Solar Installation | The Boneyard

Solar Installation

Reaction Score
Just looking for information from those who have converted to solar. Just got a quote - with tax credit and DE energy rebate cost is not bad.

Currently not experiencing super high electric bills but looking at going with electric vehicle in the next 12 months, possibly a hottub/ swim spa in the next year also. I'm looking for savings, but really just like the idea of decreasing my use of fossil fuels.

Any do's/don'ts - the install does include screen guards so no nesting under the panels, house and roof are only 4 years old.

Any questions I should ask?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just looking for information from those who have converted to solar. Just got a quote - with tax credit and DE energy rebate cost is not bad.

Currently not experiencing super high electric bills but looking at going with electric vehicle in the next 12 months, possibly a hottub/ swim spa in the next year also. I'm looking for savings, but really just like the idea of decreasing my use of fossil fuels.

Any do's/don'ts - the install does include screen guards so no nesting under the panels, house and roof are only 4 years old.

What state are you in? I've not done it, but it varies pretty widely state by state. Some cause all power to go back to the grid, and you just get a credit. Others you can draw your own power, send excess to the grid (or store it in a battery), and draw from grid when you need more.

So depending on what you want to do, you should be aware of how your state handles it. If you're in a place where you might need a generator, you can consider something like a Tesla Powerwall.

Reaction Score
Micro inverter vs String system.
How old is your roof and when will it need to be replaced? Because those panels are going to need to come off and go back on.
Roof leaks/ sealing etc.
Ask about net metering.

Just be prepared that the guys that come out to install are going to be vastly different than the one that sold you.

Reaction Score
I'm in Delaware - excess is credit on my bill. Most people down here with solar pay minimal fees to Delmarva Power.

Already have a whole house generator hooked up to my propane line. Have a heat pump that is electric if temp above 40, propane if below.

Reaction Score
We got solar panels in western NY in 2021. Cost after federal and state credits was about 12K for a system that generates about 8000 kWh per year, should pay for itself in 10-15 years.

The solar company should take your annual energy usage (if you expect to increase it with an EV -- another thing we did -- include that as well) when putting together their quote/proposal of how many panels, etc. In our case, they aimed for an output just under our annual consumption because the power company only gives credits and doesn't pay us for any excess energy generation over the 12-month period. Yours may work differently.

We also got a free 5-year "insurance" on the production, where they would pay us double for any shortcoming in our system relative to their projection. You might see if any kind of guarantee like that is offered.

Having a new-ish roof is good. You would absolutely want to get any roof work taken care of before putting panels on, for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Micro inverter vs String system.
How old is your roof and when will it need to be replaced? Because those panels are going to need to come off and go back on.
Roof leaks/ sealing etc.
Ask about net metering.

Just be prepared that the guys that come out to install are going to be vastly different than the one that sold you.
House is only 4 years old so no roof issues. Delmarva installs a NEM

Reaction Score
We got solar panels in western NY in 2021. Cost after federal and state credits was about 12K for a system that generates about 8000 kWh per year, should pay for itself in 10-15 years.

The solar company should take your annual energy usage (if you expect to increase it with an EV -- another thing we did -- include that as well) when putting together their quote/proposal of how many panels, etc. In our case, they aimed for an output just under our annual consumption because the power company only gives credits and doesn't pay us for any excess energy generation over the 12-month period. Yours may work differently.

We also got a free 5-year "insurance" on the production, where they would pay us double for any shortcoming in our system relative to their projection. You might see if any kind of guarantee like that is offered.

Having a new-ish roof is good. You would absolutely want to get any roof work taken care of before putting panels on, for obvious reasons.
Shooting for 8kw - they allow your average over the last 2 years + 10 or 20%

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Got solar in 2018 through SunPower. We lease the panels - probably better to purchase if your home is long term (ours is we just didn’t do it.) Honestly didn’t do a ton of due diligence at the time but we have zero tree coverage and it is a no brainer to have some sort of solar at this location.

Really enjoy the energy savings, but we did get an EV this year and that’s sapped a bit of it. Would probably consider some additional panels (and a battery system) in the future.

Reaction Score
Got solar in 2018 through SunPower. We lease the panels - probably better to purchase if your home is long term (ours is we just didn’t do it.) Honestly didn’t do a ton of due diligence at the time but we have zero tree coverage and it is a no brainer to have some sort of solar at this location.

Really enjoy the energy savings, but we did get an EV this year and that’s sapped a bit of it. Would probably consider some additional panels (and a battery system) in the future.
If you have no tree coverage and a roughly-south-facing roof at a roughly-30 degree incline, it is an absolute no-brainer anywhere in the country.

Reaction Score

A Hottub/SwimSpa running entirely on electricity will drain electricity like pulling out the cork in a kitchen sink and the all electric ones have issues. Get one that heats the water with propane (you can have the tank buried in the ground or not) and then you’ll only need the electricity for lights and the pump. The electric heaters cost 4 figures to replace.

Reaction Score
A Hottub/SwimSpa running entirely on electricity will drain electricity like pulling out the cork in a kitchen sink and the all electric ones have issues. Get one that heats the water with propane (you can have the tank buried in the ground or not) and then you’ll only need the electricity for lights and the pump. The electric heaters cost 4 figures to replace.
My gas service is propane - I don't have an individual tank, but the development has a tank farm. My generator, grill, stove fireplace and heat are propane so I am pretty sure I would be able to set up the hottub/swimspa off that.

Reaction Score
Look what Eversource did with the KWh this winter, 12-24 cents. What % are electric rates going to go up yearly over the next 10 years?

Reaction Score
Look what Eversource did with the KWh this winter, 12-24 cents. What % are electric rates going to go up yearly over the next 10 years?
All the more reason to switch

Reaction Score
All the more reason to switch
I've had panels more than 10 years and it was well worth it. Each home has to be evaluated for roof suitability, roof condition, age etc.

Reaction Score
My gas service is propane - I don't have an individual tank, but the development has a tank farm. My generator, grill, stove fireplace and heat are propane so I am pretty sure I would be able to set up the hottub/swimspa off that.
Propane heaters aren’t cheap either. Ours is 250k btu for a 16x32 pool that has an 8’ deep area. About 22k gallons. Had to have some repairs done over the years (almost 20 now), and are on heater #3. They last 8-9 years if your lucky. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Propane heaters aren’t cheap either. Ours is 250k btu for a 16x32 pool that has an 8’ deep area. About 22k gallons. Had to have some repairs done over the years (almost 20 now), and are on heater #3. They last 8-9 years if your lucky. Good luck!
In Florida I have a new heat pump pool heater, been great Not costly to run. Not sure about in Ct. if it would work as well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’d double check local fire codes that in case you have a house fire, firefighters will enter the house. Solar panels are not light and compromise the structure of a roof, especially when there is a fire and loading is more dynamic.

I believe some towns in CT (maybe DE) restrict fire fighters from going in solar panel’d houses that have fires in the upper floors or near roof.

Reaction Score
In Florida I have a new heat pump pool heater, been great Not costly to run. Not sure about in Ct. if it would work as well.
Might be worth looking at. We don’t get enough sun to not have a heater. Never hit 80* the first 2 years pre-heater.

Reaction Score
Might be worth looking at. We don’t get enough sun to not have a heater. Never hit 80* the first 2 years pre-heater.
And just did a quick check, and it doesn’t look feasible for the northeast. Need 100* temps for best efficiency, and below 86* makes it almost entirely electrical.

Reaction Score
This thread made me realize I am one extremely old multilayered roof away from even considering solar power.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, if you read the new bill closely, u will find that 'service charges' (ie everything that's not generation) is now billed at a % of generation, and not just a collection of line item charges like before.
slick, sneaky, and highly neither discussed or mentioned.
in Connecticut today, 24 cents per plus 13 cents per for the rec, make a 'green' kwh generated worth 37 cents.

and speaking of that % thing, hey SEIA! a little help on this, please, cuz every legit 'fuel' (ie, nat gas - next winter looks real bad for that) increase will automatically trigger a service price rise as well, and that don't seem fair.
oops, forgot to mention 'consider a battery.' they're mahvelous, and depending on your jurisdiction, u can send the juice backward into the grid at high demand/price times, and make bank.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Is there any time frame for the solar shingles? I think they look great and would definitely be interested.

Reaction Score
That’s the same way we have our house set up, so you’re in a good spot. We also have a heater that runs off propane for our pool, my wife hates the cold water. Lol

We have solar panels all over the roof so our Eversource bill is usually only around $75-100 during the warmer months even when the AC is cranking.

Reaction Score
I’d double check local fire codes that in case you have a house fire, firefighters will enter the house. Solar panels are not light and compromise the structure of a roof, especially when there is a fire and loading is more dynamic.

I believe some towns in CT (maybe DE) restrict fire fighters from going in solar panel’d houses that have fires in the upper floors or near roof.
I will check on that - there are so many homes with solar in this area, many newer not sure that is an issue, but thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom