Soliciting a prediction... | The Boneyard

Soliciting a prediction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In sports, nothing is ever certain (ask Nick Saban!), but it appears that for the next month our favorite team will not be seriously challenged by anyone. Then, we get South Carolina, who now opens their SEC schedule.

Just curious to know what others think: Will USC come to Connecticut undefeated? I predict not, but ardently hope that they will.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here's their schedule leading up to the UConn game:

DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Sat, Nov 15 vs USC W 70-61
Thu, Nov 20 vs Clemson W99-41
Sun, Nov 23 vs San Diego St W89-38
Thu, Nov 27 vs Wisconsin* W67-44
Fri, Nov 28 vs #22 Syracuse* W67-63
Mon, Dec 1 vs North Carolina Central W90-26
Thu, Dec 4 vs Charlotte W82-61
Sun, Dec 7 @ #9 Duke W51-50
Sun, Dec 14 vs Savannah St W111-49
Wed, Dec 17 @ Hampton W69-49
Sat, Dec 20 vs Central Michigan* W80-45
Sun, Dec 21 vs Liberty* W84-44
Fri, Jan 2 vs Auburn
Sun, Jan 4 @ LSU
Thu, Jan 8 @Alabama
Sun, Jan 11 vs #11 Kentucky
Thu, Jan 15 @Missouri
Mon, Jan 19 @Florida
Mon, Jan 26 vs#5 Texas A&M
Thu, Jan 29 vsAlabama
Sun, Feb 1 @Ole Miss
Thu, Feb 5 @#19 Georgia
Mon, Feb 9 @#2 Connecticut

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Probably. The schedule works out pretty well for USCar to stay undefeated with most of the toughest games coming at home before the Gamecocks go to UConn.

Georgia on the road in the game before UConn could be the toughest, especially if USCar is looking ahead. Last year the Bulldogs lost their first two SEC home games and then won their last six, so they could definitely be up for USCar at that point.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
I think they will be undefeated as well...........ESPN surely hope they remain undefeated. Could turn out to be the Biggest game on TV before the NCAA Tournament. #1 vs #2. But the Huskies have to do 2 important things between now and then. (1) Keep winning their own games ; and (2) Avoid injuries. If the Huskies can do those things should make for a good game.

I was glad to hear Geno say during his last post game interview that he was ..."looking forward to the USC/UConn matchup. Because its been a very long time since UConn has faced the #1 team in Gampel." Sort of made me think he has that game circled on his calendar like we all do.

GO HUSKIES !!

Reaction Score
I hope they do come to Storrs undefeated....the hype would be great and when we blow them out just think how good we'll all feel back in our rightful place atop the polls. My sense is that would be the best scenario to finally exorcise the Stanford game.

Reaction Score
Probably. The schedule works out pretty well for USCar to stay undefeated with most of the toughest games coming at home before the Gamecocks go to UConn.

Georgia on the road in the game before UConn could be the toughest, especially if USCar is looking ahead. Last year the Bulldogs lost their first two SEC home games and then won their last six, so they could definitely be up for USCar at that point.
Looks doable to me. Yes.

Reaction Score
Massey ratings gives them a 29% chance of coming to Storrs undefeated.

I'm just taking Massey's probability for each of SC's individual games and multiplying them together--as per the standard calculation for the probability of a sequence of independent events occurring. Probably as good an estimate as any.

Keep in mind that SC has already dodged two bullets (Duke and Syracuse). Winning 10 games in a row in a good conference is not easy even though Geno used to do it regularly.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Massey ratings gives them a 29% chance of coming to Storrs undefeated.

I'm just taking Massey's probability for each of SC's individual games and multiplying them together--as per the standard calculation for the probability of a sequence of independent events occurring. Probably as good an estimate as any.

Keep in mind that SC has already dodged two bullets (Duke and Syracuse). Winning 10 games in a row in a good conference is not easy even though Geno used to do it regularly.
But again, USCar's toughest opponents outside of Georgia will all be home games, with Texas A&M and KY, and all 5 of their away games are against the bottom 5 teams of the SEC. The Gamecocks have dominated their home games by a 46 point average margin, though most of the teams were very weak except USC in the season opener, only a 9 point win. The close games have been on the road or at neutral sites, so if the chances are really only 29%, I would guess that most of that missing 71% is because of Georgia. Texas A&M has played a #214 SOS schedule so far and their road games have been a blow-out loss at Washington along with close wins vs SMU and TCU, and just one good showing in an 8 point win at DePaul but in the season opener.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No, South Carolina wont be undefeated when they venture into Storrs... or Hartford. Bridgeport? Danbury ?

Reaction Score
I agree that they likely won't be undefeated. Their offense can be iffy and that type of team is more likely to lose on a given day to a hot shooter or two (see Rutgers). Plus the barely beat SU - a good but not great team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really really really want them to be the #1 seed in Greensboro and bring all of their fans

Reaction Score
B6YnvreIQAAjQp5.jpg:large
[/QUOTE]

16k fans- woohoo. very nice. BUT PRAY TELL, WHERE ARE ALL THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS ??? ??? ???

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
16k fans- woohoo. very nice. BUT PRAY TELL, WHERE ARE ALL THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS ??? ??? ???

In my opinion...... 16,000 fans to watch a team with no championship banners is heck of a lot more impressive than 10-12,000 fans to watch a team with 8-10 banners (Tenn and UCONN) . On a friday night ? vs an unranked opponent? I think its great for WCBB to have a emerging program like that. Its probably the only school in the country with an increasing fanbase

The only WCBB games this year that will match that in attendance will be the Final 4 games in Tampa...... Hopefully can get 16,000 fans at the Final 4 games this season. They might not if South Carolina or TN dont make it.

Reaction Score
In my opinion. 16,000 fans to watch a team with no championship banners is heck of a lot more impressive than 10-12,000 fans to watch a team with 8-10 banners (Tenn and UCONN) . On a friday night ? vs an unranked opponent? I think its great for WCBB to have a emerging program like that. Its probably the only school in the country with an increasing fanbase

The only WCBB games this year that will match that in attendance will be the Final 4 games in Tampa. Hopefully can get 16,000 fans at the Final 4 games this season. They might not if South Carolina or TN dont make it.

The city of Columbia, South Carolina has a population of about 140,000. The Columbia Metropolitan Area has a population of just under 800,000 (798,000) ! Storrs, Connecticut has barely 14,000 folks and when you include the bustling 'Storrs Metropolitan Area' that number soars to 14,544 (not counting the cows)- ergo the numbers. [Taking into consideration undergraduate and graduate enrollment, SC has about 10,000 more students- though clearly the fans at both teams' home games are overwhelmingly locals and non-students.]

Relative to our "hometowns," UConn's attendance amounts to better than 60% of Storrs' total population and 59.999% of the Storrs Metro Area, while South Carolina's attendance reflects about 11% of Columbia's, or 2% of the Columbia Metro Area. I think that suggests that the fan support at games for UConn is every bit as impressive as for SC, if not more so.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The city of Columbia, South Carolina has a population of about 140,000. The Columbia Metropolitan Area has a population of just under 800,000 (798,000) ! Storrs, Connecticut has barely 14,000 folks and when you include the bustling 'Storrs Metropolitan Area' that number soars to 14,544 (not counting the cows)- ergo the numbers. [Taking into consideration undergraduate and graduate enrollment, SC has about 10,000 more students- though clearly the fans at both teams' home games are overwhelmingly locals and non-students.]

Relative to our "hometowns," UConn's attendance amounts to better than 60% of Storrs' total population and 59.999% of the Storrs Metro Area, while South Carolina's attendance reflects about 11% of Columbia's, or 2% of the Columbia Metro Area. I think that suggests that the fan support at games for UConn is every bit as impressive as for SC, if not more so.

But what about the games in Hartford ?

Reaction Score
But what about the games in Hartford ?
The newness of South Carolina being anything but "sucky" can contribute to that and the fact that they just experienced themselves being number 1 for the first time. That newness has worn out for the Huskies though they still do draw quite well. Having had the amount of success they've had for close to twenty years and the nine national titles has created a little bit of apathy, unfortunately. Suth Carolina has gotten the number one ranking almost by default, not necessarily displaying greatness. Quite a difference story, all around. Connecticut beat Tennessee who was a perennial power house and was ranked number one at the time they beat the Lady Vols. They EARNED the ranking but USC fans will take what they can get and jump on the bandwagon. A good whomping might take a way a little of their exhuberance.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The newness of South Carolina being anything but "sucky" can contribute to that and the fact that they just experienced themselves being number 1 for the first time. That newness has worn out for the Huskies though they still do draw quite well. Having had the amount of success they've had for close to twenty years and the nine national titles has created a little bit of apathy, unfortunately. Suth Carolina has gotten the number one ranking almost by default, not necessarily displaying greatness. Quite a difference story, all around. Connecticut beat Tennessee who was a perennial power house and was ranked number one at the time they beat the Lady Vols. They EARNED the ranking but USC fans will take what they can get and jump on the bandwagon. A good whomping might take a way a little of their exhuberance.

Fair enough

They will probably end up averaging around 12-13,000 a game ..... at a Football school no less. Im impressed

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

On the flip side, you drew 13,514 in Hartford for the Duke game and the Hartford MSA is a little bigger than the Columbia MSA. I'm just glad to see the crowds - it's much more fun watching a game with a lot of fellow fans than in front of just a few thousand.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Attendance is down at UConn games, men's & women's. Winning is getting routine in Connecticut, unfortunately. It's good to see the interest in women's hoops build, no matter where.

On the flip side, you drew 13,514 in Hartford for the Duke game and the Hartford MSA is a little bigger than the Columbia MSA. I'm just glad to see the crowds - it's much more fun watching a game with a lot of fellow fans than in front of just a few thousand.
I think the 13,514 was fannies in the seats. I tried to get two tickets together to go to the game and they weren't available. The corporate suits buy season's tickets and give them out as gifts to customers who don't show up. We've been complaining about empty seats in the Civic Center for years because of this. The corporations would do better to donate the tickets to veterans or youth groups if they don't use them.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Thinking T A&M could be a tough game for them in that January line up. With A&M it can be hard to predict who is showing up, but that is the one game in that bunch I'd bet on.
A & M is aggressive, athletic $ talented enough to score with them- I agree!

Reaction Score
A & M is aggressive, athletic $ talented enough to score with them- I agree!

I agree, maybe Georgia, and Kentucky too. Although you never know which Kentucky team will show up.

I watch some of USC - Auburn last night, UConn should easily beat USC. They have no outside game, and when they play a big team they will be in trouble.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
USCar's attendance trends are stunning to say the least, and are reflective of a program in those nice early days of being near the top. Last year the Gamecocks easily had the biggest total increase in attendance among WCBB programs, leaping from an average 3952 in 2013 to 6371 in 2014, about a 60% increase and putting it at #10 in attendance. This year so far the figure is 10,842, which is at more than a 60% jump again. That last number is almost what UTenn averaged last year at TBA to lead WCBB at 11,038. So USCar at this point is on a big surge at the ticket line.

Ohio State is another team that seems to be having a rebound, certainly in attendance and maybe in team performance. Last year they had an increase of 1851 to a 5430 average. Among AAC teams, SMU jumped from a measly 724 in 2013 to 1713 in 2014, thanks in great part to a UConn visit.

And UConn? Well it did rack up the most sets of eyeballs on the season in all games at 327,772, a pretty nifty average of 8,194 in the 40 home-away-neutral games. Comes with being the national champ and those 9 banners.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Attendance is down at UConn games, men's & women's. Winning is getting routine in Connecticut, unfortunately. It's good to see the interest in women's hoops build, no matter where.

I think the 13,514 was fannies in the seats. I tried to get two tickets together to go to the game and they weren't available. The corporate suits buy season's tickets and give them out as gifts to customers who don't show up. We've been complaining about empty seats in the Civic Center for years because of this. The corporations would do better to donate the tickets to veterans or youth groups if they don't use them.

Nan, that's our problem at men's games - companies buy up the good seats and then don't bother to give them to "real" fans. When they do give them away or sell them, it's often visiting fans that gobble them up - especially Kentucky fans, which is aggravating to us who are at every game. It's unfortunate that things have come to be so much about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom