South Carolina Adds Oregon Duck | The Boneyard

South Carolina Adds Oregon Duck

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Seems odd that she'd be willing to back up Raven Johnson?
I don't see it as backing up Raven Johnson. Rather I see it as pushing Raven Johnson. This is a brilliant addition by Dawn and sends a great message to Raven: you have to earn everything - nothing is given to you as an inheritance.

Reaction Score
PaoPao is going to be the SG alongside Raven, PaoPao shot 42% from 3 last year, she will be the shooting guard who replaces Cooke. Raven is the starting PG, and this pickup is not intended to change that. It is an addition to add a SG that can knock down 3’s.

Raven will be the best PG in the SEC next year, no question.

It was going to be a rebuilding year anyway, after losing 7 seniors and all 5 starters. But now it gets a little interesting, as a starting 5 that includes Cardoso at center, Raven at point and PaoPao at SG is intriguing especially with Watkins, Feagin, Kitts and Fulwiley in tow.

Reaction Score
PaoPao is going to be the SG alongside Raven, PaoPao shot 42% from 3 last year, she will be the shooting guard who replaces Cooke. Raven is the starting PG, and this pickup is not intended to change that. It is an addition to add a SG that can knock down 3’s.

It was going to be a rebuilding year anyway, after losing 7 seniors and all 5 starters. But now it gets a little interesting, as a starting 5 that includes Cardoso at center, Raven at point and PaoPao at SG is intriguing especially with Watkins, Feagin, Kitts and Fulwiley in tow.
I don’t think she’ll be better than Hailey Van Lith, let’s pump the breaks on Johnson, we all still remember the Iowa game.

Reaction Score
Nice pick up indeed. South Carolina got a decent sniper out on the perimeter. This is a nice pick up for Coach Staley and South Carolina.

Reaction Score
It is also going to make Cardosa very effective inside when they can't all play the Iowa defense. Don't guard anyone on the 3 point line and have 5 inside the paint to defend and hope you can get a rebound. It worked and Dawn saw the need for a change. Much better shooter then Cooke.

Reaction Score

Some rebuilding year. They look like the favorites to win the SEC again this year. Dawn has done very well preparing for this transition.

You may be right about Raven being the best pg in the SEC, though it will require her to make a leap comparable to what Nika did last season. I think she’s capable of it. PaoPao and Raven may turn out to be an upgrade from last year’s backcourt.

Similarly, although Kamila isn’t quite the low post scoring threat Boston has been, she is formidable, and Watkins looks like a suitable replacement for Saxton if not an upgrade. The piece Dawn may not be able to replace so easily is Beal.

Reaction Score
Is this a change in Dawn's philosophy? She's getting players that can shoot? Don't know if Cardosa is gonna like that. It will limit her rebounds and put backs.
Her performance was very up and down last year so perhaps the streaky streak is intact.......

Reaction Score
South Carolina is making massive use of the transfer machine. That's the big difference for USC and LSU. Huge.

The game has been transformed by the new transfer rules. Will we take advantage of non-graduate transfers?

Reaction Score
It is also going to make Cardosa very effective inside when they can't all play the Iowa defense. Don't guard anyone on the 3 point line and have 5 inside the paint to defend and hope you can get a rebound. It worked and Dawn saw the need for a change. Much better shooter then Cooke.
Iowa defended both Beal and Cooke from the outside, and Beal was a 40% shooter from outside last year. The issue with South Carolina this past season was that they always had 2-3 people on the court that didn't need to be defended outside the foul line extended. They have some freshman that can shoot coming and and PaoPao so that will definitely help their perimeter game in that regard but they lose the overwhelming advantage they had inside that opened up their perimeter game so much last year.

I think South Carolina's biggest issue next year is going to be defense but I still think they'll be a top 10 team with potential to be top 5 if certain players make big leaps.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is making massive use of the transfer machine. That's the big difference for USC and LSU. Huge.

The game has been transformed by the new transfer rules. Will we take advantage of non-graduate transfers?
We only have one spare scholarship to use and no one in the portal fills the one gap we have, so no.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she’ll be better than Hailey Van Lith, let’s pump the breaks on Johnson, we all still remember the Iowa game.
PaoPao was one of several good candidates to be a significant addition to SC. The outside shooting part of her game makes sense. I always thought the portal was probably going to allow both SC and LSU to add a significant guard. One spot has been filled and I would be shocked if LSU doesn't also add one, even if they don't get Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score
Some rebuilding year. They look like the favorites to win the SEC again this year. Dawn has done very well preparing for this transition.

You may be right about Raven being the best pg in the SEC, though it will require her to make a leap comparable to what Nika did last season. I think she’s capable of it. PaoPao and Raven may turn out to be an upgrade from last year’s backcourt.

Similarly, although Kamila isn’t quite the low post scoring threat Boston has been, she is formidable, and Watkins looks like a suitable replacement for Saxton if not an upgrade. The piece Dawn may not be able to replace so easily is Beal.
I don't see how LSU isn't the favorite to win the SEC with Hailey Van Lith, Reese, Johnson, and their incoming freshman class. South Carolina is going to have to do quite a bit of work to shore up the gaps defensively that all the seniors have left, which is the side of the court that really set them apart the last few years.

Reaction Score
I don't see how LSU isn't the favorite to win the SEC with Hailey Van Lith, Reese, Johnson, and their incoming freshman class. South Carolina is going to have to do quite a bit of work to shore up the gaps defensively that all the seniors have left, which is the side of the court that really set them apart the last few years.
You have a point there, especially if Kim signs Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score

Who’s going to run the offense?

Reaction Score
SC got exactly what they needed. A floor spacer, with an added bonus for creating for teammates. The defense and chemistry will come. Dawn always has a good defensive team and I doubt there will be another collective of shot blockers like Cardoso, Feagin, and Watkins anywhere else in the country. If they land Morrow it would be a huge addition to an already super talented team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The whole thread would have been immeasurably improved if the thread title had said "South Carolina Bags Oregon Duck".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom