SoCal Folks - How are you preparing for the great Tropical Storm of 2023? | The Boneyard

SoCal Folks - How are you preparing for the great Tropical Storm of 2023?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've got all my stuff charged and ready. I've dropped all things that could be blown over down or stored. Got some frozen food out and ready so I don't have to open the freezer.

I don't really expect it will be any worse than a very wet winter storm, but they are hyping it so much I can't stop doing things.

Most worried about power being down.

What are you doing or expect?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just left Cali after three weeks in Antelope Valley area. They're gonna get a bunch of rain.

People need to be wary of flash flooding and washout.

Birds should have a field day with the fairy shrimp popping up out of the dirt.

Reaction Score
I've got all my stuff charged and ready. I've dropped all things that could be blown over down or stored. Got some frozen food out and ready so I don't have to open the freezer.

I don't really expect it will be any worse than a very wet winter storm, but they are hyping it so much I can't stop doing things.

Most worried about power being down.

What are you doing or expect?

I put this little Roomba like thing on the pool cover that supposedly drains water off of it. Other than that I did absolutely nothing. So I feel pretty good about things.

Edit: if we’re being completely honest I didn’t even do that. I just told my wife I would so I took it out of the garage and put it in the back yard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's rain! Not the end of the world! I guess I'm still a CT guy at heart.

Rain in So Cal is different than rain in CT. Much quicker elevation changes and different soil for absorption or runoff.

There is 6'k to 8'k elevation changes throughout So Cal and the soil is firm.

It's rare for a system of this type to track but California has plenty of data points on what happens with Pineapple Express storms in the winter.

Reaction Score
Rain in So Cal is different than rain in CT. Much quicker elevation changes and different soil for absorption or runoff.

There is 6'k to 8'k elevation changes throughout So Cal and the soil is firm.

It's rare for a system of this type to track but California has plenty of data points on what happens with Pineapple Express storms in the winter.
This is why I live on flat ground 5 miles from the beach and 5 miles from the nearest mountain or large hill. No basement to flood and a fairly new roof.

Reaction Score
After being up in Vermont for a month and seeing quite a few landslide sites and a ton of flood damage, I’d be edgy. I saw several homes washed off their foundations and down the hill.

I’ve been through Hurricane Ian and the VT floods in the last year. When one of these weather events really brings it, it is scary. Most of the time, storms are duds and we get conditioned not to worry. If you are on a hillside or near a river bed in California, take precautions and leave even when gently told evacuation is a good idea. Not worth the risk or the tension while riding it out.

Reaction Score
Hurricane Ian made storms a lot less funny. Clean up is far from over. The perspective that these storms are a joke is the best marketing strategy the insurance companies have ever done. Everyone's hard working and nobody wants their stuff destroyed.

Reaction Score
Just started raining hard here in San Diego. Winds gusty, but not too bad yet. I think the real action will be 30+ miles inland. But I do have my avocado toast ready, and my blue and white umbrella at the ready. Went out earlier in the light rain.. repping the Huskies, of course.

Attachments

• ScottUmbrella.JPG
    ScottUmbrella.JPG
    532.8 KB · Views: 143
Reaction Score
Just started raining hard here in San Diego. Winds gusty, but not too bad yet. I think the real action will be 30+ miles inland. But I do have my avocado toast ready, and my blue and white umbrella at the ready. Went out earlier in the light rain.. repping the Huskies, of course.

Stay safe

Reaction Score
Pacific Beach?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I drove past this exit every day for the past three weeks before leaving Cali on Friday. Near the Lancaster/Palmdale border on Hwy 14.

Capture.JPG

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hoping all the BY SoCal folks are safe. The mudslides looked pretty bad in some spots. SoCal definitely isn't equipped for tropical storms the way the southeastern U.S. is. Much different capacity to absorb that kind of rain, and really, they don't even have storm drains.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom