staff would be retained.............this is a major surprise. So who jumped the gun, the press, or Mora? My guess............................surprise..................... the press.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom