South Carolina ver Arkansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina ver Arkansas

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I do think we need to wait before annointing Boston as a generational player. Players often hit their peak early, while some hit it late. Bostons best asset, her size, she had as a freshman. I don't think her an Fowles are a good comparison. They have different body types. Boston, to her credit, is attempting to expand her game. When she reaches the next level she knows she will not be able to overpower the opposition like she has often done in college. She needs to develop more offensive skills. Another factor that often comes into play, especially for women is body type, it they undergo a change in college like KML did. It should not affect her as much because she is a post and not a guard, but in is still capable of slowing her down. But as a post it could turn out to be an advantage.

I think she's pretty darn skilled offensively and is arguably the best offensive post in the country.

Most of her buckets aren't overpowering others as much as she gets great positioning, provides a huge window for guards to feed her the ball, has great length and catches everything thrown to her and finishes well. She rarely bulldozes players on the offensive end. She also takes (and makes) a lot of faceup jumpers, has quick feet for someone her size and can finish over either shoulder. Watch some of last year's highlights and you'll see she's much less of a power player than people realize.

Compare that A'ja Wilson who was always finishing against 2-3 defenders and got to the line twice as often as Boston did.

https://youtu.be/WrUKrdUuATQ

If anything, I think Aliyah needs to lean in more to being a power player and create contact. She doesn't get to the free throw line nearly enough.

Im not throwing around the word generational, but she'd be either the #1 or #2 pick if all collegiate players were eligible for the draft today. To be fair I think only one poster on here has called her generational or consistently implied that.

Reaction Score
Having moved to South Carolina, interesting watching South Carolina play Arkansas on SEC Channel. Few points I'm sure Geno is aware of:

-Have watched 2/3 of the game and not seen Boston run the court once. Usually a slow trot. Gets gassed after 5 minutes. ONO likely to run her out of game. Clearly overweight but still had a double, double at halftime. Huge-outweighed her Arkansas defender by 50-60+ pounds and moves well on pick and rolls. Does not move on defense but if near the ball will block it.
-Much of SC's offense revolves around getting the ball inside to Boston or when she gets doubled, kicking out to open shooter. If we don't have to double Boston, did not see great SC ball movement.
-Midway through second half, Arkansas got cold but was getting open shots every time down the floor.

SC a good team, but having watched them a few times this year, not as dominate as in the past. Feel good about future match ups.
Nice one Hop!

I'm waiting on the full game reply on Youtube. From clips, Boston was unstoppable but Arkansas's defense was poor and they didn't have the size to deal with SC. SC shot over 50% from the field and from 3 pt land.

But if Arkansas can score 82, shouldn't we be able to get into the 90s?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Game was within 8 points about 8 minutes into second half. This was when Arkansas missed about 7 open shots in a row. Seemed like each time Arkansas missed, SC then got it down low to Boston who had someone 5 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter guarding her. Was a relative blow out after that. Boston seemed out of breath every time down the court but seemed like no one was guarding her.
That's what ONO is supposed to do EVERYTIME she has someone smaller than her guarding her. Use and abuse them!! :mad:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
View attachment 63739
Aliyah Boston posts a double double in the first half, imposes her will over the hapless Razorbacks.
The Gamecocks scored 62 points in the 2nd half. UConn will have their hands full on Feb 8.
Box score

To underrate SC is very dangerous, while I believe we can beat them, any team that lets them get on a roll can be in deep trouble. Boston may not be up to mid season form yet but she is gaining steam and has the bulk and game to impose her will on the competition. A big plus for S.C. they are starting to hit from outside.
I am not a fan of the way they play the game but I realize they don't give a fig about how anyone else views them. It will be a battle for sure when we get to beat them, our speed, finesse and depth should get the job done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having moved to South Carolina, interesting watching South Carolina play Arkansas on SEC Channel. Few points I'm sure Geno is aware of:

-Have watched 2/3 of the game and not seen Boston run the court once. Usually a slow trot. Gets gassed after 5 minutes. ONO likely to run her out of game. Clearly overweight but still had a double, double at halftime. Huge-outweighed her Arkansas defender by 50-60+ pounds and moves well on pick and rolls. Does not move on defense but if near the ball will block it.
-Much of SC's offense revolves around getting the ball inside to Boston or when she gets doubled, kicking out to open shooter. If we don't have to double Boston, did not see great SC ball movement.
-Midway through second half, Arkansas got cold but was getting open shots every time down the floor.

SC a good team, but having watched them a few times this year, not as dominate as in the past. Feel good about future match ups.
Hahahahaha. ok.

Reaction Score
Again? Really?!? Honest question: do you think that Paige Bueckers has the potential to be a generational player?

As of now, I'd say there are 2 current players who are "generational" - transforming their positions that will impact the game for years to come. Boston is redefining the post player & Paige is transforming the guard position.

Reaction Score
Nice one Hop!

I'm waiting on the full game reply on Youtube. From clips, Boston was unstoppable but Arkansas's defense was poor and they didn't have the size to deal with SC. SC shot over 50% from the field and from 3 pt land.

Arkansas plays very fast, shoots it better than UCONN, takes a lot of threes, and doesn't play much defense.

Won't be nearly as many points scored in the UCONN/South Carolina matchup.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Boston or ONO?
Ginger or Mary Ann? We’ve already answered that question. The consensus was that Mary Ann was ALWAYS the right answer. All you have to do now is figure out which one is Mary Ann. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas plays very fast, shoots it better than UCONN, takes a lot of threes, and doesn't play much defense.

Won't be nearly as many points scored in the UCONN/South Carolina matchup.
UConn leads the nation with a 53.5% field goal percentage ahead by 1.5% of the second best Missouri. Arkansas isn't even in the top 50 as far as I can tell, so how is it that they "shoot it better than UConn?"

Reaction Score
UConn leads the nation with a 53.5% field goal percentage ahead by 1.5% of the second best Missouri. Arkansas isn't even in the top 50 as far as I can tell, so how is it that they "shoot it better than UConn?"

Arkansas shoots almost 38% from three point range as a team.

UConn shoots 34%.

Arkansas easily has a better shooting team.

UConn is better inside and takes fewer threes. Which helps FG percentage overall. As does not facing quality defenses.

Reaction Score
Nice one Hop!

Reaction Score
I think you're on your own in calling her overweight/not well conditioned. Keep in mind Geno had Stef Dolson for 4 years who was never trim or fast up the court and she excelled.
Go back to pictures of Stef over her four years. Worked hard on conditioning. Not an accident she (and others) were able to turn the hard work into championships. If Boston is in such good shape, why does she never run?

Reaction Score
Go back to pictures of Stef over her four years. Worked hard on conditioning. Not an accident she (and others) were able to turn the hard work into championships. If Boston is in such good shape, why does she never run?

You ever see Jabbar run?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Seems you're the only one who has that opinion on Boston in regards to conditioning/being overweight. I'd suggest you watch more of her games and footage.

Carnac

Reaction Score
To underrate SC is very dangerous, while I believe we can beat them, any team that lets them get on a roll can be in deep trouble. Boston may not be up to mid season form yet but she is gaining steam and has the bulk and game to impose her will on the competition. A big plus for S.C. they are starting to hit from outside.
I am not a fan of the way they play the game but I realize they don't give a fig about how anyone else views them. It will be a battle for sure when we get to beat them, our speed, finesse and depth should get the job done.
The thing that concerns me most about this game is ONO’s ability to stay in the game. If she doesn’t play smart, I can see her picking up 2 fouls in the first half, maybe the first quarter. If she gets in early foul trouble, who is going to guard Boston then, Edwards?

Gabriel is not an option yet, and Aubrey is too small. Geno will have no choice but to go zone. As long as ONO is in the game and is productive, we should be ok.

If she gets in first half foul trouble and has to sit for an appreciable amount of time, and Boston goes off, UConn could possibly fall so far behind, they may not be able to catch up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you're on your own in calling her overweight/not well conditioned. Keep in mind Geno had Stef Dolson for 4 years who was never trim or fast up the court and she excelled.
I don't want to split hairs here but she doesn't run hard up the court and doesn't consistently move her feet well. Many times, she doesn't move her feet at all actually. She looked better last year to me. I've only seen two games but she seemed to be better physically this game than the other game I saw vs NC state.

Reaction Score
I don't want to split hairs here but she doesn't run hard up the court and doesn't consistently move her feet well. Many times, she doesn't move her feet at all actually. She looked better last year to me. I've only seen two games but she seemed to be better physically this game than the other game I saw vs NC state.

Boston

19-20: 12.5 pt 9.4 reb 2.7 blk 1.0 ast .609/.182/.744
20-21: 14.3 pt 11.1 reb 2.7 blk 1.4 ast .500 /.333 /.700

Boston started slow this season, but her counting numbers are up across the board.

I think the shooting percentage is partially taking more outside shots and partially struggling against the novelty of sagging defenses earlier this year.

She wasn't really a throw it in and convert a basket against a double team post last season. And if you had to fault her defense last season it would have been getting out on shooters in help situations.

I think she's improved in both categories this season.

She's also expanded her game outside and is better off the dribble.

But again, she had a slow start as she and the team started to adjust to way they were being played. And maybe some COVID lag. Might as well throw that in.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Boston

19-20: 12.5 pt 9.4 reb 2.7 blk 1.0 ast .609/.182/.744
20-21: 14.3 pt 11.1 reb 2.7 blk 1.4 ast .500 /.333 /.700

Boston started slow this season, but her counting numbers are up across the board.

I think the shooting percentage is partially taking more outside shots and partially struggling against the novelty of sagging defenses earlier this year.

She wasn't really a throw it in and convert a basket against a double team post last season. And if you had to fault her defense last season it would have been getting out on shooters in help situations.

I think she's improved in both categories this season.

She's also expanded her game outside and is better off the dribble.

But again, she had a slow start as she and the team started to adjust to way they were being played. And maybe some COVID lag. Might as well throw that in.
She can be scary good, as shown in the last couple of games. At times she doesn't need good footwork, if she is in even questionable position that's all she needs. It's impossible to move her or get around her going for position or rebounds.

Reaction Score
She can be scary good, as shown in the last couple of games. At times she doesn't need good footwork, if she is in even questionable position that's all she needs. It's impossible to move her or get around her going for position or rebounds.

Yeah, she's not fantastic catching and converting off an entry unless she can seal off the defender. She's so big and strong, she makes it work.

She does a lot of damage in motion. On the boards, or recently off the dribble.

they're getting her cleaner looks in sets too these days. I think her percentages will continue rising.

Reaction Score
Arkansas shoots almost 38% from three point range as a team.

UConn shoots 34%.

Arkansas easily has a better shooting team.

UConn is better inside and takes fewer threes. Which helps FG percentage overall. As does not facing quality defenses.

So how did the Gamecocks do against the only quality defense they have faced, NCSt? 27%fg, 17%3pt, and Boston was 4-14 against the only quality post she has faced.

I'm a huge Boston fan but the fact is that she hasn't had success against a quality post. I expect that she will but until then I'll leave my anointing oil in it's vase. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom