Something To Be Thankful For — Diaco Keeps Things Simple | The Boneyard

Something To Be Thankful For — Diaco Keeps Things Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Something To Be Thankful For — Diaco Keeps Things Simple (The M.A. audio is interesting.)

>>"There's tactical work that needs to be done," Diaco said, noting that early-morning prep by the coaching staff would start a truncated workday. Players, many headed to the homes of coaches or the homes of local host families, were to be cut loose early, able to focus on blessings, family, friends, turkey, pie — all the usual good stuff. Everybody," Diaco said, "is going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving." Yes, that's how he put it. Everybody is going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Those with an appreciation for the thesaurus or even the filibuster, or a painstaking pull through every darn detail of the challenging production that holiday meals can be, were left without something like, "There are plans in place to tactically carve a cooked bird, distribute equal portions with great care and energy and love and focus and passion, enhance the meal with the proper accoutrements, while at the same time staying true to our values as a program, department and institution."

Everybody is going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Simple. Refreshing.<<

>>Diaco will stand as the UConn football coach after Saturday's season-closing game against Tulane. And there is no reason to believe Diaco won't be standing as the UConn football coach into next season. Nothing indicates athletic director David Benedict is considering a change. Change will take place elsewhere. Diaco will work Sunday and it is an important day for the program. Decisions that will be finalized and/or announced sometime next week will be acted on. Coaches will gather Monday.

It is doubtful that the 2017 offensive coordinator will be in the room. Several departures among assistants are expected and the Huskies will work quickly to assemble a staff charged with fixing what Diaco has called "A Molotov cocktail of ugliness."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just friggin outstanding. He assembled his staff and now the fix after theee years is clean them all out. What a crock of horse pucky. They all need to go especially the nut behind the wheel who drove the car off the cliff. If this holds true, it's classic UConn half maneuvers.

Reaction Score
So long season ticket base.

Zero chance I re up if he is head coach next season. What a joke. I will go to games but buy tickets on secondary market. Not giving a cent as a donation.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Anthony writes and seems to buy that Diaco will be back for year 4,
totally hoodwinked with no push-back By him.
Well, the Courant trends about 3-6 months behind the BY.....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Part of the learning process is hiring a bad staff, having to fire them, then hiring a new staff. We are all partners on Bob's journey.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Okay I'll admit it. I'm curious as to who will be the new coordinators. I am not anticipating being wowed because we don't and won't have a salary pool like what Houston did this year (and Houston will likely cut back whenever Herman leaves). But I'm curious.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Anthony writes and seems to buy that Diaco will be back for year 4,
totally hoodwinked with no push-back By him.
Well, the Courant trends about 3-6 months behind the BY.....
Read the rest of the article . Anthony has been a marked upgrade. Jacobs hasn't held back either.

Reaction Score
The biggest mistake that Uconn can make is not cutting this psycho loose when his buyout is reduced in January. He is completely detached from all reality. Its like he is watching events unfold that no one else on earth is privy to. What is the benefit of keeping him for a fourth year? Does anyone honestly believe that things are suddenly going to click and next year's team will win 7-9 games?

If this dingbat is in charge they will be lucky to win three, and more likely he's cut loose mid season like PP. Sometime you just need to admit that you screwed up, own it, and move on. Letting a legit crazy person continue to run the program into the ground is not a good look.

Reaction Score
Lets look at UCF - UCONN 2016.

A game that UCONN led before giving up 2 quick TDs to end the first half and then didnlt score after the fake fake real FG kick game.

UConn (3-5, 1-4 American) has lost four of its last five games after a defeat Diaco called “sickening.”

UConn’s Arkeel Newsome ran for 101 yards, scored a TD, and wide receiver Noel Thomas caught nine passes for 165 yards, but UConn’s struggles in the red zone continued. The Huskies came away with field goal attempts much more often than it would have liked.

“The whole collective unit. Poor. Ridiculous,” Diaco said of his offense.

Sickening. Poor. Ridiculous. The OFFENSE in that game. Not the D or his stupid ST's approach.

And now, he knows how to fix it, by scrapping his staff.

Now, agsinst BC, he calls for a fake FG down 7-0 in the first half at 4th and 18 well within range, because he dudn't want the game to end 7-3. Against USF in 2014, he decided to scrap the entire pass section of the offensive playbook in the first quarter because he didn't want to lose 35-0. All quotes. His explanations.

The guy is delusional and needs to go.

New coaches in the ranks under him, don't fix this.

Reaction Score
I would find it hard for a guy with Diaco's ego and offensively risk adverse nature to just turn over offense to new coordinator without inference. He can say he will all offseason but first quick three and out where defense has to get back on field with short break, he will be ordering runs on first two downs on next series. Find strange for guy who is so worried about his defense being tired, is his bend but do not break mentality leaves defense on field for long time which in itself leads them to be tired.

Reaction Score
Diaco needs to take a step back, take a deep breath and look at how contrary some of his decisions were. Does he miss having Don Patterson as part of the brain trust?

If what you want is a grind it out running offense then why not use a fullback? I realized he used the walk on Allmedinger, but don't you really want a mature upperclassmen in that role?

And don't you need to use more than 2 scholarship running backs to make this work and preferably one with some breakaway speed? He has done a reasonably good job stockpiling big guys but not so some much on the skills position front. He also may have really miscalculated redshirting the 2 frosh running backs Vickers and the kid from TX and the WRs Skanes and Dixon.

I think we will see some of the underutilized TEs (Holman?) and DLs (Atkins) move to the OL. And if it were me I would target 2-4 difference maker JUCOs and Grad students for the OL and DL.

I don't think we are that for away (look at the Cincy win and the near win at Navy) and would opt for the surgical approach to fix things.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Diaco hates complicating his record with victories.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
In his feeble mind he's in the drivers seat ,wait til AD sees all the empty seats next season

Reaction Score
Been tempted to post before but one of the biggest mysteries is how do you plan on being a power running team without a fullback, obviously not needed in a spread but required for our offensive scheme especially when our backs do not break lot of tackles.. While it is troubling how certain linemen miss too many blocks, however on many runs when we are stuffed in between the tackles, everyone is blocking somebody but the defense is sending in 7 or 8 so a linebacker comes free to hit the back. Verducci brings in couple of tight ends but they are lined up on edge so do not have an impact, needed a fullback to lead the back to the whole. Very annoying watching Temple play as their fullback makes block after block springing the carrier for nice gain while we went nowhere as Temple brought the house and there was not a fullback to pick up anybody who got through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom